Dating my 125 Sport
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Dating my 125 Sport

Name
    Ricardo Ramalho
    Member #

Dating my 125 Sport

Hello everyone!
    I have been putting together a Benelli 125 Sport (one of the latest models)and I can say that there's not much left to put together now... But I don't know the production date. The papers say 1991, but I know this bike had already been discontinued in that year. The frame number is MH 16637, if this can be of any help.... One thing I noticed different from most of the photos I could find on the internet is that the mirror is made in plastic and has a small sticker with the letters "GUZZI". Apart from that, The model was produced between 1979 and 1987 and that's all I know.
    Can someone please give me a hint?
    Thanks

Ricardo

King of the Group-Buys Laurencewhite's Avatar
    Name
    Laurence White
    Member #
    Hi Ricardo,

The Benelli Motobi club GB provide a dating service which is free to members (nah, not that type of 'dating service' ya numpty) So if you send them your VIN/frame number thay should be able to date your bike.

Last edited by Laurencewhite; 08-20-2010 at 02:05 PM.
    Laurence

Benelli Tornado 900 LE No. 49
    Benelli 1130 TNT Titainium
    Benelli 1130 TRE-K
    Benelli 750 SEI
    Benelli 250 2c
    Benelli Motorella

Name
    Rob Fitzmaurice™
    Member #
    Phew, for a minute I thought you had a weird fetish for dating a motorcycle

Anyway, welcome to the forum and have you got any pre-rebuild photo's you can post up ? (I have a fetish for motorcycle photo's ! )

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    steve peace
    Member #

Benelli 125 sport

Hi
    Has Laurence states The Benelli club do a machine dating service please contact [email protected] and state the model frame no and engine no we should be able to help you
    Thanks Steve

Name
    Ricardo Ramalho
    Member #
    Thanks everyone! And sorry about the title causing some confusion
    The bike was like this when I bought it; in one piece but it had a seized piston and the gearbox was not in great shape. The mechanics are now repaired. As for the rest, I aquired the original indicators and the rear light. I still haven't fitted the fairing because the screen is cracked. I'm working on it. It's not a restauration; i just want it to look as original as possible.
    I'll try doing what you suggested and let you know result...

Member #
    With small Benellis, registration and production dates are often wildly different in the UK. In a nutshell, at the time they were expensive and perceived as unreliable. I forget how much a 125 sport cost towards the end, but in the late 1980s, you could have had a TZR125 or AR125 for less money - why would anyone buy a premix 125 with 6 volt electrics?? Even Benelli were doing a watercooled 125 single then (? the "jarno"??).

I once had a Co-uno 125 ( A Benelli 125 turismo, badged as a Guzzi and assembled by Triumph at meriden) which had crawled off the production line in 1977 and not been registered 'till 1981. I talked to the proprietor of the shop who sold it and he told me that he couldn't shift the damn thing for love nor money and he ended up selling it for a pittance. It lasted 3500 miles before the gearbox failed....

Stewart E
    Last edited by stewart_e; 08-22-2010 at 07:07 AM. Reason: sometimes I wonder if english is my first language....

Name
    Ricardo Ramalho
    Member #
    Yes, the problem is that they mainained the model (which was nearly 20 years old at the time) virtually unchanged. By the end of the 80's it was already outdated. I suspect mine was sold way cheaper than the competition (in 1991).

Name
    Ricardo Ramalho
    Member #

Answer

Hello
    I followed your suggestion of emailing [email protected] and I finally got an answer yesterday.
    The reply I got is as follows:

Hi Ricardo

Just checking through my inbox, I can't see through that I replied to your email. My apologies for the delay.

The 125 2C Sport is listed in model range data I have as being built between 1980 and 1987.

The records of manufacturing dates that I have for individual bikes indicate a manufacture date of 1980 for a 2C 125 with frame number 16637.

Let me know if you require a dating certificate. You will need this if you wish to change the date of manufacture on the registration form.

Best regards
    John

Many thanks to you all and to the Benelli Motobi club GB for taking the trouble of providing the information.
    Furthermore, I must tell you that in the meantime I found the parts that were missing on my bike and it is finally complete.
    I will post a photo later
    Cheers!!

Ricardo

Name
    Ricardo Ramalho
    Member #
    Here's the promised photo, finally

Sponsors