LCD shows "ddd" on startup instead of "888" - partial LCD loss
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: LCD shows "ddd" on startup instead of "888" - partial LCD loss

Name
    Barry Bridge
    Member #

LCD shows "ddd" on startup instead of "888" - partial LCD loss

Hi folks, after a few thousand flawless miles on my 05 TnT 1130, on 2nd start in garage couple of weeks ago it died and tried but wouldn't spin motor, so we jumped it with another battery, it started, then on disconnecting it died again - tested battery, 2V under load, shorted cells, still battery was over 3 years 3 months old, so the Battery Tender did its thing pretty well.

Put in new AGM battery, all good, started up, rode around block, display normal...

Next day, after starting, two things happened:

1. Display self-test showed "ddd" instead of "888" and once running, same segments dead for mph readout, along with various others (e.g., some fuel gauge bars dead too).
    2. Check engine wrench showed up.

I assume it's a coincidence re "check engine" as it's based on miles...

But wonder if battery issue nuked (part of) a display driver.

Anyone had this happen?

Or taken the instrument panel apart to see if it has chips that can be replaced? (I have the gear to replace surface mount or conventional components).

Meanwhile bike runs fine (service next week) except for interesting time trying to figure out what speed is - getting the third digit up helps provide a marker of sorts

Cheers
    Barry

PS - LOVE the forum upgrade, it hasn't kicked me off once...
    05 Benelli TnT 1130 (R&G t-tidy & sliders; Carbon.sk belly bits installed on home-hewn brackets ; BS-Motoparts chain guard ; 98 BMW K1200RS (various adds & mods)

Member #
    As you say, it could be a coincidence that it went at the same time as the jump-start but then again maybe not

Its always worth having the ignition switched off when connecting batteries just in case you get some induced spikes which kills the electronics

You might have to look out for some new clocks. - The LCD is going to be fairly specific to Nellis (there may be another bike out there with the same one but I've not heard of it) and then again the circuitry on the back will be tailored to the ECU. So I can't see you finding a replacment LCD easily

Or just keep it up there at 3 digits

Name
    pedro miguel ferreira rodrigues
    Member #
    Hi there, it happened in a older car I have in Mitsubishi space star the computer display lost some digits I opened and weld the display in the circuit board, with the vibration this soldering points usually break.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Barry Bridge
    Member #
    Yeh spikes definitely a possibility re nuking something... there was a bit of fumbling around with the cables and a spark or two, but I'll blame that on my friend Eddy who was "helping" as this happened right when we were leaving for a ride. At least the BMW got to see some road that day, apart from grocery runs it's been a bit neglected since the Nelli arrived.

Time to pull it out and apart and see if there's anything visibly wrong, or whether there are any recognizable/identifiable components of the right type that aren't programmed parts like the TI application processors used in some Nellies and Dücs, blah blah blah enough with the idle pessimistic conjecture already.

If I'm lucky it'll just be broken contacts/connections as Pedro suggests.

Will post any findings of potential value.
    05 Benelli TnT 1130 (R&G t-tidy & sliders; Carbon.sk belly bits installed on home-hewn brackets ; BS-Motoparts chain guard ; 98 BMW K1200RS (various adds & mods)

Sponsors