Tornado 650S2 Kickstart and sprag clutch - Page 3
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tornado 650S2 Kickstart and sprag clutch

Member #
    Many thanks for your replies Niell and Romaldo. That is the part number that I have for the Ducati too. My sprag is 22 cams as well. I took it to a local bearing place. They could find one from BorgWarner with the same dimensions as for the Ducati 079950195 but I measured the OD as 67.4 instead of 66.4 (difficult because the shaft gets in the way with the housing still on the bike) so thoiught it might not fit. I put my bearing back in to check the clearance and it was much tighter than previously. So I tried turning it by hand and now it bites enough to turn the engine with the plugs in. So I'm going to give it another try. Goodness knows what's going on there. If it fails again I will order the BorgWarner with the Ducati dimensions it will be about £105.

Name
    Neill
    Member #
    I have heard about the Borg Warner sprag but i believe the cage has to be trimmed down to fit you may want to checkthat

Member #
    Just wanted to say that on the Norton Commando forum I go to the folks with electric start have found a chinese repop sprag for British stuff. Inexpensive and works good. I bet they do an Itialian sprag for Ducs

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Neill
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Nado04 View Post
    Finally got starter reassembled and ready for first startup bit nervous about this SKF sprag clutch after Romaldos experience so I retarded the points a bit to start off with still backfired a couple of times but eventually fired up I am sure I used up my 6 starts! I moved the points back to it's original position and it idled sweet as, took it for my first ride and it pulled strongly no misfiring at all, a lot less vibration than I was expecting except at idle it shakes a bit handling was a bit heavy at low speed but once in second gear felt quite light took a bit of getting used to right foot gear change and long throw and hard ride but overall well pleased with how it went. Next job searches electronic ignition
    Ha Started up the other day had a backfire, mechanical graunch, and that was the end of the the SKF sprag, as predicted,wasnt up to the task, got a new sprag I found on Ebay USA from Bevel Heaven, 22 cam, so I hope this one will last, does anyone know about this one? Also I need a kickstart ,part that clamps onto the spline, anyone got one? I will definatly be looking at fitting electronic ignition now

Member #
    Nado,

For my 350 Wards Riverside Benelli, I built a Velleman electronic transistor-assisted ignition. Remember them, during the cross-over from points to fully electronic ignitions? They keep the points, but the points now act as a low current switch, while the heavy ignition current goes through the electronics. It's supposed to improve ignition, and make the points last a very long time.

Oddly, the biggest gain I noticed in using it, was that it really improved my engine's idle.

Joe

https://www.vellemanstore.com/en/vel...r-ignition-kit

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Nado04 View Post
    Ha Started up the other day had a backfire, mechanical graunch, and that was the end of the the SKF sprag, as predicted,wasnt up to the task, got a new sprag I found on Ebay USA from Bevel Heaven, 22 cam, so I hope this one will last, does anyone know about this one? Also I need a kickstart ,part that clamps onto the spline, anyone got one? I will definatly be looking at fitting electronic ignition now
    here is a kickstart lever on ebay : https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...start&_sacat=0

RE the bevel heaven sprag, it should be the one used for the dukes which is the correct one for the 650. haven't counted the number of cams tho.
    your description of your first ride is common to most first rides but once you get aquainted with it I think you will grow to like it a lot, especially if you live near some twisty road stuff.
    RE electronic ignition. there is only one that I am aware of that is engineered to bolt straight on to a 650 tornado. it is well designed electronically but a little dicky engineering wise but it works well. Also at cranking speeds it is zero advance, handy for the electric start... https://www.elektronik-sachse.de/sho...rnado-650.html

Member #
    heres a link to the Commando sprag thats getting good reviews. They must make others but I havent looked.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32765771350.html

Name
    Neill
    Member #

sprag bearing

Hey looked up the sprag bearing on the above post on Alibaba and found one for $25US anyone used one of these? I ordered one any way to have a look at it

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    I use the Steiber clutch detailed in the parts and supliers sticky for the multies. I'm sure I found it from a suggestion on a Commando or Enfield forum. The trouble folk have with the 650 starter makes me think Laverda starter clutches are reliable!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsors