Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Benelli sei 1978 - Project underway

Name
    Richard
    Member #
    Hi Mark,
    Mike Brown had 100 of these stickers made a couple of years ago. He might still have some left if you're quick.

This is a link to his posting on this forum from 2018 :

https://www.benelliforum.com/forum/c...-stickers.html
    Lotus54 likes this.

Name
    Richard
    Member #
    Also, if you are still looking for the alternator rotor removal tool, you can get them from Moto Guzzi parts people. Gutsibits in the UK have them on their web site:

https://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheSh...pPage=2#topbar

I see you are in the States, so you will probably want to look somewhere more local to you, but at least you can see what you're looking for. It is really just a long bolt, but it needs to be strong as you will need a lot of torque to pop you rotor off ( in my experience ).

Name
    Mark Hollingsworth
    Member #
    Thanks,
    I did get the long bolt type tool, Iím replacing the alternator with the higher output permanent magnet one from endurolast. The rotor came right off with the tool.

Mark
    1978 Benelli sei, 1973 Benelli 250 SuperSport, 1968 Benelli Dynamo Trail, various OSSAs, Electric Motion Escape ĎRí (on order)

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Mark Hollingsworth
    Member #
    I split the cases this morning. One thing I noticed when I took a connecting rod cap off- the manual says: The locating teeth should face the front of the engine.
    At least on the one I took off, it was facing the rear.

Does anyone know if the manual is correct for that? I have not taken the rest off, although the weight marking on them is sometimes toward the front, sometimes toward the rear- so I suspect the rods are in both directions...

I have seen signs the engine has been at least part way apart- looks to me like the locking rings on some nuts have been re-used. But no other signs. It is a later bike, so I donít think it would have been part of the gearbox recall. (I certainly could be wrong on that). Gearbox looks great. Bearings look pretty good, but Iím going to replace them- I do see some wear. I have not measured clearance yet (out of Plastigauge).

thanks for any help.
    Mark
    1978 Benelli sei, 1973 Benelli 250 SuperSport, 1968 Benelli Dynamo Trail, various OSSAs, Electric Motion Escape ĎRí (on order)

Name
    Mark Hollingsworth
    Member #
    View of the open engine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Benelli sei  1978 - Project underway-6440f478-bdfb-4d2c-9be8-369bdfcb3665.jpegBenelli sei  1978 - Project underway-b4135daf-4fd8-43d7-a44b-d2e51a7ecbd9.jpeg

Name
    Mark Hollingsworth
    Member #
    I got my cases vapor honed- they look great!Benelli sei  1978 - Project underway-5380bdb9-6418-4b5f-86e7-413366a30cd8.jpegBenelli sei  1978 - Project underway-f7ca2303-931d-42a3-985d-36f3d38a47d1.jpegBenelli sei  1978 - Project underway-2ea14c44-0173-489c-bd64-3ea6ca74de2e.jpeg
    wachuko and R Powell like this.

Name
    Mark Hollingsworth
    Member #
    Some updates.
    One of my big orders was lost by the Post Office. Even with pictures and detailed description nothing has been found.

So they finally admitted they lost it and the supplier has shipped replacements - along with (hopefully) all the bearings etc I need.

Iíve been working on the wheels. I had a spare rear, so I pulled it apart, vaporhoned the hub, polished the rim. I got a set of Stainless Spokes/nipples from Buccannan. The rear is together, Iím trueing it now.
    Then I took apart the front (interesting setup)- vaporhoned it, polished rim and Iíve gotten it all together and trued.

Next Iíll do the original rear, a 4-shoe drum Iím putting on my 73 250 SuperSport (off a 2C).

Benelli sei  1978 - Project underway-580af4a3-2fb7-4b23-ab56-cacfc9036286.jpeg

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
    I received the 78 750 Sei I bought today. I knew it was pretty rough, but actually a little better than I thought.
    turns over fine, most stuff is there. It has a Kilometer speedo, so either a Canadian or European import I think. (Iím in the States).

It has clip-ons, a small 1/4 fairing, resets and a Marving 6-1.
    Iím putting it back to stock, if anyone is looking for those items.

It is that green colour I didnít like when new either. Iím changing to red.
    I bought a new 750 sei about 1976/7. It was that same green, I told the dealer I didnít want it if it was green. He had a red Quattro on the floor, so swapped it (so mine had an extra hole in the side covers, I just put red tape on the backside). He said ĎGood thing I like you, since the MSO listed colour too and I had to do some talking to get the State to properly list titleí.

I will be posting updates, but it will be a bit before I do much of anything. Iím finishing an addition to my garage, that will make it much nicer to do this. I would like to start it up before I go too far- see if the engine needs overhaul or not. But of course need oil change etc first.
    I donít have a key- so Iíll be looking for the number and see if the outfit in England (or here) could cut a key from the numbers. Otherwise Iíll take it off and see if there are any real locksmiths still around. There used to be one here that could Ďimpressí a key pretty darn quickly.

Mark
    Detlef Burian, of Benelliparts.de is a great guy and a GREAT Source for virtually ALL parts for the SEI

Name
    Mark Hollingsworth
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevekni View Post
    Detlef Burian, of Benelliparts.de is a great guy and a GREAT Source for virtually ALL parts for the SEI
    yes, the big order coming right now is from him. Iíve gotten quite a bit of stuff from him. Also Benelli-Bauer, but Detlef has a LOT better communication.

thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsors