Electrics and battery connections
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrics and battery connections

Member #

Electrics and battery connections

Earths on the battery -
    There are two black earth wires to the battery, one, the main earthElectrics  and battery connections-dscf1429.jpg from the starter motor and a second return that has 3 black wires going into the loom on the right hand side of the bike.
    I have studied the wiring diagram ,but can not find where these wires go to. They appear to be in the main harness going up past the TPS and stepper motor.
    There is a 4th black wire that appears from the main harness on the left hand side of the bike, it shares the common main earth on the starter and back to battery -
    Anyone know where this has come from ?
    The bike is an 1130 Tre K

Electrics  and battery connections-dscf1430.jpg

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Short answer .. I'm sure they come from the ECU , as it supplies a positive live feed to injectors and coils constantly then triggers the ground to energize them .

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick67 View Post
    Short answer .. I'm sure they come from the ECU , as it supplies a positive live feed to injectors and coils constantly then triggers the ground to energize them .
    Can I come and have a look at yours, Tre K I mean. The wiring on this bike is a real mess, it was reframed by Moto Corsa it went seriously down hill after that.
    Thought I had cured it, got it running ,then it took a back seat and shut up shop.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Your more than welcome to come and see how mine is wired/setup .
    These bikes are all the same but oh so unique at the same time .

Member #
    Your more than welcome to come and see how mine is wired/setup .
    These bikes are all the same but oh so unique at the same time .
    Well I am about 2 miles over the border , so in lockdown until December .
    I have as said two, black leads to negative on the battery and a single black ground which returns to the starter motor main earth.
    Positive side of battery a single positive main feed , that splits to a Y , one to the alternator and the other to the starter relay (30 amp fuse).
    There is a single 2.5 mm feed to 20 amp fuse in the 6 rail fuse box, there is a 1.5 mm piggyback feed to a 5 amp fuse the other end of the fuse box. This is the constant feed to the clocks.
    The starter relay plug has 2 2.5 mm feeds that go to 2 15 amp fuses in the fuse box, these are piggybacked to the other two 10 and 15 amp fuses.

I have a strange looped white connector and another 2 pin plug doing nothing to the right of the relay rail.

My problem is the bike is completely dead from the key. it was running , I turned it off, switched it on again later . Zilch.
    its in neutral, side stand up , checked kill switch , sidestand switch, tip over switch, battery connections ,voltage 13.2 v static.Electrics  and battery connections-dscf1425.jpgElectrics  and battery connections-dscf1424.jpgElectrics  and battery connections-dscf1422.jpgElectrics  and battery connections-dscf1426.jpg
    Have you got anything like this ?

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Hi Pete,
    Have you checked the main fuse in the starter relay ? ..
    It could be as simple as that .

I'm assuming you have connected the two ground wires to the battery , only saying as it had me once !.

Yes I've a few odd connectors under the fuse box too . One empty one and one linked to itself .

Member #
    Hi Pete,
    Have you checked the main fuse in the starter relay ? ..
    It could be as simple as that .

I'm assuming you have connected the two ground wires to the battery , only saying as it had me once !.

Yes I've a few odd connectors under the fuse box too . One empty one and one linked to itself .
    First place I looked, no the main fuse and spare is good, I even bought a new relay in case it was faulty.
    I do not really want to start baring out the entire loom to chase cables, I do not appear to have a a circuit through the electrics back to the battery.
    That is why I need to chase these earth wires, I am going to check the ignition key switch , it is only an on/off switch, no alarm so it it is either on or off.
    I can not believe it failed in switching the bike off on the key.
    Battery direct to starter and bike spins over , but no relays, pump, ignition , even the lights dont work.

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post
    I do not really want to start baring out the entire loom to chase cables,
    You don't have to. Just use a sharp needle to penetrate the insulation & connect to the copper. It will "heal" when you remove the needle.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Those earth wires your going to chase should connect to engine ground somewhere near the front sprocket cover .. at least that's where mine are , I forgot to re connect them one day after I adjusted my clutch .. I thought I'd killed my bike that day ..

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Engenia View Post
    You don't have to. Just use a sharp needle to penetrate the insulation & connect to the copper. It will "heal" when you remove the needle.
    Yes , thanks Errol, but I think the problem is going to be corrosion at wiring joints , like the Y junction on the positive from battery to alternator and starter relay. I think I will have to piggyback several wires to return continuity of current .
    The corruption of the one map in the ECU points towards electrical gremlins, The reframing and placement of the wiring harness, points towards poor installation.
    The bike had an Acumen oiler fitted, the spikes into the existing wiring was a complete disaster zone. Might just of well cut the wires and twisted them together and wrapped a bit of insulation tape round it. No comment on who did it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors