Why the slack ?
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GBo

Thread: Why the slack ?

Member #

Why the slack ?

The handbook for my Imperiale specifies a good deal of slack in the throttle cable, which I find unpleasant. Can anyone tell me why this slack needs to be there ?
    It is particularly awkward because the engine is very jerky on and off the throttle -- is there a way of minimising that ?
    Any advice would be very welcome.

GBo
    Member #
    Usually the reason for the slack is to stop the throttle opening when the bars are on full lock. I would put it on full lock then set it for a small amount of play. Obviously this is at your own risk
    ron d likes this.

Member #
    That is interesting, thank you. I´ve no desire to compromise the throttle action to compensate for a badly routed cable, so I´ll see what improvement is possible.
    I remember now having the same situation when I bought my Guzzi in 2014, and having adjusted it without slack the dealer had a hissy fit and noted it on the service document.
    It might be reasonable advice for a novice, but a bit of advice on cable routing would be more valuable.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Onefoot View Post
    having adjusted it without slack the dealer had a hissy fit ...
    Blimey. I'd tell the idiot dealer to pull his head in if I were you. It's your bike. Set it up the way you want it. Just check that it's OK on full lock in both directions.
    I always adjust my throttle for minimal slack. Been doing it that way for over 50 years and it hasn't caused any disasters.

Member #
    Quite so Sprocket, both dealerships I used in Britain were simply clothing boutiques with a sideline in motorcycles, and the sales force knew sod-all about bikes. Moto Strada in Shipley were unable to answer the most basic questions, and told me a pack of lies. They must have staff who understand bikes but they are not available to the prospective buyer.
    I´ve yet to come to an opinion regarding the dealer in Granada, but I have my suspicions, let´s hope I´m wrong.

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    That's why I don't let dealers or so-called bike mechanics anywhere near my bikes. I do all my own maintenance.
    I do have a couple of trusted sources for work I can't do at home.

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
    I always adjust my throttle for minimal slack.
    When I first got the TR650 the throttle was slack and that made it hard to control the revs just off idle, although i didn't realise it could be better. When I did a sand riding course a few years later one of the instructors suggested I take most of the slack out and blow me down if it didn't make dirt riding so much easier.
    The Tornado isn't so fussy since I rarely ride it standing up. I always adjust the cables so that I can manually close the butterflies, and leave some slack on the uptake side.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

Sponsors