Sloppy twistgrip.
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Onefoot

Thread: Sloppy twistgrip.

Member #

Sloppy twistgrip.

The twistgrip on my new Benelli Imperiale 400 not only slides laterally between the body and the bar-end weight, but needs to be rotated about 30 degrees before it begins to operate. This rather bothers me, so I took the slack out of the cable, and put a rubber washer between the body and the grip. That seemed to cure the problem, and I rode a few miles up the valley, stopped for a coffee, and returned home.
    To my surprise, starting up next day the engine refused to tick over, hunting between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm, so I undid the previous work and everything returned to normal.
    I´d be grateful if anyone can tell me if this amount of slop is necessary and if so, why.

GBo
    Member #
    I wouldn’t have thought so. Is the cable moving anything on the throttle body before the slack is taken up? Maybe you have moved the TPS when adjusting it.

Member #
    No, the throttle doesn´t move until the slack is taken up. There´s a decent return spring on the operating cam.
    Sorry, don´t know the term TPS ...?

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

GBo
    Member #
    Throttle position sensor. Normally it is a unit which fits on the butterfly shaft on the throttle body, to tell the ECU how much the throttle is open

Member #
    Ah so... not come across one of those before, thank you.
    Thinking back, I suspect that I adjusted the throttle cable waiting for the tick--over to rise.
    Before it did, I checked the twist--grip and the slack had gone, so I locked off the adjuster.
    Possibly not the best approach.
    Today I adjusted the cable with reference to the cable nipple in the operating disc, leaving a minute amount of slack.
    I also interposed a beer--can shim (I´m a traditionalist) between the handlebar and the plastic twist-grip, which removed half the slop.
    (On a technical note, I used a Draught Guinness can, which being unpressurised until the widget erupts, is made of even thinner metal than a gassy lager can).
    I may have to continue my research with a more substantial can of Newky Brown.
    The fault did not appear immediately before, so I will have to siesta until the lunch has left my liver, then take a test ride.

The owner of our local bike shop rather surprised me yesterday, I parked outside and he emerged to have a look at the Benelli. If he´d looked any harder I would have lost some paint -- every detail was inspected, then he sat on it, I turned on the ignition and he was off. I was glad of the chance to see him ride an unfamiliar machine in a confined space -- he´s an ex-racer, with many big silver cups on shelves around the workshop, and his control was a delight to watch.

He was very enthusiastic about it, and has promised to service it for me, which means I don´t have to tussle with the Granada traffic and I´ll have trusted backup.
    I think he might share my suspicion that few people will buy the dozens of expensive Triumphs on sale at the Granada dealers, and that next year the showroom will be full of Imperiales.
    Different bikes for different times.

Rick67 and DenH like this.

Sponsors