Cycle World Intl Motorcycle Show
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cycle World Intl Motorcycle Show

Member #

Cycle World Intl Motorcycle Show

There's a show coming to Seattle this weekend and missing from the list of companies is Benelli, why is that?

Name
    Tarayn Kinsey
    Member #
    This weekend coming??mmmm I wonder why too.

Name
    Derek Clarkson
    Member #
    If I had to guess, it would be the cost of appearing. Either Benelli or the local distributor would have to absorb it. So it's basically a cost to benefit ratio, does the cost of putting on a stand or sharing a stand generate enough promotion to realise enough sales to cover the costs in the long term?

Often people don't realise how much it costs to put on a stand at a expo. 10+ years ago I ran a stand at a PC show here in Melbourne. The floor space alone cost $4000+ for 3 days. Thats just the floor. No carpet, stand, lighting, etc.

Luckily for me I was organising a volunteer based crew so I didn't have to cover wages and the stand itself was donated as were computers, promotional material, etc. I remember talking to the guy running the IBM stand and he said that all up, it cost IBM close to a quarter or a million to build the stand, move it around cities, staff it, get their promotional material etc. Of course - they do big stands!

So if I was Benelli, I would figure I'd need about 3 or 4 standard floor space squares (3m x3m), probably costing somewhere around $20,000 for the 3 days. The to get a stand or some nice desks, brochure holders, carpets, lights, etc could cost anywhere between say $5,000 and $25,000. Then staff for 3 days, and the bikes to put on display. Effectively another $50,000+.

Mounts up fast

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Lorin
    Member #
    I think it would be money better spent if Benelli do as KTM and Buell have done, and most likely will continue to do, that being travelling demo ride events. As an example, this year they both rolled into TWO motorcycle resort in Suches, Georgia. This is a motorcycle mecca up in the north Georgia mountains amidst twisties in every direction....(some of the most beautiful roads you'll find) Buell came through after Daytona bike week and KTM this past September. Turnout was high (the demo's were promoted heavily as well as through good word of mouth, not to mention being held in an area that is a magnet for the types of riders that would actually ride these sort of bikes) It was well organized, led by avid motorcyclists, and enough seat time to get a good feel for the bike you were on. None of the bikes broke down, nobody crashed, and I'm certain many left with minds made up about their next purchase. And it was all done in the ultimate atmosphere: twisties!
    I rode a 990 Duke, an awesome bike, but compared to the MV 910 Brutale I demo'd last year, it falls short in the exotica and overall looks department...(it also costs about the same)
    I think Benelii would benefit profoundly if they did something like this. It's about the only way they will ever eliminate the reliabliity issue strait away...forums like this one and other sites are great for a consensus to evovle, but I think there's such a negative stigma with them that they will never overcome it, especially by just setting up fancy glitzy display stands .....they NEED TO do demo rides at this level, it will go along way.

King of the Group-Buys Laurencewhite's Avatar
    Name
    Laurence White
    Member #
    Totally agree with you Lorin. The only thing along these lines that I'm aware of was when the TRE-K was launched at the Benelli weekend in Misano last year when they laid on around a dozen of the new bikes and arranged short trial runs around the Adriatic coast.

In addition, Benelli UK also provided a range of demo trial rides at the recent bike show in Birmingham.

I know it's not the full blown demo ride events that you were referring to but at least it's a start.
    Laurence

Benelli Tornado 900 LE No. 49
    Benelli 1130 TNT Titainium
    Benelli 1130 TRE-K
    Benelli 750 SEI
    Benelli 250 2c
    Benelli Motorella

Member #
    The local dealer in Phoenix ponied up for the expense for the Phoenix show and the Tre 1130 was probably one of the most popular bikes there. Even out pulled the Bimota Tesi 3 in the same display area and the MV's across the aisle. It was not a cheap proposition but the US importer did help by supplying their tech to help with questions and getting the 1130 there for the show. I think they got enough pull the the US importer may decide it is worth it for next year.

Name
    Paul Smith
    Member #

Long Beach Show Benelli was there.

Benelli were not listed to be at the Long Beach Cycle World Show, but they appeared. I went and spoke to them and then went back to Escondido and purchased my Cafe Racer. Did the show help in the sale? Definitely. Thanks Benelli for being there.
    They need to try and get a dealer in the LA/Orange county area. We have one in So Cal and one in the Bay area. There is a huge sport bike market in LA. Maybe OTD motorcyles? They sell some Italians.
    As there are not alot of dealers around Benelli are not getting enough exposure.
    They have awesome looking cycles, and people are attracted to them.

Paul
    "To be old and wise - You must first be young and stupid"
    Benelli 2006 Cafe Racer

Name
    Mark S White
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith View Post
    They need to try and get a dealer in the LA/Orange county area. We have one in So Cal and one in the Bay area. There is a huge sport bike market in LA. Maybe OTD motorcyles? They sell some Italians.
    As there are not alot of dealers around Benelli are not getting enough exposure.
    They have awesome looking cycles, and people are attracted to them.

Paul
    One small correction, there are TWO Benelli dealerships in the Bay area - Munroe Motors in SF and also Suzuki/Benelli of Oakland. I know both of the owners and they are enthusiastic about the brand. Hopefully we'll see more dealerships opening up over the next year!

mark in Oakland

Sponsors