125 2C 4T - the twin that dare not speak it's name
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 125 2C 4T - the twin that dare not speak it's name

Member #

125 2C 4T - the twin that dare not speak its name

hello all - I've just bought myself a Guzzi 125 2C 4T which - for those who don't know - is a 254 minus the outer cylinders. It's pretty tatty, but I think everything's do-able. it's clearly been run into the ground as the rear sprocket is very short on teeth and it has odd indicators, teenaged stickers and all those things that show it's been ridden to death. I think the fron tyre might be the original as it has a production date of february 1981. On the bright side the rear's a matching new Pirelli mandrake made in march 1993!

The only thing i'm a bit stuck on is silencers - it came with one utterly rotten one so I'll need a pair; they seem to be unique to this and the 124 - has anyone spotted any in their travels? As an aside, was there a matching benelli model? I know that there were Guzzi and Benelli series 1 &2 254s but I can't see any evidence of a Benelli 125 2C 4t (or a Guzzi 124/304, come to that).

Stewart Ellinson
    Last edited by stewart_e; 01-21-2020 at 01:05 PM.

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by stewart_e View Post
    the twin that dare not speak it's name
    I can't help you with the bike, but I can tell you where you went wrong with apostrophe placement!
    It's "its", not "it's"

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
    I can't help you with the bike, but I can tell you where you went wrong with apostrophe placement!
    It's "its", not "it's"
    well, i thought i could edit the thread name, but i can't - how frustrating!
    Last edited by stewart_e; 01-21-2020 at 01:06 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    I've wondered if anyone would ever show up here with one of these. It takes a hardcore biker to take on a bike even more obscure than a 254. I hope you got it cheap.

I'm 9 years in slowly getting a Guzzi 254 into daily rider shape. Finished some homade exhaust a year ago and checked valve clearance first time since topend rering and 1 piston from a couple years earlier. Now i'm saving up to get rocker arms hardwelded at megacycle, chrome flaking off most of them. Getting lashcaps for valve ends as several are pitting after dressing ends. The piston rings are oldschool thick and heavy so i'll bet any amount of money or coolers of beer that it burns oil.

Good luck with it, i'm in Oklahoma USA where are you at?

Member #
    I'm in Leeds. UK. It's in decent condition; mostly there but it's clearly been ridden nearly into the ground. The front brake pads are down to the metal, i reckon the rear shoes will be too. I've just traced a pair of NOS silencers in Italy, but dropping the sump reveals a lot of metal sludge, so i'll maybe lift the valve cover and see what's in there.... Nothing good, i'll be bound!

I'll hopefully have it running n the late summer - I've stripped it down to clean and then I'll put it together to see how it runs.

Name
    Richard
    Member #
    Hi Stewart,
    Sounds like you have a real project there. Any chance of a picture or two ?

Richard.

Member #
    125 2C 4T - the twin that dare not speak it's name-124-2c-4t-.jpg125 2C 4T - the twin that dare not speak it's name-124-2c-4t-b.jpg125 2C 4T - the twin that dare not speak it's name-124-2c-4t-c.jpg

It's tatty but is all there bar for a few odds and sods that are easy enough to find. The silencers are the most difficult parts but I have found a pair in Italy. It's in large lumps in the garage at the moment and I've just dropped the sump and cleared a lot of sludge out. Next I'll take the valve cover off to check the rockers and if all is well, the engine will be cleaned and put aside. The cycle parts are OK - i'll swap the forks as I have a spare pair and rebuild the master cylinder and replace the pads and then I'll see how it runs!!

Stewart
    Lotus54 likes this.

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    Blimey. Never seen one of those before. I didn't know such an animal existed.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
    Blimey. Never seen one of those before. I didn't know such an animal existed.
    It's a twin version of the 254; Guzzi records suggest that 1,183 were built 1979-83. I don't think they were sold outside Italy. The later Benelli version was the 124 that was the small version of the 304.

Member #
    Looks like a good starting point. You will have one of the nicest running examples in the whole world.
    So end cylinders missing makes it a 360 twin like a brit bike. Too small to vibrate much and the sound will be unique. Can't wait, OK I can and will wait for a ride report.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors