• 4 Post By p65crosser
  • 4 Post By p65crosser

Thread: Pasolini Replica

Name
    Ian Jamieson
    Member #

Pasolini Replica

Hi All
    I am attaching some photos of my Pasolini Project to date. Engine is still at Selwyn's but promised it by Christmas. The front forks are replica Ceriani GP items as are the yokes. The steering stem is period Ceriani and includes a friction steering damper. Front hub is Grimeca double sided drum with 230mm Ceriani twin leading shoe brake plates. Front mudguard is as close as I can get to the "works" mudguard. Rear wheel is 200mm Benelli Grimeca converted to cable operation via left foot and rear suspension units are alloy bodied Falcon adjustable items. Retaining the electric start on the engine but without the generator. Ignition is electronic by self generating Electex World ignition which is basically the Honda unit but with slight amendments to the fitting kit by Selwyn.
    Have got a set of double curvature megaphone exhausts but need to get engine in frame before I can start on the pipes, Seat and petrol tank are from Italy as is the fairing which is also awaiting engine before fitting can commence. The seat base has been covered in Alcantara leather which wasn't cheap. The material is £121 per metre before you start but I think its worth it.
    It seems to be taking forever to get all the bits and the only thing you can be sure of is that most sub contractors will let you down and because you cant deal with part B until part A has been sorted and you always seem to be behind!
    Pasolini Replica-img_5682.jpgPasolini Replica-img_5681.jpgPasolini Replica-img_5680.jpgPasolini Replica-magaphones-holland.jpgPasolini Replica-img_5678-1-.jpgPasolini Replica-rollling-chassis-2.jpg
    Aiming to get it finished fir April Stafford Show but who knows!
    Regards

Ian
    DenH, Kevin S, Nickolarge and 1 others like this.

Member #

Tips where to find parts

Quote Originally Posted by p65crosser View Post
    Hi All
    I am attaching some photos of my Pasolini Project to date. Engine is still at Selwyn's but promised it by Christmas. The front forks are replica Ceriani GP items as are the yokes. The steering stem is period Ceriani and includes a friction steering damper. Front hub is Grimeca double sided drum with 230mm Ceriani twin leading shoe brake plates. Front mudguard is as close as I can get to the "works" mudguard. Rear wheel is 200mm Benelli Grimeca converted to cable operation via left foot and rear suspension units are alloy bodied Falcon adjustable items. Retaining the electric start on the engine but without the generator. Ignition is electronic by self generating Electex World ignition which is basically the Honda unit but with slight amendments to the fitting kit by Selwyn.
    Have got a set of double curvature megaphone exhausts but need to get engine in frame before I can start on the pipes, Seat and petrol tank are from Italy as is the fairing which is also awaiting engine before fitting can commence. The seat base has been covered in Alcantara leather which wasn't cheap. The material is £121 per metre before you start but I think its worth it.
    It seems to be taking forever to get all the bits and the only thing you can be sure of is that most sub contractors will let you down and because you cant deal with part B until part A has been sorted and you always seem to be behind!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5682.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	550.3 KB 
ID:	30417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5681.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	628.8 KB 
ID:	30419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5680.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	597.8 KB 
ID:	30421Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magaphones holland.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	30423Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5678 (1).JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	611.3 KB 
ID:	30425Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rollling chassis 2.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	30427
    Aiming to get it finished fir April Stafford Show but who knows!
    Regards

Ian
    A fantastic project of yours! Looks amazing..

Since I plan to build something similar I just wounder if you please could give any tips about finding parts? I just have the frame and an original engine. I need everything else.
    Thanks Karl

Name
    Ian Jamieson
    Member #

Pasolini replica

Hi karl
    It all depends on how far you want to go and how accurate you want to be. I have gone a bit overboard with some of the stuff. For example the front forks are replica GP items which cost over £1200, fork yokes £440 Ceriani steering stem £ 150 front hub (before rims etc) £1000, plus rim, spokes wheel building etc and you are looking at a front end that has set me back £over 3K!
    It could be done for a lot less. If you went for a Saarinen replica you could use a complete disc front end set up fro a 500 LS for less than half the cost of a drum front end. I have a set of ls forks which I was going to use with a pair if 2c Marzocchi yokes bored out to 35 mm which would do the job.
    Replica seat, tank and fairing are available from Disco Volante in Wales as are lots of other stuff see.
    www.discovolantemoto.co.uk

Rear drum is 200 mm Grimeca as fitted to the 650 tornado and 500 quattro.
    Borrani replica rims from Italy.
    I bought my fibreglass direct fom Dico Volante's supplier in Italy last year when I was in Pesaro for benelli week. They have correct seats and tank for either Saarinen or Pasolini replcas.
    ..:: EUROPLAST - Vetroresine ::.. - www.europlastsucci.com

Curved megaphones from Jon Clarjis in Holland about €420 plus carriage
    Be aware NONE of this stuff is plug and play and needs a lot of engineering to make it fit and if, like me, you dont have that expertise you will have to depend of out sourcing. I am lucky as I have access to a retired tool maker locally who is also a bike nut so I am able to get a lot of good work done at a reasonable cost.

If you want any advice or help PM me and I will give you my email address and I acn give you more details.
    Regards

Ian
    Last edited by p65crosser; 12-16-2018 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Correct email address for Disco Volante

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Kevin Scudder
    Member #
    Thanks for the posts on your project, it looks really good, I hope to get to see at Stafford. One small thing, your link to Disco Volante had a slight typo, https://www.discovolantemoto.co.uk should get you there.

Name
    Ian Jamieson
    Member #

Some Progress

Pasolini Replica-img_5693.jpgPasolini Replica-img_5692.jpgPasolini Replica-img_5694.jpgPasolini Replica-img_5695.jpg

Spent a day and a half with my friend Michael making brackets and fitting the double curvature megaphones. Not an easy job. One set fitted not too badly but the other was very wrong. The bottom megga had to be cut,reformed and re-welded but we got there eventually. He took a little time as I wanted the brackets to look like the ones on the works bike and I think he has done a good job. Fitted an engine "breather" pipe to the right hand megga but this is blanked off as modern regulations do not allow breathers to be routed into the exhausts.
    Also shown is my "dummy magneto" on the front of the oil filter! The series 1 works bikes initially used a Lucas magneto driven off the central cam gear train and fitted to the front of the engine. They found that the Lucas item couldn't cope with the high revs and converted to a magneto from a Mercury outboard motor on the 1A engines. For the series 2 bikes, commonly called the Saarinen bikes, the mag was re-positioned behind the engine but still a Mercury item.
    I used a modified Citroen distributor cap to imitate the Mercury mag. Actual ignition will be an Electrex World self generating item. Current engine is still a dummy lent by Selwyn prior to fitting the actual engine when finished. Next step is to get the fairing brackets fabricated and fitted then I an getting an oil catch tank made up to look like the original works sump. Progress is slow but rather do it right than rush the job.

Ian

Name
    paul
    Member #
    Very nice work, it is going to be an amazing bike, i would love to see & hear it running.

Paul

Name
    Ian Jamieson
    Member #

Nearly done!

Still waiting for the electronic ignition to be fitted and then start up and carb tuning. Basically all the rest is finished so will be on the Benelli Club stand at Stafford Show this weekend. First run will be at Festival of 1000 bikes at Mallory in July.
    Been a long time but nearly there!
    IanPasolini Replica-img_5700.jpgPasolini Replica-img_5702.jpgPasolini Replica-img_5703.jpgPasolini Replica-img_5704.jpgPasolini Replica-img_5705.jpgPasolini Replica-img_5706.jpgPasolini Replica-img_5707.jpg

Sponsors