Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Firing order - TRE 900 - 2004?

Name
    Geoffrey Hall
    Member #

Firing order - TRE 900 - 2004?

Hi All,

Firstly want to say thank you to all for the information. My father and I are re building a 2004 Benelli Tornado TRE 900 and we have utilised info from here the whole way through. Extremely helpful and wouldn't have been able to do it without the use of this platform.

Our question is does anyone know the firing order of the above mentioned bike. We have new coil on plugs to fit and after looking through the manual a few times we have only found a picture of the cylinders numbered 1-3 and want to make sure this is the same firing order to set the plugs up to. Can any one help here.

Cheers Geoff and Steve.

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Good question.
    It's not in the manual as far as i can see.
    You could work it out from the cam lobes and knowing they will fire 240 degrees apart - 120 degrees on the cam. 1 - 3 - 2 is my best guess.
    It's not been an issue for me because the leads are marked, and besides, it would be difficult to get them wrong due to the lengths out of the loom. #1 being the longest.
    (You could swap 2 & 3 if you tried hard)

From the wiring diagram I always assumed that the markings of '1 '2 & '3 for both injectors and coils related directly to the cylinder numbers.

When you work it out, let us know!
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

Name
    Mike
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Engenia View Post
    Good question.
    From the wiring diagram I always assumed that the markings of '1 '2 & '3 for both injectors and coils related directly to the cylinder numbers.
    From memory you are correct, they are labelled in cylinder order, not firing order.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    Unlike every other multi-cylinder motorcycle ever built, Benelli's cylinder numbering goes from right to left. So the right hand cylinder is #1 and the left is #3. I'll leave it to you to figure out which one is #2

Member #
    Pretty sure they are 1,2,3,. All the tractors I work on are 123, and sure when I had my CR apart it was the same. Nigel.

Member #
    Good question.
    You could work it out from the cam lobes and knowing they will fire 240 degrees apart - 120 degrees on the cam. 1 - 3 - 2 is my best guess.
    It's not been an issue for me because the leads are marked, and besides, it would be difficult to get them wrong due to the lengths out of the loom. #1 being the longest.

Sprocket has the answer, tis a wonderful beast , the infernal combustion engine. I always wanted to build a V3 with the same firing order. two forward and one back.
    A two stroke watercooled 450 cc, keep it simple and listen to it scream. It was never going to be the easiest thing in the world to ride mind.

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Name:  Inlet Camshaft.JPG
Views: 20
Size:  19.4 KB
    If you follow the lobes, the firing order must be 1 followed by 3 (240 crank degrees later) & finally 2
    ron d and mikerj like this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

Name
    Geoffrey Hall
    Member #
    Good question.

Thanks Errol,

Big help, Dad has been looking at everything on your site and making himself as familiar with the machine as possible appreciate all the info. We got it sorted, you are right we found the markings on the injector lines and coils and they only go one way which relate directly to the cylinder numbering 1,2,3. Good to know the firing order as well. Sure we will have more questions as we go.

Many Regards

Steve

Name
    Geoffrey Hall
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
    Unlike every other multi-cylinder motorcycle ever built, Benelli's cylinder numbering goes from right to left. So the right hand cylinder is #1 and the left is #3. I'll leave it to you to figure out which one is #2
    Ha ha Thanks Sprocket, you're onto it. We found the injector leads matching the coils and cylinder numbers all 1,2,3, from right to left. Thanks mate.

Member #
    Going by the camshaft Errol I have to agree with you. I couldn't recall seeing that when I had mine apart. Like I mentioned, every 3 cyl tractor I have repaired is 1 2 3, . Interesting point I found out the other day, Deutz engines call number 1 the rear most cylinder. . Cheers, Nigel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors