• 2 Post By Lotus54
  • 1 Post By RussP
  • 3 Post By RussP

Thread: Benelli sei 1978 - Project underway

Name
    Mark Hollingsworth
    Member #

Benelli sei 1978 - Project underway

I received the 78 750 Sei I bought today. I knew it was pretty rough, but actually a little better than I thought.
    turns over fine, most stuff is there. It has a Kilometer speedo, so either a Canadian or European import I think. (I’m in the States).

It has clip-one, a small 1/4 fairing, resets and a Marving 6-1.
    I’m putting it back to stock, if anyone is looking for those items.

It is that green colour I didn’t like when new either. I’m changing to red.
    I bought a new 750 sei about 1976/7. It was that same green, I told the dealer I didn’t want it if it was green. He had a red Quattro on the floor, so swapped it (so mine had an extra hole in the side covers, I just put red tape on the backside). He said ‘Good thing I like you, since the MSO listed colour too and I had to do some talking to get the State to properly list title’.

I will be posting updates, but it will be a bit before I do much of anything. I’m finishing an addition to my garage, that will make it much nicer to do this. I would like to start it up before I go too far- see if the engine needs overhaul or not. But of course need oil change etc first.
    I don’t have a key- so I’ll be looking for the number and see if the outfit in England (or here) could cut a key from the numbers. Otherwise I’ll take it off and see if there are any real locksmiths still around. There used to be one here that could ‘impress’ a key pretty darn quickly.

Mark
    Last edited by Lotus54; 10-16-2019 at 08:20 PM.
    ron d and R Powell like this.

Name
    ron daly
    Member #
    Hi, sounds good what your doing and yes pictures and updates please once you get going.

Name
    Mark Hollingsworth
    Member #
    Here is a picture. I have the left side cover, and the seller claims to have the other. Now to actually get it! I do have another (Quattro) but would certainly rather get the original (since it should have emblems too).

I have a new seat cover, open to suggestions on the foam. I ordered Busso 6-6 pipes.

I will need to source brake rebuild parts (I think MG cycle has the Caliper parts)- hoses too of course (or just have some made up locally).
    Load of other stuff of course. Ha!

I hope to start working on it by next month.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Benelli sei  1978 - Project underway-e89166a1-491d-4c74-9aeb-a876a67a3543.jpeg   Benelli sei  1978 - Project underway-477cc0ae-ac56-416f-9879-9c5ce4c808df.jpeg  

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Mark Hollingsworth
    Member #
    I think I found caliper rebuild kits on MG Parts- but I have not been able to source anything for the master cylinder.
    I found a few threads here talking about it- but no answers on where they found it.
    I would certainly think one of the ‘standard’ Brembo kits of the day would fit, but I can’t find so far.

Benelli-Bauer does not list anything and I’ve been slowly going through other sites to see if I can find anything.
    The master is not seized or anything and I have not taken it apart yet. But I believe it may be in decent condition and just needs seals.
    I’ll probably just have some braided hoses made up- I’m not going to make a show bike out of this, but a rider. But I would like it really nice.

the Green/Blue on this bike is the same colour I couldn’t stand that my original sei came in. (Re: story of dealer swapping with Quattro for me).

thanks for any help.
    Mark

Name
    Mark Hollingsworth
    Member #
    Question on the fuel tank emblems.
    I assume those have two ‘pins’ on the back of the emblem and push into the receptacle on the side of the tank.
    where are the pins located? I don’t want to break anything getting them off.

Mark

Member #
    I got the rebuild parts from Benelli Bauer, one has look up each part off the part list, they had all the parts to complete the rebuild of both calipers and master cylinder. by the way the top rubber will get eat up of you use the incorrect fluid. I know from experience.
    Lotus54 likes this.

Member #
    my 77, manufacture date 10/76
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lotus54, savijo and R Powell like this.

Name
    Mark Hollingsworth
    Member #
    Since mine appears to be an ‘Electronica’ - anyone know where I can source new stickers for the side panels?
    I will repaint the bike original red (or as close as I can find), so of course the stickers will have to come off.

I’ve just been collecting parts I know I’ll need- still finishing my garage work before starting on the bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    Steve Siggins
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
    Since mine appears to be an ‘Electronica’ - anyone know where I can source new stickers for the side panels?
    I will repaint the bike original red (or as close as I can find), so of course the stickers will have to come off.

I’ve just been collecting parts I know I’ll need- still finishing my garage work before starting on the bike.
    I have a NOS side panel in that color! You won't need it if you are going to red!
    I also have 2 NOS side panels in the Red which I am using for my restoration. I will be using them as a color match for my tank
    which needs painting back to original.

Sponsors