• 1 Post By Cosmo
  • 1 Post By Cosmo
  • 1 Post By DenH

Thread: Benelli 354

Name
    DENIS
    Member #

Benelli 354

Hi guys,I've just finished restoring 83 354 sport,it hadn't ran for over 15 years,it starts easily enough but only runs with choke,I've stripped the carbs and cleaned them,they weren't that dirty to begin with,as I said it runs with choke on but won't rev out,points are ok and good spark,just wondering if timing is out and how to check it ? Any advice appreciated.
    when i was young i was very indecisive,now im older im not so sure.

Name
    Richard
    Member #
    Hi,
    I had a similar problem when I first restored my 654. It was resolved when I balanced the carbs. Itís proably more of an issue on a smaller engine.
    I canít promise this as a cure, and you donít say if you have aleady tried it, but itís certainly worth checking.

Richard.

Member #
    DenH,

Recently restored? Photo please!

Joe

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Richard
    Member #
    Ah. I guess the word "recent" was somewhat misleading. I've just checked the thread I started which logged my restoration and the last post was almost exactly four years ago!! Time certainly files when you get to my age.

In case you're interested, there are some pictures of the progress, and one picture of the final result.

https://www.benelliforum.com/forum/c...rn-find-4.html

What the bike still needs is a set of decent exhaust pipes. A couple of months ago I found a complete set with good silencers for sale in Italy. However, my email to the vendor went unanswered.

Member #
    Very nice, thanks for posting that.

Joe

Name
    DENIS
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
    Hi,
    I had a similar problem when I first restored my 654. It was resolved when I balanced the carbs. Itís proably more of an issue on a smaller engine.
    I canít promise this as a cure, and you donít say if you have aleady tried it, but itís certainly worth checking.

Richard.
    Hi Richard thanks for the reply,hadn't thought of that,I was going to check if the advance retard was working,because it's really bad ,if you turn off choke it dies.

Name
    Cosmos
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DenH View Post
    Hi guys,I've just finished restoring 83 354 sport,it hadn't ran for over 15 years,it starts easily enough but only runs with choke,I've stripped the carbs and cleaned them,they weren't that dirty to begin with,as I said it runs with choke on but won't rev out,points are ok and good spark,just wondering if timing is out and how to check it ? Any advice appreciated.
    It sounds as if it's really running lean.
    The obvious thing is to check the float heights are correct and the tabs haven't been bent whilst mucking about with the float bowls and main jets, then check both taps are clean and feeding fuel to the crossover fuel pipes. It should run OK on mains up to 3/4 throttle, but will also be lean if the pilot jets are grotty. That will only be noticed at full chat and show up in lumpiness low down and poor starting, not something you'd notice when on the choke.
    It can't be too serious, if it otherwise runs OK.
    I like 354's, when on song, they like to rev into next week!
    Not much power, but you can't have everything.
    Good luck,
    DenH likes this.

Name
    DENIS
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    It sounds as if it's really running lean.
    The obvious thing is to check the float heights are correct and the tabs haven't been bent whilst mucking about with the float bowls and main jets, then check both taps are clean and feeding fuel to the crossover fuel pipes. It should run OK on mains up to 3/4 throttle, but will also be lean if the pilot jets are grotty. That will only be noticed at full chat and show up in lumpiness low down and poor starting, not something you'd notice when on the choke.
    It can't be too serious, if it otherwise runs OK.
    I like 354's, when on song, they like to rev into next week!
    Not much power, but you can't have everything.
    Good luck,
    . Checked carbs again could see nothing wrong,I've been running it without air box fitted,a bike mechanic told me a lot of bikes won't run without it,so I'm going to try that next.

Name
    Cosmos
    Member #

Wink

That'd be it. I used to run mine with K&N's. The jetting went up a VAST amount. Put the airbox back on and I'm sure that will sort it. That said, there's a few more ponies in there to be had if you let it breathe and have a freer flowing exhaust, they really rev then. The early "Silentiums" on the Serie 1's were not known for being silent and let the engine breathe a bit better than the black end cans fitted to the later bikes which were more restricted inside.
    Good luck
    benellioldman likes this.

Name
    DENIS
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    That'd be it. I used to run mine with K&N's. The jetting went up a VAST amount. Put the airbox back on and I'm sure that will sort it. That said, there's a few more ponies in there to be had if you let it breathe and have a freer flowing exhaust, they really rev then. The early "Silentiums" on the Serie 1's were not known for being silent and let the engine breathe a bit better than the black end cans fitted to the later bikes which were more restricted inside.
    Good luck
    I've sent the carbs for ultrasonic cleaning to make absolutely sure they're clear,I have two new silentium cans fitted,got them on subito a while ago.
    benellioldman likes this.

Sponsors