Looking at buying a very used 2006 TNT 1130...any advice ?
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Looking at buying a very used 2006 TNT 1130...any advice ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Member #
    20939
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    5

    Looking at buying a very used 2006 TNT 1130...any advice ?

    I'm looking at buying a scruffy TNT 1130 with just under 40K/kms on the clock as a project. The is a returned stolen machine. It doesn't appear to be in too bad a shape and I have rebuilt worse . Since my experience with these machines is only what I have read, any advice, comments or opinions would be appreciated. The bike needs a lock set and some panel repairs. Since the bike does not have a HISS or transponder key system I don't see any problem there. I understand that the cam chain needs changing at 40 K /kms. Any problems with this are new cam sprockets usually needed ? I haven't seen the bike and haven't heard it running so flying blind there. Body, forks and wheels look OK from the pics.
    Any advice graciously received.
    Cheers,
    JMB
    Western Australia.

  2. #2
    Senior Member ianh's Avatar
    Member #
    8897
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    darlington, north east england
    Posts
    2,214
    welcome, there are other much more knowledgable folk on here, especially Errol, see his website Engenia's Benelli Tornado Novocentro Tre
    This is principally about the tornado but most of the mechanicals are the same/similar.

    From my limited knowledge, locksets etc are all std stuff, bodywork try ebay italy.
    cam chain sounds due a change but relatively easy as its on the side of the block. No sprockets need changing but spring and movement of the tensioner should be checked.
    The z25 gear was a weakspot , with an upgraded set with proper tolerance available.
    Good chance the rear shock will be shot if mine is anything to go by.....

    Good luck and post some pics
    My Ex's ....ZR50SL, RS100, BMW R50/5, RD400, CB350K4, GPZ550, CB900, 750 KATANA, GSXR750, FIREBLADE, TL1000S, 955i Daytona, Gpz750 ...GSXR 1100L, GSXR1000K6.....Ducati 848.....750 srad trackbike.....GSXR1000R

    Current brood; 2003 900 Tornado, 2008 900 Tornado, 2009 CR 1130, 2010 1130 Tornado...and the diesels...Ducati 1199s Panigale - the "sensible" option... R1 to trash on track....and an '81 Katana......to remind me how good modern bikes are...even Benellis
    ....

  3. #3
    GBo
    GBo is offline
    Senior Member
    Member #
    18749
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    570
    Get it bought. They have awesome engines. Just need to learn the few benelli foibles(if that’s how you spell it?)

  4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member mikew124's Avatar
    Member #
    161
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    360
    If the TnT you are looking at is the one on ebay in OZ it looks pretty rough.

    The value of second hand TnTs is pretty low in Australia at the moment so a running bike may be the cheaper option in the long run.

    Mike
    The TnT service DVD is now on You Tube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLUiKULlIBo

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Member #
    20939
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    5

    buying used TNT etc etc...

    Hi, Thanks for your comments.
    Being a bit of a new chum to this machine, kindly excuse my ignorance but where is the z 25 gear and what should I know about it ?
    Cheers.
    JMB


    Quote Originally Posted by ianh View Post
    welcome, there are other much more knowledgable folk on here, especially Errol, see his website Engenia's Benelli Tornado Novocentro Tre
    This is principally about the tornado but most of the mechanicals are the same/similar.

    From my limited knowledge, locksets etc are all std stuff, bodywork try ebay italy.
    cam chain sounds due a change but relatively easy as its on the side of the block. No sprockets need changing but spring and movement of the tensioner should be checked.
    The z25 gear was a weakspot , with an upgraded set with proper tolerance available.
    Good chance the rear shock will be shot if mine is anything to go by.....

    Good luck and post some pics

  7. #6
    Junior Member
    Member #
    20939
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    5

    used TNT with foibles.

    Spelled correctly though prossibly not such an appropriate use of the word.Try 'idiosyncrasies'
    Anyway to purge any foibles or idiosyncrasies which may be lurking in or around the bike I will probably have to buy parts. Any recommended English speaking parts supplier ? English speaking because my Italian language skills are sadly lacking......I just found out that innuendo is not an Italian suppository.
    Any advice is appreciated.

    Quote Originally Posted by GBo View Post
    Get it bought. They have awesome engines. Just need to learn the few benelli foibles(if that’s how you spell it?)

  8. #7
    Senior Member mikew124's Avatar
    Member #
    161
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    360
    The Z25 gear drives the alternator. The early ones could break and cause damage to the engine

    There were several updates to the early TnTs.
    They include:

    • Z25 Gear
    • Stepper motor
    • Starter Motor
    • Clutch Assembly


    Mike
    The TnT service DVD is now on You Tube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLUiKULlIBo

  9. #8
    GBo
    GBo is offline
    Senior Member
    Member #
    18749
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    570
    Alex at Maniac Motors in Germany is very good and language is no problem.
    most of the issues are easy to sort if you are handy with a spanner. Get Tuneecu software and you can run diagnostics and tweak the mixture etc. I find they are like owning an old British bike needing regular tinkering.

    inuendo hah

  10. #9
    Senior Member Rick67's Avatar
    Name
    Rick
    Member #
    16761
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Brynamman ,Wales
    Posts
    976
    My views are ...
    If it can be built it can be re built better !.

    Meaning you will know that you've tweaked ,fitted new or upgraded older parts if required for new ones , and you'll get used to the ins and outs of the bike so you'll soon tell if something needs adjusting or replacing .
    I've had loads of stuff to deal with probably more than my fair share , Having said that my Tre K is the most engaging bike I've ever owned.
    Today I'll be taking my rear shock for a rebuild or new new replacement ! .
    Hope you go for one they look amazing .
    Rick
    fredzedex and Engenia like this.

  11. #10
    Junior Member
    Member #
    20939
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    5

    Thinking about it.

    Thanks to all who replied, much appreciated.
    FWIW, I've had plenty of tinkering practice with yee olde Brit bikes as well as old and new Jap bikes and others so there is not much which really concerns me with fixes or complete rebuilds. I am considering stripping down the subject TNT and doing a complete rebuild, bare frame up as a project over the next winter ( Mediterranean type Aussie winter that is ) taking 6 months or so which is what it usually take for a rebuild.
    So, anticipating a requirement for some bits and pieces and looking at availability and cost priorities plus proactive on potential future problems ( eg zz 25 gear, thanks, timing chain replacement, thanks )
    So any and all info from those with input is mucho appreciated.
    Cheers.




    Quote Originally Posted by Rick67 View Post
    My views are ...
    If it can be built it can be re built better !.

    Meaning you will know that you've tweaked ,fitted new or upgraded older parts if required for new ones , and you'll get used to the ins and outs of the bike so you'll soon tell if something needs adjusting or replacing .
    I've had loads of stuff to deal with probably more than my fair share , Having said that my Tre K is the most engaging bike I've ever owned.
    Today I'll be taking my rear shock for a rebuild or new new replacement ! .
    Hope you go for one they look amazing .
    Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Google+