Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Pet Peeve - Posted Image Size - it doesn't have to be so BIG

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #

Angry Pet Peeve - Posted Image Size - it doesn't have to be so BIG

Not sure about the rest of you, but if a post has a pic uploaded direct from your camera, eg. 4000 x 3000 pixels, Chrome, Firefox & my favourite, Vivaldi, will display it in all it's full sized glory, and you will have to scroll across and up and down to see it.
    The latest example is the news page that pops up before you log on. It's so big you can't see the log on details. They are waaaay to the right.

That image is called IMG_0168.jpg, is 4031 x 3023 pixels, and 2.0 MB big. If you have a 1 Mbps upload speed (Tier 1 NBN in Oz) it will take around about 10 seconds to upload. If you reduce it to 640 x 480, the pic fits nicely on a decent sized screen without the need to scroll, will take less than a second to upload and take up less than 5% of forum memory space that the original would have.

So, how to reduce the image size?

Most of you will be using Windows I guess (the great unwashed).
    Win10 & Win7 have an app called - "Image Resizer For Windows" (I would have named it "Bob"). It does way more than what you need for this exercise, and takes a lot more time to do it, but it IS a graphical app, so it's easy to use.

But if you are happy to use the command line (a terminal window in Linux land) scaling IMG_0168.jpg to 640 x 480 (& named IMG_0168A.jpg), it is as simple as :-
    1. Press Windows+X to open the Power Users menu, and then click “Command Prompt” to open the terminal
    2. change the directory (cd) to the folder that contains the image - probably simply "Pictures" - with cd Pictures
    3. then ffmpeg -i IMG_0168.jpg -vf scale=640:-1 IMG_0168A.jpg

Less than a second later, it's done.
    The hardest part was navigating to the Pictures directory.
    You can quite literally scale the image and upload it in less time than it takes to upload the original behemoth

If you are running Linux, you already know how to do this .......

ffmpeg is available for Win, MAC & Linux
    https://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html
    The ffmpeg group only provides the source code, but someone will have compiled it for you (ref. the three links on the page above)
    Its free.
    Its fast
    Its been around forever

And you'll no longer annoy me with your pics that exceed the size of my 1920 x 1200 screen.
    (I'll even be happy with a 1280 x 960 pic. Just change "scale=640" to "scale=1280".)
    fredzedex and mikerj like this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    I agree Errol, it's a pain in the arse when people paste HUGE pictures. If it's something I want to look at, I use Ctrl + mouse scroll wheel to zoom out, but that zooms the entire screen so any text on the screen becomes microscopic.

My favourite photo resizing tool is Microsoft Office picture viewer. Just open the photo with Microsoft Office (right click the file, select "Open with" and choose Microsoft Office). Click on "Picture" to see the drop-down menu. Select "Resize" and the rest is obvious.

Member #
    Sorry, guilty as charged but as i always say to the wife I didn't realise is was so big.
    DenH, Engenia and ron d like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

No good with spanners.... fredzedex's Avatar
    Name
    simon stokes
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Engenia View Post

Not sure about the rest of you, but if a post has a pic uploaded direct from your camera, eg. 4000 x 3000 pixels, Chrome, Firefox & my favourite, Vivaldi, will display it in all it's full sized glory, and you will have to scroll across and up and down to see it.
    The latest example is the news page that pops up before you log on. It's so big you can't see the log on details. They are waaaay to the right.

That image is called IMG_0168.jpg, is 4031 x 3023 pixels, and 2.0 MB big. If you have a 1 Mbps upload speed (Tier 1 NBN in Oz) it will take around about 10 seconds to upload. If you reduce it to 640 x 480, the pic fits nicely on a decent sized screen without the need to scroll, will take less than a second to upload and take up less than 5% of forum memory space that the original would have.

So, how to reduce the image size?

Most of you will be using Windows I guess (the great unwashed).
    Win10 & Win7 have an app called - "Image Resizer For Windows" (I would have named it "Bob"). It does way more than what you need for this exercise, and takes a lot more time to do it, but it IS a graphical app, so it's easy to use.

But if you are happy to use the command line (a terminal window in Linux land) scaling IMG_0168.jpg to 640 x 480 (& named IMG_0168A.jpg), it is as simple as :-
    1. Press Windows+X to open the Power Users menu, and then click “Command Prompt” to open the terminal
    2. change the directory (cd) to the folder that contains the image - probably simply "Pictures" - with cd Pictures
    3. then ffmpeg -i IMG_0168.jpg -vf scale=640:-1 IMG_0168A.jpg

Less than a second later, it's done.
    The hardest part was navigating to the Pictures directory.
    You can quite literally scale the image and upload it in less time than it takes to upload the original behemoth

If you are running Linux, you already know how to do this .......

ffmpeg is available for Win, MAC & Linux
    https://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html
    The ffmpeg group only provides the source code, but someone will have compiled it for you (ref. the three links on the page above)
    Its free.
    Its fast
    Its been around forever

And you'll no longer annoy me with your pics that exceed the size of my 1920 x 1200 screen.
    (I'll even be happy with a 1280 x 960 pic. Just change "scale=640" to "scale=1280".)

and any idea for those of us that use iPads only (bit of a tech ignoramus here).......?

fred

ps. It’s good to see more people using the forum again
    GBo likes this.

here's to another trouble free year of Benelli riding

TNT 899 (2013)
    Tornado 900(sold)
    MV F4 1000 (2010)
    TNT 899s (sold)
    Tornado 1130 (sold)
    Aprilia Dorsoduro 750.(sold)

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Probably just as guilty as many others ..
    I'm oblivious to the oversized pictures as I'm mostly viewing on my android phone and never get this problem 😁

King of the Group-Buys Laurencewhite's Avatar
    Name
    Laurence White
    Member #
    Yeah, It is a bit of a bugger when you have a GIANT SIZED PIC TO VIEW.

What I normally end up doing is right clicking on the pic and select 'Open image in new tab' You can then view the pic in the new Browser tab and clicking on the pic allows you to view at the original size which is handy if you want to zoom in.

This works for me using Windows 10 with a Chrome browser.

Give it a try with this cracker

Pet Peeve - Posted Image Size - it doesn't have to be so BIG-unnamed.jpg
    Last edited by Laurencewhite; 02-16-2020 at 11:25 AM.
    benellioldman and Engenia like this.
    Laurence

Benelli Tornado 900 LE No. 49
    Benelli 1130 TNT Titainium
    Benelli 1130 TRE-K
    Benelli 750 SEI
    Benelli 250 2c
    Benelli Motorella

Name
    simon stokes
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurencewhite View Post
    Yeah, It is a bit of a bugger when you have a GIANT SIZED PIC TO VIEW.

What I normally end up doing is right clicking on the pic and select 'Open image in new tab' You can then view the pic in the new Browser tab and clicking on the pic allows you to view at the original size which is handy if you want to zoom in.

This works for me using Windows 10 with a Chrome browser.

Give it a try with this cracker
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	3.15 MB 
ID:	32793-
    you seem to be missing some mirrors.......

fred

TNT 899 (2013)
    Tornado 900(sold)
    MV F4 1000 (2010)
    TNT 899s (sold)
    Tornado 1130 (sold)

Name
    Mark Hollingsworth
    Member #
    When I upload to the site (not using an external server like Photobucket)- it gives an option of image size when you pick the file (choose image size is at the bottom of the window after you pick the file attatchment)

works great on the iPad when uploading from the Photos app.

Mark
    Here is small.

Pet Peeve - Posted Image Size - it doesn't have to be so BIG-e1017b11-7319-4ad4-a5cb-11b3a7093c1c.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by fredzedex View Post
    and any idea for those of us that use iPads only (bit of a tech ignoramus here).......?

fred

ps. It’s good to see more people using the forum again
    1978 Benelli sei, 1973 Benelli 250 SuperSport, 1968 Benelli Dynamo Trail, various OSSAs, Betas

Name
    simon stokes
    Member #
    Mmmm......

I’m pretty sure I’d don’t get the ‘choose image size’ option.

I go with manage attachments
    add files
    choose file
    then I pick the photo from my device
    Upload
    Done, can’t see anywhere to choose the size........?

Fred

TNT 899 (2013)
    Tornado 900(sold)
    MV F4 1000 (2010)
    TNT 899s (sold)
    Tornado 1130 (sold)

Name
    Mark Hollingsworth
    Member #
    Here are a couple of screen shots.
    iPad (12.9 Pro) IOS 13.3.1, Safari

Interestingly, perhaps since these screen shots are already cropped- I did not get the ‘size’ option when posting the screen shots.
    but for larger pictures I certainly did.
    hope this helps.
    (Yes, in ‘Manage Attatchements’)

Pet Peeve - Posted Image Size - it doesn't have to be so BIG-61baf864-331a-46b9-8916-06983a46d071.jpeg

Pet Peeve - Posted Image Size - it doesn't have to be so BIG-78ea0254-0070-4c21-888e-6cdd96584b9c.jpeg
    1978 Benelli sei, 1973 Benelli 250 SuperSport, 1968 Benelli Dynamo Trail, various OSSAs, Betas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors