Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Cosmo

Thread: A plea for assistance

Name
    John
    Member #

A plea for assistance

My 500 LS is driving me nuts!
    The rolling chassis is great, she handles like she is on rails, nice and compact for pushing through the traffic, etc. This is why we love them so much.
    Unfortunately, the engine has really seen some abuse, not from me I hasten to add! She will not run smoothly, no matter how many hours spent with timing, carbs, vacuum guages, the whole caboodle. The cylinder head has been machined by an unknown amount, the camshaft has had a repair that is not as good as it might have been.
    The gearbox is sticking in and out of 3rd gear and is very clunky and rattley, (is that a real word?)

I was hoping to get a Sei engine to rebuild and fit next year from Orlando, but he seems to have gone quiet at the moment, I hope all is well with him. So I only wanted to run this 500 engine this year until winter, and then fit the Sei. you know what they say about 'best laid plans'.

Unfortunately a lot of damage has happened due to the cam tensioner breaking, So it looks like she is coming off the road again, The engine really has to come out, and needs to be rebuilt completely, and properly this time, that means another summer lost, unless an alternative pops up to tide me over until winter, like a good cylinder head & tensioner or a Quattro or LS engine
    So if anyone has anything in the shed that might be of use, please get in touch, I really don't want to miss this year.

I know a Sei engine makes a very cool doorstop, but it would be much better in my frame!

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    Hi
    I think the Sei engine might be too wide for the compact 4 cyl frame of the ls. Some way better bike builders than me have had a good look at it and given up either due to ground clearance or strength. I'd realy like to see it done mind.

Name
    John
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornadoboy View Post
    Hi
    I think the Sei engine might be too wide for the compact 4 cyl frame of the ls. Some way better bike builders than me have had a good look at it and given up either due to ground clearance or strength. I'd realy like to see it done mind.
    Well... Right from when I first got her, it has always been in the back of my mind, if you consider the Quattro and the Sei frames are very much alike except a couple of mounting brackets for coils, airbox etc. nearly all the running gear is just about the same, I'm not sure about the suspension ratings. The engine mountings are just about the same.
    The LS it just a Quattro in a frock really, maybe a bit more carefully built, weight wise, so I really think it is worth having a go.
    I'm probably wrong, but if anyone can enlighten me, all advice gratefully accepted.
    The difficult bit is getting an engine.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Cosmos
    Member #
    Keep looking for another lump.
    As you may know I have fitted a Sei engine in a 504 sport, so it'll drop straight in to your LS. A Honda CB500F or CB 550 will also drop in using the original Benelli engine mounts alternator and all. The only bit that isn't a straight swap is the exhaust/airbox because the Hondas have upright cylinders. A cheap 4-1 Honda system can be shoehorned on though as-is (with some persuasion), and K&N's sort the intakes!
    I have seen Kawasaki aircooled lumps fitted up to 750cc, but that's far more work.
    Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Cosmo; 07-02-2018 at 11:13 PM.
    black nails and RobShed like this.

Name
    John
    Member #
    Oh, Cosmo, how cruel, your bike is stunning.
    Thanks very much for the encouragement though, I have just had a message from Orlando in Florida, who is pulling out the stops to get what looks like a very old, neglected Sei engine over to the uk, I am looking foreward to giving it a nut and bolt rebuild ready for next year, fingers crossed.
    Meanwhile, if I can get the old girl up and running, just to last this season, I will be happy indeed.
    During next week, all being well, I will carefully examine the extent of the damage, I already know that some valves are bashed and have scarred the pistons, I don't know If they are still ok, What I really need is a complete head to just make sure, that would also cure my dodgy cam and unknown amount of skimming my head has endured, ( the engines, not mine,)
    It would have to happen while we are having a heat wave, with record temperatures, being stuck in holiday traffic in the car is slowly killing me, I have taken my Chinese bike off the road, and have started doing big modifications to it, so that is no help either.

Sponsors