Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lotus54

Thread: 650 starter

Name
    DENIS
    Member #

650 starter

Hi all.has anyone any experience of the electric starter on a 650s tornado,mine spins but doesn't engage with the engine,not sure if it's not spinning fast enough or if it failing to engage with something ? Any advice or info gratefully received.
    when i was young i was very indecisive,now im older im not so sure.

Name
    Richard Powell
    Member #
    Hi Denis, some times they stick when not used regularly. Try jump starting from a car battery, that should spin it up faster and make it engage. I once found using a different oil made this problem worse!
    The Benelliman
    1981 Benelli Sei 900
    1989 Benelli Sei 900
    1976 Benelli 125 Enduro
    1981 Benelli 250 2c
    1976 Benelli 250 Quattro
    1992 Ducati. 907 ie

Name
    DENIS
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by R Powell View Post
    Hi Denis, some times they stick when not used regularly. Try jump starting from a car battery, that should spin it up faster and make it engage. I once found using a different oil made this problem worse!
    Thanks for the tip,it crossed my mind to try jump starting it but was afraid I'd burn something out !.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    I think I had to replace the sprag clutch on my 650 when I owned it (back in the 70s).

The engine is quite easy to work on- except every bolt seemed to be torqued to one million foot pounds.
    I had a bent shift fork, I popped the engine out, flipped it upsidown and pulled the bottom off. Easy to replace the bad parts.
    (Well, that is my memory- who knows how many troubles I had I am now glossing over).
    DenH likes this.

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DenH View Post
    Thanks for the tip,it crossed my mind to try jump starting it but was afraid I'd burn something out !.
    As long as you use a 12V battery and connect it he right way around to jump start it you won't burn anything out.
    Well, If you crank it on the starter for 10 minutes you could cook the starter motor or its power cable, but that's true whether it's connected to a jump start battery or not.

Name
    DENIS
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
    I think I had to replace the sprag clutch on my 650 when I owned it (back in the 70s).

The engine is quite easy to work on- except every bolt seemed to be torqued to one million foot pounds.
    I had a bent shift fork, I popped the engine out, flipped it upsidown and pulled the bottom off. Easy to replace the bad parts.
    (Well, that is my memory- who knows how many troubles I had I am now glossing over).
    I think I might have to strip it because the kick start jams down sometimes and I can see wear on the teeth.

Sponsors