Source of oil filter for 71 650 Tornado
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source of oil filter for 71 650 Tornado

Member #

Source of oil filter for 71 650 Tornado

I just acquired a 1971 650 Tornado. Its a really sweet bike, and after cleaning its carbs, I've put a couple hundred miles on her. Initially, I changed its oil, but I haven't been able to find a source for the paper cartridge filter. Any ideas?

Also, the previous owner replaced the clutch, and I suspect he didn't soak the fiber discs before he installed them. Once the clutch gets hot, it gets really grabby and stops disengaging. Any ideas on getting them?

Name
    Lee Hardy
    Member #
    Hi. Have you had a look at www.benelliparts.de?

Not sure if you have a series 1 or 2 650 but both oil filter (€13.20) and clutch plates (€95, hopefully not each) are on there .

Go to above site then select Benelli Teileshop.
    Select the appropriate bike model (the 650s are right at the bottom).
    Oil filter under Motorgehause. Clutch plates under Getriebe Kupplung in the pull down.
    Click on the part number in the diagram to show prices and to be able to add it to basket.

If you get any trouble, just mail Detlef Burian (site owner) at [email protected].

edit: And welcome to the forum. Didn't see that this was your first post

Member #
    Great! This is the best lead I've found so far. I found the filter on the site, but I don't know how I'd pay for it. Do you think the owner speaks (writes) English? I should probably email him. Also, how do I tell if my bike is a series 1 or 2? I believe it is a 1971, although the title reads 1973. It is kick start only, and has a serial number of 2444.

thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Lee Hardy
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronG View Post
    Great! This is the best lead I've found so far. I found the filter on the site, but I don't know how I'd pay for it. Do you think the owner speaks (writes) English? I should probably email him. Also, how do I tell if my bike is a series 1 or 2? I believe it is a 1971, although the title reads 1973. It is kick start only, and has a serial number of 2444.

thanks!
    Sorry don't know how to tell which series but they are probably the same. Detlef speaks good English so you could always ask. If you go through the order process by adding stuff to your basket, you can then checkout. I think he then contacts you to arrange payment via the email address you provide.

Member #
    I just sent him an email. Any idea what this bike is worth? I have the side covers, and many spares for it. Its in really nice shape.

It was actually given to me. The fellow who owned it before me bought it in the mid 70's.

Name
    Lee Hardy
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronG View Post
    I just sent him an email. Any idea what this bike is worth? I have the side covers, and many spares for it. Its in really nice shape.

It was actually given to me. The fellow who owned it before me bought it in the mid 70's.
    Your best bet is to have a look on eBay and at past auctions. I am sure that many, many people will be interested in it, if you were to sell. Me... I'd keep hold of it.

edit: http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C117851/ <-- £6500

Member #
    I'm gonna keep it. I was just wondering how much insurance to buy for it. I actually like riding it. It makes a 50 mile trip into a real adventure. My old GPZ900r never did that.

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    Hi,
    The oil filter is the same size as one from a classic Brit car. Selwyn Motorcycles have them as does the Benelli Club. I have a couple of spares someplace if you have trouble. From the tank you seem to have a tornado 650 69 to early 72. The later bikes are called 650S and 650S2 and have a starter motor. Where did you get the bike from. I wondered if it was Paul Compton's machine which he sold to North Leicester Motorcycles a while ago.

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/benellitornado650.html

It's a characterful engine for sure! I reckon they are more fun to ride a short distance than the Laverda twin and that the prices will be similar or maybe 20% less pretty soon. I don't think you'd have an agreed value rejected of up to £4500. The extreme rarity is against a higher price as are is it's flaws - weight, peculiar engine, vibration, thirst, poor range, exploding starter motor. The 650S looks more iconic with its fancy paint but I like my early one. Way easier to start than most contempory twins too.

My clutch is pretty ok. Have you checked the centre nut to see if it's loose? If it has a realy high mileage the basket / center slots could be notched. If it's slipping the plain plates may be distorting with the heat generated? I assume you've checked the cable is releasing properly.

All the best

Chris
    Last edited by Tornadoboy; 02-10-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Member #
    Funny you should post this. I reached out to a fellow in my neck of the woods who rents vintage bikes for tours. He has a 650 Tornado in his fleet, and agreed to sell me a filter. I just spoke with him a couple hours ago.

His business is pretty neat looking www.retrotours.com

Anyway, the bike came from a friend of mine who has owned it since the 70's. He bought it from its original owner. I think it was the Bookbinder family of Philadelphia.

The issue with the clutch only occurs when the clutch gets hot. For that to happen, you need to be in stop and go traffic. There is no slipping, the clutch just stops releasing. You can feel it coming on. I just put the bike in neutral at lights, and it seems fine. The cable seems adjusted properly. The lever has just a bit of free play. I have a funny feeling it is the fiber discs, as the previous owner told me this started when he put a new clutch kit in. He didn't remember soaking the fiber discs. I bet there is something wrong with them now.

I'll tell you, I'm chomping at the bit for the snow to melt, and the temps to get back into the 50's (F), so I can ride again.

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    Ah, I didn't clock that you're in the US. Prices are lower over there but not much lower and you guys bought more Tornados than anyone else so spares are far more common. It was the paint job that fooled me as the US bikes have a white streak on the tank. Pennsylvania as I'm sure you know is home of Cosmopolitan who imported the Tornados. You can get a lot of help from the US on the Yahoo Benellis groups listed in the suppliers guide at the top of this board. I have one of my filters here it says...

WIX 309P
    Ford 105E, 107E
    Anglia, Prefect 1959 on
    Consul Classic 315 1961 on

Referencing UK cars isn't going to help much but a quick look should find equivalents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors