350RS forks
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 350RS forks

Member #

350RS forks

I have nearly finished the 4 year resto on my 350RS. When I wheeled it off the bench to test brakes etc I noticed a " clunk " which I think came from the forks when I applied the front brake and the forks dipped. Has anyone any one an idea what this may be, and what have I done wrong when I rebuilt the forks. I do not think there is any play in the headstock bearings.
    Any ideas will be welcome.

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    There are a few possible causes, but the most likely would be loose steering head bearings.

If adjusting the steering bearings doesn't fix it. It'll be something in the forks. If they are the same as the Guzzi-style units on the 90 Sei, the internal damper units could be knackered.

Name
    DENIS
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Motobi Bry View Post
    I have nearly finished the 4 year resto on my 350RS. When I wheeled it off the bench to test brakes etc I noticed a " clunk " which I think came from the forks when I applied the front brake and the forks dipped. Has anyone any one an idea what this may be, and what have I done wrong when I rebuilt the forks. I do not think there is any play in the headstock bearings.
    Any ideas will be welcome.
    Silly question,have you enough oil in the forks? What grade oil ? Try pumping forks up and down a few times,I rebuilt the forks on my 354sport with no problems,they were straightforward enough.
    when i was young i was very indecisive,now im older im not so sure.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #

Oil in forks

Hi DenH, I have puy 70cc in each leg as the manual says, I thought at the time this was not very much, I have used ATF as this seems to be the most common oil to use. I have seen on You-tube that one rebuild used about a pint in each leg so I do not know which is right. Any ideas ?

Thanks Bry.

Name
    DENIS
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Motobi Bry View Post
    Hi DenH, I have puy 70cc in each leg as the manual says, I thought at the time this was not very much, I have used ATF as this seems to be the most common oil to use. I have seen on You-tube that one rebuild used about a pint in each leg so I do not know which is right. Any ideas ?

Thanks Bry.
    i used 15 grade oil I'm sure I put more than 70cc, I'll have to check Bri
    when i was young i was very indecisive,now im older im not so sure.

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    If the manual says the oil quantity is 70cc, then they must be the Guzzi-type forks (used by Benelli when Alejandro De Tomaso owned both Benelli and Moto Guzzi) they only need a small amount of oil for lubrication. The damping was done by replaceable hydraulic damper cartridges that look a bit like the gas struts you see on car hatch-back doors.

Looking at pictures of 350RS bikes on Google, I can see some forks that look like the cartridge type, and others that look like more conventional Marzocchi or Ceriani. I presume they changed the fork spec at some stage in the model series.

You need to identify what type of forks your bike has. The damper cartridge type look like the forks on the bike in the attached picture. They have a polished area below the rubber dust cap on the slider, with a raised band just below that. Conventional oil-damped type forks have a plain cast alloy appearance without any of those banded areas.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #

Oil in forks

Hello all, thanks for the help with my forks problem, it turns out that it was the pads in the caliper that were worn and making the noise, happily not the forks. The forks are of the cartridge type so the small amount of oil was correct. Almost ready for MOT and registration. Many thanks once again. Brian.

Sponsors