Benelli 654-504Sport: A question for connoisseurs
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Benelli 654-504Sport: A question for connoisseurs

Name
    Alex
    Member #

Benelli 654-504Sport: A question for connoisseurs

Hi,
    The question is not that easy: Anybody knows which are the differences between the 654's crankcase (ref. 62000101) and the 504 Sports crankcase (ref. 62000101)???

...I have both bikes, mine is the 504 that I bought in 1983, also I bought the 654 in 1987, out of order, and I used it for spares. Years ago I mounted the fork, and the pistons and cylinders of the 654 in my 504sport, without changing the crank. Note that there is a difference of almost 3 mm in the stroke between the two models but in fact, cylinder head, connecting rods, distribution, carburetors... are exactly the same! It worked fine although not very powerful. Maybe the compression ratio was too low, also the piston rings were worn and there was a high oil consomation, so I back to the 500cc and, finally, the bike slept till nowadays, when I'm going to restart the thing - Covid19 permiting-.

My intention is to mount the 654's linkwork in my 504 crankcase. I cannot use the 654 cranckase because it has no documentation.
    Does it fit?

Thanks
    Benelli 504Sport, and no more Italians, anymore!

Name
    Richard Powell
    Member #
    I think the crank cases are the same, Benelli made one part fit many bikes!
    The Benelliman
    1981 Benelli Sei 900
    1989 Benelli Sei 900
    1976 Benelli 125 Enduro
    1981 Benelli 250 2c
    1976 Benelli 250 Quattro
    1992 Ducati. 907 ie

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexcat View Post
    Hi,
    The question is not that easy: Anybody knows which are the differences between the 654's crankcase (ref. 62000101) and the 504 Sports crankcase (ref. 62000101)???

...I have both bikes, mine is the 504 that I bought in 1983, also I bought the 654 in 1987, out of order, and I used it for spares. Years ago I mounted the fork, and the pistons and cylinders of the 654 in my 504sport, without changing the crank. Note that there is a difference of almost 3 mm in the stroke between the two models but in fact, cylinder head, connecting rods, distribution, carburetors... are exactly the same! It worked fine although not very powerful. Maybe the compression ratio was too low, also the piston rings were worn and there was a high oil consomation, so I back to the 500cc and, finally, the bike slept till nowadays, when I'm going to restart the thing - Covid19 permiting-.

My intention is to mount the 654's linkwork in my 504 crankcase. I cannot use the 654 cranckase because it has no documentation.
    Does it fit?

Thanks
    The Barrels are different part number....ie The 654 has higher deck height (+2mm approx) pistons, rings and gaskets are also different.....Aprt from that all other crankcase and head bits etc etc are the same .!
    Last edited by pangloss; 03-24-2020 at 04:02 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Alex
    Member #
    Hi!
    I agree with all of you, Benelli used the same parts for a lot of different models, but the different code numbers of the cranckcases made me doubting.
    I realized the different shape of the pistons, those from the 504 has a "hill" that enters into the chamber, meanwhile 654's pistons have a depression, but I never realized the different height of the cylinders between the models -otherwise it is consistent with the different strokes-.

As soon as this hateful confinement against Covid-19 ends, I will start assembling my little Fankestein...

Thanks!
    Benelli 504Sport, and no more Italians, anymore!

Sponsors