Future Classics...
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Future Classics...

Member #

Future Classics...

Cant help but think the Tornado will soon be regarded as a modern classic which made me wonder what other recent bikes may be at their cheapest now, but worth a furtune in a few years .
    ie you could pick up a tidy RG500 for a 2k ish just a few years ago. You could easily double that now.
    my initial shortlist for those that will only rise in value from now:
    Original 92 Blade and 94 urban tiger model
    98 R1
    Slabside GSXR
    First xz10r
    vmax
    Hyabussa

Seems to me most real "classics" are the dream machines people dreamed of owning in the youth but could not afford one (Bonnies, Vincents, etc) rather than ordinary machines that are rare simply by virtue of their age (gt380, superdream etc)

Name
    Colin
    Member #
    Yep spot on mate.. also I think anything which is has something unique about it.... like a radiator under the seat and fans at the back perhaps?
    Not that I will sell it any time soon, but I will eat my spare carbon panels if the LE is not a future classic which will eventually be worth a bundle.. think about it - it was more limited than most LE Ducatis and Bimotas and how many will be left in one piece in 15 yrs time I wonder? By the same token, you look at the production numbers for the Tornado and take into account how many will get scrapped / crashed and you are still looking at a seriously rare bike in a few years time.
    Those who keep the faith will be rewarded I feel

Col

Name
    grayVTWIN
    Member #
    Hey Colin, if I read that a few more times I might manage to convince myself to buy another!!!! Mike

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Yup, already decided to kept the Tornado whatever happens.
    Of course i will keep it to ride and enjoy, rather than just to look at, but nice to think it may well be a decent investment in the long term too.

(wish i could have done that with my mint 1986 GSXR T50 too, or the Katana which preceded it...or indeed the 'Blade....)

Name
    Bob Williams
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ianh View Post
    Cant help but think the Tornado will soon be regarded as a modern classic which made me wonder what other recent bikes may be at their cheapest now, but worth a furtune in a few years .
    ie you could pick up a tidy RG500 for a 2k ish just a few years ago. You could easily double that now.
    my initial shortlist for those that will only rise in value from now:
    Original 92 Blade and 94 urban tiger model
    98 R1
    Slabside GSXR
    First xz10r
    vmax
    Hyabussa

Seems to me most real "classics" are the dream machines people dreamed of owning in the youth but could not afford one (Bonnies, Vincents, etc) rather than ordinary machines that are rare simply by virtue of their age (gt380, superdream etc)
    I had to take a double look at your list
    I accept this is a very subjective issue, but I see the 916 as suitable for the title.
    A trip to this months Stafford Show will show a whole host of previous generation bikes that fall into the collectable category. GT380's are indeed now 'sought after'. GT750 kettles are highly sought after, novelty value for the early water cooling, but in all honesty in their day they were *not* great bikes to ride.
    regards, Bob

Benelli LE 79 & 94, Laverda SFC1000, Laverda 750 SF2, Ducati 1098R, BMW S1000XR, KTM 450EXC Racing,.

Name
    Alan Marshall
    Member #

Future Classics

Check out www.vintagebike.co.uk look in bikes for sale, halfway down on page 5 for a future classic.
    A mere snip at 48k

Along with the 1st picture in my album - Northwich Thundersprint 2009.
    Met the guy who owned it he said was recently offered 100k for it!!!!
    Would never part with it though.

There are some other photos of future classics also.

If money was no object though would love a Y2K.
    Sounds awesome on start up. Check out youtube..

Name
    grayVTWIN
    Member #
    GT750 kettles are highly sought after, novelty value for the early water cooling, but in all honesty in their day they were *not* great bikes to ride.[/QUOTE]

I'll vouch for that ... rode one from Sydney to Adelaide and back (1981 I think). It was HORRIBLE!
    Mike

Member #
    Of course the list is highly subjective but i was trying to look at some of the more mainstream bikes which will be worth saving for the future.

a good example being the 350lc, loads around yrs ago but a nice one is now worth a fortune(relatively speaking)This is largely due to their reputation at the time and of course rose tinted specs of middle aged former owners.

Thats why i think that the prime bikes of their day, early blades etc, will be worthy of saving for the long term.
    Nice examples of early GSXR'S are already rare but still affordable, i can well imagine their value rising steeply in the next 5-10 yrs.

Of course some the less popular but unusual bikes will also have a value, oddballs such as the hub-steer gts1000 are dirt cheap right now but must be collectable in the long term?

Member #
    My list I think....

RGV250
    RS250
    ZXR400
    Ducati 851/888
    Our Nellis...
    Buells (now anyway )
    Yamaha R7's

I can't see anything "current" that stands out from the crowed, everythings just the same, looks the same, sounds the same, goes the same.

Sponsors