Tornado 650S2 Kickstart and sprag clutch
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tornado 650S2 Kickstart and sprag clutch

Name
    Neill
    Member #

Tornado 650S2 Kickstart and sprag clutch

Just recently purchased 74 650S2 in pretty good condition except it hadnt run for a year and wouldnt start, eventually got it running after replacing coils and much tinkering with points, cleaning out carbs ect but in the process broke the kickstarter and also the sprag clutch is not engaging. If anyone out there has a kickstart lever or just the stationary piece as listed in catalogue I would be pleased to hear from them. Once I get a new kickstart I am thinking of dispensing with the sprag clutch for the time being so is it a simple matter of removing the sprag bearing and running without it,I have heard that the sprag is a weakness with this model and given that there were 2 destroyed clutches amongst the spare parts I am reluctant to fit a new one until I get the bike running reliably. Any Thoughts Neill

Member #

Sprag

The tornado sprag clutch is the same as the one in bevel ducatis and hence easy to get say from bevel heaven and similar. A bit pricy tho. There is a cheaper one by skf that looks different and is a waste of time. It will work but for only a half dozen starts before it turns to a mangled wreck. My thoughts that the 650 has a tendency to backfire occasionally when starting or stalls and this is a shock to the sprag clutch and chain causing premature failure. Having said that I've become so confident in the electric start that I have dispensed with the kickstart ( the shaft digs in to my ankle). The tendency to backfire is exacerbated when the ignition timing is too advanced so careful there but exact Tdc can be difficult to determine. I now have a electronic ignition which is zero degrees advance for starting and I reckon this nurses the whole electric start system.
    I think there is a kick start lever on eBay from a European vendor. ROmaldo

Name
    Neill
    Member #
    Thanks Romaldo for the info, got a skf

bearing coming from Bevel Heaven so I am hoping it will last a bit longer than half a dozen starts! Was wondering because i learned after I ordered it that they are different, 18 cams instead of 22, but we will see how it goes I have got a sachse electronic ignition system next on my list so as you say hopefully that will be easier on the system for the reasons you have stated and hopefully end up with a reliable electric start
    Regards Neill

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    [QUOTE=Nado04;249583]Thanks Romaldo for the info, got a skf
    hmmm I'm pretty sure it's the skf that's not suitable. Skf is a reputable brand but that unit may not be designed for the job. I exaggerated a little about the half dozen starts but it didn't last long. I bought the bevel ducati one but the price was more like $350au some years ago.

Name
    Neill
    Member #
    Got my SKF sprag bearing and it looks very fragile compared to the original so I am not to optimistic about it lasting so I will be counting the starts hopefully more than 6! Still havent found a kickstart so I haven't got that backup will spend a bit more time getting timing right before attempting to start it

Member #
    I have a similar problem with my starter. I attempting to remover the generator rotor the manual tells me I need a "Parallel Pin". I am guessing from the instructions and a few measurements thet this is just a 6.2mm x 60mm rod. Can anyone confirm this? I dont want to make one and then get it stuck or ruin the inner thread.

Name
    Neill
    Member #
    Yes that sounds right I made one out of an old screwdriver shank

Name
    Neill
    Member #

sprag bearing

Hey Don, I wonder if you noticed if the concave thrust washers on the main shaft were mounted concave to concave or convex to convex, mine was convex to convex when I disassmbled it but that doesnt seem right to me

regards Neill

Member #
    I will make a point of checking and let you know.

Name
    Neill
    Member #
    Finally got starter reassembled and ready for first startup bit nervous about this SKF sprag clutch after Romaldos experience so I retarded the points a bit to start off with still backfired a couple of times but eventually fired up I am sure I used up my 6 starts! I moved the points back to it's original position and it idled sweet as, took it for my first ride and it pulled strongly no misfiring at all, a lot less vibration than I was expecting except at idle it shakes a bit handling was a bit heavy at low speed but once in second gear felt quite light took a bit of getting used to right foot gear change and long throw and hard ride but overall well pleased with how it went. Next job searches electronic ignition

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors