500 LS Smoking cylinder
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 500 LS Smoking cylinder

Name
    John
    Member #

500 LS Smoking cylinder

This weekend I decided to find out why no.2 cylinder is smoking, mostly at tick over and after being on overrun. valve stem oil seal thinks I. So I removed the cylinder head to have a look, the inlet tract on no.2 was oily, so I removed the inlet valve to examine the seal, it wasn't as tight around the stem as it could be, but not loose, so I looked a bit further and knocked out the valve guide, the 'o' ring was ok but I replaced it and re-fitted the guide, lightly lapped the valve in, replaced the stem oil seal, and re-fit the valve and springs.
    The combustion chamber is a bit pitted, and the dodgy camshaft is starting to plane off the new rocker arm fitted @ 500 miles ago. Anyway, I have re- assembled every thing, started her up, and there was no smoke, apart from the initial puff due to oiling everything inside the engine on re-assembly, as she warmed up, smoke has reappeared. I am hoping this is residual oil in the exhaust pipe, I will find out tomorrow when I ride her to work.
    I will report tomorrow.

Name
    John
    Member #
    Well, that didn't turn out very well !!!
    I set off this morning, the engine pulling strongly, Just slowing down for some traffic lights about a mile away, and heard a rather shocking, whizzing sound, but the engine was still running, I snatched the cut-off switch, and pulled myself together.
    I removed a tappet inspection cover, left the cut-off switch turned off, and touched the starter button, it turned over ok and the rocker arm went up and down.
    I really did not like that sound, so I did not attempt to start it, without investigation. so, my friend recovered it in his trusty van.
    I have stripped it to investigate, the camchain tensioner has broken, there is a chain scar on the cover, and the camshaft is about 30 degrees out, I have not looked any further, I am worried about the valves being damaged etc.
    I think I need to let things sink in, before I decide my next move.

Sponsors