Round, squared. Which is the difference?.
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Round, squared. Which is the difference?.

Member #

Round, squared. Which is the difference?.

Hi,
    looking at different sei engine photos I have discovered something amazing. Some like mine, are rounded at the cylinder corners while other -most of them- are square finished .
    Anybody knows which is the reason?.

Cheers!.

Carles

Name
    Chris's Techno Parlour
    Member #
    The prototype have a bevel to the head fins at one point but I can't recall seeing one with square cylinder fins - have you a photo?

How exciting

Chris

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornadoboy View Post
    The prototype have a bevel to the head fins at one point but I can't recall seeing one with square cylinder fins - have you a photo?

How exciting

Chris
    Hi Chris,
    sorry, I mentioned cylinder instead of cylinder head fins (the ones painted in mat black). Most of them are squared angle finished, but not in mine sei.
    I only noticed this after seeing a lot of images of diferent sei engines. One day my brain said "something doesn´t match, and then I paid atention on this.
    You can see here, in my album:

https://www.benelliforum.com/gallery/...50sei/SDIM0807

Regards!.
    Carles

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    I'd guess a previous owner of your bike rounded them off, either for looks or because it had a cracked fin.
    76 Benelli Sei, 76 Guzzi Lemans, 79 Guzzi Lemans, 79 Kawasaki z650, 98 BMW F650, 08 Suzuki DL650

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc59 View Post
    I'd guess a previous owner of your bike rounded them off, either for looks or because it had a cracked fin.
    Previous owner did not care too much the bike but although he acted as a "mud guard killer" I don´t think he was able to be a "fin killer".
    Jokes aside, fortunately I have seen other sei photos with the same round cornered configuration. Are very rare, but they exist. I have a book where appears a photo with De Tomaso on a Sei with this kind of fins.
    The question is : why this difference?.

Name
    Lee Hardy
    Member #
    It wouldn't be Benelli if everything was consistently consistent

Member #
    Learning all the time. Is your book "Benelli 750/900 Performance Portfolio"? I just had a look through mine and it shows quite a few pictures with the rounded fins. Some with DeTomaso sitting on the bike at its release. I'll try for another guess and say that the Series 1 Sei started out with rounded head fins and was later changed to square. The pictures also show the Series 1 engine with different alternator cover (black and flat without the circles on it) and black points cover. Your bike looks like a Series 2?? so from what I've learnt of older Italian bikes, Benelli probably had left over cylinder heads and early Series 2 were fitted with them.
    76 Benelli Sei, 76 Guzzi Lemans, 79 Guzzi Lemans, 79 Kawasaki z650, 98 BMW F650, 08 Suzuki DL650

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc59 View Post
    Learning all the time. Is your book "Benelli 750/900 Performance Portfolio"? I just had a look through mine and it shows quite a few pictures with the rounded fins. Some with DeTomaso sitting on the bike at its release. I'll try for another guess and say that the Series 1 Sei started out with rounded head fins and was later changed to square. The pictures also show the Series 1 engine with different alternator cover (black and flat without the circles on it) and black points cover. Your bike looks like a Series 2?? so from what I've learnt of older Italian bikes, Benelli probably had left over cylinder heads and early Series 2 were fitted with them.
    That´s a good and very realistic theory. Right, I have the same book and like you this make me to think in the earliest models. Nevertheless my model is a MK2, and excepting the fins all the other elements appears to be series 2.
    May be I have a most rare bike than expected...

Thanks for the investigation!.

Regards.

Carles
    Last edited by tucandugu; 05-13-2011 at 03:19 AM.

Sponsors