250 2C Power Dynamo Rotor
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 250 2C Power Dynamo Rotor

Name
    David Price
    Member #

250 2C Power Dynamo Rotor

Iíve got a Power Dynamo ignition system and Iím having problems with the rotor moving out of position on the crank of my 250 2C. On several occasions itís moved out of position, for example this morning I hit a false neutral and over revved the bike slightly and immediately the ignition timing shifted, luckily only a mile from home and all downhill. Has anyone else had this problem and if so has anyone found a solution. Iím getting to the point where Iím trying to think how I can cut a slot into the rotor and put the original woodruff key back in the crank. Any better suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

Name
    John
    Member #
    How about a 'locking' compound? like Loctite bearing lock.

Name
    David Price
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by black nails View Post
    How about a 'locking' compound? like Loctite bearing lock.
    Iíve just tried that thanks. Painted it onto the taper and threads and put a spring washer under the nut. Just letting the loctite go off overnight and Iíll give it a spin tomorrow so fingers crossed. Hopefully itíll work because Power Dynamo reckon cutting a slot for the woodruff key doesnít work according to their website at least.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    John
    Member #
    I'm sure (ish) it will work, it's strong stuff, as long as it is a fairly tight fit, the only problem is getting the bugger off again, when you want to.

Name
    Richard Powell
    Member #
    My brother damaged his crankshaft getting a flywheel off that was loctited. Is the taper on the crankshaft true, I have fitted 2 of these for other Benelli owners and not had this problem. The only problem we had was that the casing needed extra thick gasket fitting to stop the flywheel rubbing it!
    The Benelliman
    1981 Benelli Sei 900
    1989 Benelli Sei 900
    1976 Benelli 125 Enduro
    1981 Benelli 250 2c
    1976 Benelli 250 Quattro
    1992 Ducati. 907 ie

Name
    David Price
    Member #
    Itís definitely not rubbing the casing. When I first fitted it a year or so ago it was catching so I ground some material out of the inside of the case and made a thick gasket, I checked for evidence of rubbing on the case and flywheel and thereís nothing. Itís just a bit frustrating why itís now doing this because apart from this issue the bike is running really well. Although I have been lucky when it has broken down, once I managed to coast to a stop outside a pub and once within a mile long downhill run of home, so not all bad.

RUSSBUS
    Name
    RUSS
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DaiP View Post
    Itís definitely not rubbing the casing. When I first fitted it a year or so ago it was catching so I ground some material out of the inside of the case and made a thick gasket, I checked for evidence of rubbing on the case and flywheel and thereís nothing. Itís just a bit frustrating why itís now doing this because apart from this issue the bike is running really well. Although I have been lucky when it has broken down, once I managed to coast to a stop outside a pub and once within a mile long downhill run of home, so not all bad.
    When you put the rotor on give it a firm tap with a bronze hammer, don't swing at it with all your puf just a firm tap from about 4" out. it will 'home' the two tapers.

Member #
    A slight digression but it relates to the PowerDynamo system. What modifications are needed to the wiring loom of the 2C when fitting the system?
    Obviously all the wiring from the old alternator, reg/rec, and ignition can be done away with but I’m puzzled by the blue and green wires that used to be connected to the reg/rec. The PD instructions say to connect these to the positive feed from the new regulator but that just seems to provide an unswitched feed to the headlight. How have you lot got round this?

Member #

PD Ignitions

Iíve got a lot of experience with these Powerdynamo and they never go wrong. I was the UK dealer for a few years and never had any problems so I would hazard itís someth8ng to do with your crank. If itís not already been said Iíd lap the rotor onto the crank and then get a bit of pipe and give it a tap so that it sits on the crank pin best it can. I use these on all the race bikes Iíve ran since 2007 and have always been well satisfied.

you could try contacting that factory. They are really helpful. Their address is on the website. This should also be the case for who you purchase it from.

Best of luck

Member #
    The PowerDynamo website actually gives advice on what to chief the rotor slips, it states not to use Loctite. http://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/info/slipping.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors