Benelli Sei 900 Front Wheel
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Benelli Sei 900 Front Wheel

Name
    Christopher Davis
    Member #

Benelli Sei 900 Front Wheel

I have just bought a 900 Sei and the front brakes are juddering badly. I have just stripped the front end to find the the front wheel has been machined where the disc locates, I presume to cure a warped disc problem making the wheel scrap. I am now after a

new/secondhand wheel if anyone has one they wish to sell. I have also posted this thread in the Wanted Section.

Thanks,

Chris.

Name
    Cosmos
    Member #
    I don't know of one, but I think the Moto Guzzi Spada 1980 ish 18"- 2.15 one is a direct match for the spoke shape (so are the discs) There may be a "guzzi" casting mark, but you'd be pushed to find it. I'd be interested to know if the 2.15 front rims on the 900 are marked "Benelli" or have guzzi sandcast into them!

By the way, bear in mind the disc surfaces are machined flat on these rough sand cast wheels in any event, so before you go buying a wheel - check if its not just warped discs. That is a very common problem on the brembos.
    I'd be very surprised if there was a problem with the wheel unless someone has tried to repair it after a bad ding. Unlikely to get damaged on the disc facings unless it's suffered underwater corrosion levels- even then you could shim the disc face after machining flat. Good luck anyways.
    Last edited by Cosmo; 11-29-2018 at 11:44 AM.

Name
    Richard
    Member #
    Hi Chris,
    A couple of points. You say your front brakes are juddering, but you should have linked brakes on the 900 so hopefully only one disk is causing the juddering. Also, the disks don’t bolt directly to the wheel but to the disk carriers. I could be mistaken. I owned a 900 once but that was many years ago. Like Cosmo, I suspect your problem is with one of the disks. I had the same problem with a Guzzi earler this year and bought some new disks for it. Problem solved.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Christopher Davis
    Member #
    Thanks for the replies. The original owner gave me two sets of discs with the bike, the originals which look in good condition and new discs which were already fitted. He did tell me there was a judder when the brakes were applied and I hoped he may not have removed the powder coating from the hub. When we removed the discs from the wheel we found thin plastic spacers between the hub and discs and the hub had also been machined. We found that that one of the new discs was out of true which and I think the previous owner thought the wheel was at fault, hence the machining and spacers.

I have delinked the brakes and used a new Brembo PS15 master cylinder as I had done on my Moto Guzzi Le Mans, this gives a very good front brake. I am not a fan of the linked brakes, I know a lot of people swear by them but for me it makes things simpler and more like what I am used to.
    I have put the original discs back on the wheel and there seems less run out when the wheel is spun, I hope to try it this weekend with new pads. I have also rang Selwyn who thinks he may have a wheel available and if the new set up does not work I think the wheel may well be the problem.

Name
    Cosmos
    Member #
    Hi Chris,
    Do explore all possibilities, get the wheel in a jig to check runout of the discs and the wheel rim and hub and I hope you solve the problem. Also check the obvious - those big 2 piston calipers often get a sticky piston, that's often the cause of warped discs.
    Incidentally, I also removed the linked system on my Sei 504/820 special and fitted a modern remote cylinder goldline Brembo from a Ducati 996. Much more feel than the original, even with the stock calipers.

Sponsors