Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tuneecu noob needs advice

Name
    Daz
    Member #

Tuneecu noob needs advice

2007/8 1130 Cafe Racer, Walbro ECU.

The problem:

When cold the bike fires up straight away, then after 20 or so seconds the revs drop as expected, but the bike tries to cut out, apply a small amount of throttle (within a few minutes) and again the bikes wants to stall, it feels like the idle is to low. It also smells very rich.

Once warmed up there are no problems at all. I have visually checked & cleaned the stepper motor and that's all good.

I'll be back home in a few days & am taking my tuneecu cable with me.

So onto the questions

Is there an idiots guide to resetting the TPS? If I pull the map off the ECU is there anyone who can have a quick look to see if it's right?

I'm a (Retired) old school mechanic and all this mapping stuff has me totally confused.

There is an aftermarket pipe on the bike (this has to be changed for the ITV,-MOT) , it still has the air flaps and exhaust valve.
    Last edited by Dazz; 01-09-2020 at 06:49 AM.

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Dazz,
    I'm not totally savvy with mapping but it does sound like the map you have is too rich at idle.
    I'm assuming you have a clean air filter?.

It'll be hard to tell from a displayed map to notice a tickover issue I think.

Have you got a tickover screw you can adjust for when it's warmed up ?
    Resetting the TPS is easy within tune ECU test page (on right hand tab) .
    All you need do is when connected to bike ignition on is click on the reset TPS dot on left column and follow on screen instructions.

Someone else will also come along soon with other ideas/info I'm sure .
    Either way it's going to be easy to sort out .
    I changed my map to a tnt map to cure problems
    Last edited by Rick67; 01-07-2020 at 11:16 AM.

Name
    Daz
    Member #
    The air filter is new, the problem only occurs for about 3 or 4 minutes after the tickover drops down when it's initially warmed up (just as I'm riding away from the house) then once warmed up properly it's fine. It wouldn't normally bother me, but I live on a very quiet, narrow road, with the can that's fitted the wife says it "rattles the windows" when I ride past as I have to keep the revs up, god knows what the neighbours think.

I have adjusted the tickover up which has helped the issue a bit, I have to knock it down 1/2 turn when it's warmed up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Can you get hold of an air fuel ratio meter?
    That will make it a lot easier to work out what is going on.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

Name
    Daz
    Member #
    I'll have a look when I get home and see if my a/f meter is there, I don't remember sending it over, but it's not here with the rest of my tools.

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    I have a noob question too, so may as well tack it onto this thread.
    Is it possible to change ignition timing in the TuneECU software? I couldn't find a facility to do that. Only air/fuel ratios.
    BTW, what do the numbers in the A/F table represent?

GBo
    Member #
    There is an i map with readings from -0.2 starting to 43.8 max throttle max rpm I’m not sure how this relates to ignition timing but doubt it is degrees but could easily be wrong

the fuelling readings I think refer to injector opening time. But are adjusted as percent in tuneecu.
    Last edited by GBo; 01-08-2020 at 12:56 AM.

Name
    Mike
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by GBo View Post
    There is an i map with readings from -0.2 starting to 43.8 max throttle max rpm I’m not sure how this relates to ignition timing but doubt it is degrees but could easily be wrong

the fuelling readings I think refer to injector opening time. But are adjusted as percent in tuneecu.
    For the Sagem at least, the values in the F tables are the mass of air in the cylinder in milligrams for a given engine speed and throttle opening. The ECU works out injector time by using the air/fuel ratio demand from the AF table and the injector flow rate, and presumably some sort of injector opening/closing time calibration that is not shown in Tuneecu. I'm not familiar with the other ECUs.

As far as I know the ignition table is in degrees.

Name
    Daz
    Member #
    A few more questions

1, Should the TPS reset be done when the bike is warm or cold? or doesn't it matter?

2, Should it be done with the idle screw on the side fully turned out or where it is normally?

3, A lot of options are greyed out so I can't test the stepper motor (how should this be set?)

4, the map looks like it's the original TNT01AU, is there a better map to install?

I can't find my afr meter so it must be with all my 10mm sockets

That's all for now, lol.

GBo
    Member #
    TPS can be done anytime. Alex from maniac says it should be 2 to 4 % open then reset TPS. It’s all a bit vague as the manual is rubbish and more people are knowledgeable on the Sagem. You can’t test the stepper on Walbro.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors