Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MrHonda1948

Thread: 500 Quattro coming my way...

Name
    Bill Silver
    Member #

500 Quattro coming my way...

500 Quattro coming my way...-auction2.jpgI had a Sei a few years back and now have accidentally bought a "1977 Benelli 500 Quattro" on an online auction. The bike has the 4 shoe drum brake up front so am not sure if it is a 1977 or not. There seems to be a few variations on a theme. Anyone other than the guys in Germany have spares available for this model? Did they have the same transmission issues as the 750s?\

Bill
    Last edited by MrHonda1948; 10-18-2018 at 06:25 PM.
    R Powell likes this.

Member #
    That's a nice "accident". They came out in 1974 and the US got some in 1975. I have owned 4 of these Qattros and when you get it sorted out you will really enjoy it. Arguably the best model of the line up back then.
    Ian

Name
    Bill Silver
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsei View Post
    That's a nice "accident". They came out in 1974 and the US got some in 1975. I have owned 4 of these Qattros and when you get it sorted out you will really enjoy it. Arguably the best model of the line up back then.
    Ian

I assume that it isn't a 1977 model.... I may become your new best friend if you have that much experience with these models. Thanks for your reply.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Ian Jamieson
    Member #

Quattro 500

Definitely earlier than 1977 as it has the double drum brake fitted which was for 74-75 only. The early bikes like yours should also have the larger 200 mm Grimeca rear drum brake which was eventually changed over to the smaller unit as per the 750 six's. In 1976 they changed to a single disc for part of the year then the switched to the 500 LS (lightweight Sport) which had double discs on the front and the frame was lighter due to reduction in frame tubes diameter. In 79 they announced the 504 Sport which had cast wheels and different bodywork, exhausts etc. Personally I like the early bikes with the drum brake better. They look more "classic". The later models from the LS onward had a stronger gearbox and the 504 sport had a different foot change shaft and gear change lever. Some Honda 500/550 parts will fit but dont be fooled by the common myth that its a direct copy of the Honda 500 cos it isn't. Check the Benelli Nederland Club site for cross references to Honda parts which are a direct fit.
    Regards

Ian

Name
    Bill Silver
    Member #

Conundrum on the Benelli Quattro 500

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. The confusion is that the sticker on the steering head (can't see it on this photo) says the year is 1977....! Will try to get a better shot of it later on.

Frame 1740 and engine 1514. I would be glad to hear more about a registry of these bikes.

500 Quattro coming my way...-engine-number.jpg500 Quattro coming my way...-sticker.jpg
    Last edited by MrHonda1948; 11-22-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Name
    Bill Silver
    Member #

Quattro 500 sticker

The frame number stamped is the same as the number on the sticker. Notice that the frame number and engine numbers are not that close together. Not sure if they were supposed to match or not on a Benelli.

Thanks for your feedback and replies to this mystery....

Bill

500 Quattro coming my way...-sticker2.jpg500 Quattro coming my way...-engine-number.jpg

Name
    Bill Silver
    Member #

Update...

[QUOTE=p65crosser;241237]Definitely earlier than 1977 as it has the double drum brake fitted which was for 74-75 only. The early bikes like yours should also have the larger 200 mm Grimeca rear drum brake which was eventually changed over to the smaller unit as per the 750 six's. In 1976 they changed to a single disc for part of the year then the switched to the 500 LS (lightweight Sport) which had double discs on the front and the frame was lighter due to reduction in frame tubes diameter. In 79 they announced the 504 Sport which had cast wheels and different bodywork, exhausts etc. Personally I like the early bikes with the drum brake better. They look more "classic". The later models from the LS onward had a stronger gearbox and the 504 sport had a different foot change shaft and gear change lever. Some Honda 500/550 parts will fit but dont be fooled by the common myth that its a direct copy of the Honda 500 cos it isn't. Check the Benelli Nederland Club site for cross references to Honda parts which are a direct fit.
    Regards

Ian

I was in touch with the Benelli people in Spain who claim that there were 7 different transmissions for the 500-Sei models and that they have made replacements for them! I have used an entire CB500 engine gasket kit on the top end repairs so far including a Honda intake valve, which is just ever so slightly shorter than the Benelli part. I replaced the oil sump on a Sei that I had with a CB650 sump which added a half quart of oil to the engine reserves. Bolted straight up to the engine cases. This bike does have the 200mm brake on it. I couldn't find the cross-reference information on the Dutch Benelli site. Could you provide a link, please?

Bill

Sponsors