Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1976 125 Enduro Kickstart Ratchet

Name
    Derek
    Member #

1976 125 Enduro Kickstart Ratchet

Hi All,

I hope your all keeping busy.

Since I got the bike it had a problem with the kick start. The ratchet would simply slip. The lever could be pushed, but the ratchet teeth would not engage.

Me being clever, I thought I could just open it up and stretch the spring forcing the two ratcheting parts closer together. Well, that and my stupidity was the beginning of my problems which due to this enforced holiday, I have now had the time to overcome.

To cut a long story short, I stretched the spring making it about another 15cms longer. This enabled me to be able to kick the bike over, and with a dribble of fuel in the cylinder it fired up. Wahay! It ran! For a very short while. No problem. I'll give it a few more kicks and see if the carb is allowing fuel through, since I now know I have a spark, and at the right time.

I went to kick it again, and the kickstart has reverted back to how it was. Slipping ratchet.

So now for the questions...

1. The manual shows the spring with the tighter wound coils toward the left crankcase half. When I took it apart, and looking at the bent ends of the spring, it should fit the other way to how the manual depicts, with the tighter wound coils toward the gear. Does anyone know the correct fitment? It really looks like it will not work if fitted the way the manual depicts.
    2. How worn does the ratchet gear need to be before it is described as worn? There is some wear, but I didn't deem it as excessive.
    3. Does anyone have a picture of a good kickstart ratchet for this bike so I can compare to see how worn mine is?
    4. There is an amount of endfloat in the kickstart shaft. How much is too much? Should there be shims to alleviate this? The bronze bushes are in place and do not look worn.
    5. I saw a picture of a spring on Ebay. It looks really short. Is there meant to be a washer at the circlip on the shaft to hold the spring closer to the gear?

I will try to add some pictures to make my words mean something. The picture of my parts shows the spring the wrong way round to how it came out. I fitted it with the tight coils the other way as it just looked wrong otherwise. If you can zoom into the teeth on my ratchet, please let me know if that wear is excessive. For my next trick, I am going to file the teeth to get a tighter edge on them unless someone tells me otherwise.

I tried winding the shaft round by holding it at the end of the kick, loosening the retaining bolt underneath the crankcase, then winding the shaft on and tightening the bolt again. I did this three times in all. It just means the lever returns quicker, it does not load the ratchet.

Hopefully someone can help.
    1976 125 Enduro Kickstart Ratchet-kickstart-manual.jpeg1976 125 Enduro Kickstart Ratchet-benelli-kick-start-shaft.jpeg
    All the best,

Derek

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    Ratchet looks knackered to me. You could try filing the teeth (what could possibly go wrong) but they might be too hard for the file. A grinder might do a better job and save a bit of elbow grease - that's if you can get inhere with a disk.

Name
    Derek
    Member #
    Thank you for your reply Sprocket.

I saw a ratchet gear for sale on line and it looked in far worse condition than mine which led me to thinking mine wasn't so bad.

I'm back at work now, so when I get time I'll give it a tickle with the Dremel and see if I can make it better..

Have you pulled one of these apart before?

Is the manual picture showing the spring the wrong way round?

Are there supposed to be any shims on that shaft?

All the best,

Derek

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    Sorry Delboy, I've never a one apart. I was just commenting on he rounded appearance of the ratchet teeth.

Name
    Derek
    Member #
    Just to let you know...

Dremel fixed it. (I forgot to take pictures) I don't hold out much hope for it lasting too long, but that's okay. I'll have the Dremel for a long while yet.

That spring doesn't have to load the gear as much as I thought it should. After grinding the teeth, a quick test with little load before I put it back together proved it to be working quite well.

I also learned the importance of a clean mating between crankshaft and magneto. I found the woodruff key broke, so simply replaced it. Bike fired, ran for a few seconds then died. Investigation led me to timing out. Google taught me why the key broke again.

Anyway. Progress made. Thanks for your replies and interest.

All the best.

Derek

Sponsors