125 Sport Special primary drive/clutch
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 125 Sport Special primary drive/clutch

Name
    Stuart Baker
    Member #

125 Sport Special primary drive/clutch

Hi,
    work to get my Benelli Sport Special back on the road is progressing (slowly).
    The main problem with the engine/gearbox was that the gear change shaft had snapped off, presumably when the bike went down the road. So Iíve got the primary cover off and removed the clutch drum so I can replace the shaft.
    Problem is that in my enthusiasm I did not notice that the clutch drum has dots on it to line up with the pinion. I have not removed either of the gears so they remain indexed but can anyone tell me what the correct positioning for the clutch drum is?
    And BTW compared to the Bantam Iím used to Wow! Great engineering.
    Thanks

Name
    Peter Radix
    Member #
    The procedure is as follows: line the dots on the clutch drum up with the dot on the crankshaft pinion, rotate the crankshaft in clockwise direction, then install the camshaft pinion lined up with the dots on the crankshaft . Note that the function of the dot on the clutch drum was only intended for reduction of transmission noise, I suspect that on an older engine the position of the clutch drum vs the crankshaft will not matter very much. The line-up of crankshaft with camshaft is of course crucial.
    Hope this helps.

Name
    Stuart Baker
    Member #

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Peter R View Post
    The procedure is as follows: line the dots on the clutch drum up with the dot on the crankshaft pinion, rotate the crankshaft in clockwise direction, then install the camshaft pinion lined up with the dots on the crankshaft . Note that the function of the dot on the clutch drum was only intended for reduction of transmission noise, I suspect that on an older engine the position of the clutch drum vs the crankshaft will not matter very much. The line-up of crankshaft with camshaft is of course crucial.
    Hope this helps.
    Thatís really helpful. Thanks for all the info including the reason for the indexing. Itís back together, just need a tool to hold the clutch centre while I tighten the nut and bend up the tab washer.
    Many thanks.
    Stu

Sponsors