Benelli 650 Tornado Electrical Problems
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Benelli 650 Tornado Electrical Problems

Member #

Benelli 650 Tornado Electrical Problems

I have just completed a rebuild on my Benelli Tornado 650. During the course of the rebuild I have updated the electrics including a full rewire, fitting a Motogadget M Unit and new lights, indicators etc. Everything appears fine and when the engine is not running all the lights etc are good with no apparent faults. However after starting the bike the LED indicators and running lights built into the indicators randomly turn off and on even when not operating the indicators! I have other LED lights such as the tail and brake lights which are working fine with the engine running. Do you think it is something with the indicators themselves? They were an eBay buy from an unknown supplier but seemed OK when the engine was not running. Or do you think that modern LED lights may have a problem with voltage stability from the dynamo and voltage regulator?

Member #
    Did you use a turn signal relay designed for LED? A regular one will not work properly.

I would suggest also making sure your earths are nice and clean and in good condition, with an extra between battery and the engine itself (not just to the frame).

Member #
    Yes the M Unit is designed for LED devices. I have run a good earth between the battery and frame and seperate earth wires back to a central point. Was wondering if the regulator could effect the voltage that drops below the operating voltage required by the indicators? Or mabe some "stray" voltage or back feeds. Would diodes, resistors or something help?

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    I wonder if the ‘M’ unit does not like the voltage variations? I’m not really familiar with those- never heard of it until now (I did do a quick lookup on it).
    Also make sure a separate cable between batt and engine itself- since the generator is on the engine, sometimes the frame/engine connection is not really that great. Especially with a newly painted frame.
    same with regulator, assure earth is excellent.

if you have access to an oscilloscope, see how ‘flat’ the output of the generator/regulator looks. Since a generator has not AC component, it would just be changing DC. From what I’ve seen, it usually is pretty good.

Perhaps a capacitor to ‘smooth’ everything out?
    (Could you test fit a regular incandescent bulb for turn to test?)

just some thoughts.

Mark

Sponsors