1968 Wards Riverside Benelli 250 electrical short
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1968 Wards Riverside Benelli 250 electrical short

Member #

1968 Wards Riverside Benelli 250 electrical short

I have a 1968 Wards Riverside Benelli 250 with a dead short in the blue wire that attaches to the battery. I've about worn out my wiring diagram and can't figure out what is going on. The only way I can get rid of it is to disconnect the wire between the ignition switch and the voltage regulator. When connected it seems that every pole on the ignition/light switch is grounded. I've disconnected the brake/tail light and the headlight is removed.

On a related front the red wired pole and the white wired pole on the generator are grounded to the engine . I can't find any documentation to tell me if that is right or wrong. I do know that disconnecting all wires from the generator has no effect on the above blue wire shorting.

I'm pretty close to writing this thing off and parting it out, although it's a pretty nice looking bike.

Any suggestions on how to figure this out would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Name
    Richard
    Member #
    Hi,
    From what you say, it sounds like the voltage regulator is at fault. If you diconnect it, does the bike run, and do the lights and horn work ?

Richard.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
    Hi,
    From what you say, it sounds like the voltage regulator is at fault. If you diconnect it, does the bike run, and do the lights and horn work ?

Richard.
    Lights work. Doesn't have a horn. Don't know f it runs. I put a battery in to check for spark and got off track chasing this short when the battery discharged in a few minutes. I think I'm going to start trying to locate a new regulator.

Thanks for your input.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Richard
    Member #
    Good Luck.

Please let us know how you get on.

Member #

Benelli 250 electrical short

Well, I replaced the voltage regulator. No difference.
    I now have everything disconnected except the white wire that goes from the regulator to the switch and the blue wire from the battery to switch.
    Blue wire still shows a short circuit.
    Made a discovery along the way; with the bulb for the high beam indicator lamp removed the short circuit goes away.
    Which leads me to two questions
    1. Is this light necessary for the bike to run?
    2. Does that mean the short is inside the switch which is a real pain to remove and install?
    Thanks.

Member #
    Ramwing,

Before you chuck it all, be advised that a couple of the factory Riverside wire diagrams have a fatal flaw in the picture. Join this group, which is dedicated to these bikes, and ask there: https://groups.io/g/Wards-Riverside-Cycles

Joe

Name
    Richard
    Member #
    Weird, but good news that you have isolated the source of that short. Unlikely that the bulb itself is at fault.

First, I very much doubt that you need the main-beam warning light in order for the engine to run. Otherwise, if you were riding at night on a lonely stretch of road and the bulb failed, your bike would stop. Could be nasty. However, I have been wrong before.

Secondly, I would suspect that this indicates that your short is somewhere between the headlight switch and that warning bulb. have you tried testing the circuit with the headlight on and off ? and he main beam on and off ?

Member #
    Richard,
    I agree, the issue could be within the headlight switch itself. It is complex, tightly packed, with some fragile pieces. The switch is ripe for re-design / redevelopment.

But I say again; some of the factory wire diagrams have a serious error. They falsely show an improper connection in the rectifier - generator - main switch circuit. Which diagram are you using?

When I get home later today, I'll check my notes on this.
    Joe

Member #

Benelli 250 electric short

Quote Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
    Weird, but good news that you have isolated the source of that short. Unlikely that the bulb itself is at fault.

First, I very much doubt that you need the main-beam warning light in order for the engine to run. Otherwise, if you were riding at night on a lonely stretch of road and the bulb failed, your bike would stop. Could be nasty. However, I have been wrong before.

Secondly, I would suspect that this indicates that your short is somewhere between the headlight switch and that warning bulb. have you tried testing the circuit with the headlight on and off ? and he main beam on and off ?

Yep, I have tested it with light on/off, etc. Seems to make no difference.

Member #

benelli 250 short circuit

Quote Originally Posted by sign216 View Post
    Richard,
    I agree, the issue could be within the headlight switch itself. It is complex, tightly packed, with some fragile pieces. The switch is ripe for re-design / redevelopment.

But I say again; some of the factory wire diagrams have a serious error. They falsely show an improper connection in the rectifier - generator - main switch circuit. Which diagram are you using?

When I get home later today, I'll check my notes on this.
    Joe

I've been working from 2 versions that seem to be different iterations, but the same. My bike is a 14017C, Ser number 76.
    One of the diagrams appears to be from an owners manual and is for models 14017B, 14020 and 14023.
    The other is from Manualslib.com and is supposedly for 14017C,D, 250 cc Touring Motorcycle.
    Wiring seems the same on both. The most notable difference is the Manual uses the term "Regulator" and the Manualslib.com version calls it a rectifier.

I do have a question about the black wire from the Emergency Bypass Switch to the regulator. I can't tell from either diagram where it attaches. Anybody has a clarification, it would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors