Cam chain tensioner not moving in 20000 km. Is that normal?
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Cam chain tensioner not moving in 20000 km. Is that normal?

  1. #1
    Senior Member tucandugu's Avatar
    Member #
    7370
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    452

    Cam chain tensioner not moving in 20000 km. Is that normal?

    Hi guys. As recommended by the master Errol, since my TNT Sport EVO 2008 had 20000 km., I have been measuring periodically the cam chain plunger deep.

    Nevertheless, every time I measure it, is giving the same deep: 49 mm., until now, just done 40000 km ...Anybody knows if is that normal?. Is expected that this size must increase progressively with the chain wear, being a way to indicate its condition. So, no having any movement in the last 20000 km, worries me.


    Somebody is controlling that?. Which are the measures you guys get from this?. Any other way to check if the cam tensioner is working properly?.


    Thanks!.


    Carles.
    Benelli TNT 1130 Sport EVO 2008 - Benelli 750 Sei 1977 - Moto Guzzi 65cc 1957 - Vespa Primavera 125 1977

  2. #2
    Senior Member Engenia's Avatar
    Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    27
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canberra, ACT, Australia
    Posts
    5,460
    Holy shit man!
    You need to find out what's going on inside that engine now! Don't start it until you know.
    Either you are measuring it wrong or the moving guide is stuck - which means that the chain is slapping about inside and gradually destroying itself.

    OK. Granted the standard 1130 isn't as stressed as the 900, so you shouldn't see as much movement, but you should see some.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

  3. #3
    Senior Member tucandugu's Avatar
    Member #
    7370
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by Engenia View Post
    Holy shit man!
    You need to find out what's going on inside that engine now! Don't start it until you know.
    Either you are measuring it wrong or the moving guide is stuck - which means that the chain is slapping about inside and gradually destroying itself.

    OK. Granted the standard 1130 isn't as stressed as the 900, so you shouldn't see as much movement, but you should see some.
    Ei, thanks Errol!.

    However, I did not notice any excessive noise. What do you suggest?. Remove the tensioner to check the guide?. Do I need any precaution to do so ?.
    Benelli TNT 1130 Sport EVO 2008 - Benelli 750 Sei 1977 - Moto Guzzi 65cc 1957 - Vespa Primavera 125 1977

  4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member Engenia's Avatar
    Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    27
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canberra, ACT, Australia
    Posts
    5,460
    You probably wouldn't notice any additional noise, unless you could compare with another 1130. No-one has ever remarked that they thought the chain was noisy in a Benelli triple just before the chain broke! They aren't a quiet engine at the best of times.
    Best way to check yours is to remove the cam cover and eyeball the moving guide to see if it is stuck. Try to probe the chain to see if it is slack.
    If it is an old brownish guide it could have bent sideways as the stresses slowly relieved themselves in the heat. Check Fig.10 HERE
    You can't see anything but the back of the guide when you remove the tensioner.
    tucandugu likes this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

  6. #5
    Senior Member tucandugu's Avatar
    Member #
    7370
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by Engenia View Post
    You probably wouldn't notice any additional noise, unless you could compare with another 1130. No-one has ever remarked that they thought the chain was noisy in a Benelli triple just before the chain broke! They aren't a quiet engine at the best of times.
    Best way to check yours is to remove the cam cover and eyeball the moving guide to see if it is stuck. Try to probe the chain to see if it is slack.
    If it is an old brownish guide it could have bent sideways as the stresses slowly relieved themselves in the heat. Check Fig.10 HERE
    You can't see anything but the back of the guide when you remove the tensioner.
    Thanks so much, Sir!.
    Will try to check all this inmediatly. What a great link!, now I can figure why a tensioner can be locked by the guide. Will post what I find there.
    A doubt still I have is, what deep for a TNT tensioner must be expected for 40000 km?.
    Benelli TNT 1130 Sport EVO 2008 - Benelli 750 Sei 1977 - Moto Guzzi 65cc 1957 - Vespa Primavera 125 1977

  7. #6
    Senior Member Engenia's Avatar
    Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    27
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canberra, ACT, Australia
    Posts
    5,460
    Quote Originally Posted by tucandugu View Post
    A doubt still I have is, what deep for a TNT tensioner must be expected for 40000 km?.
    I haven't any experience with an 1130, so I can't say for sure. The Tornado chain is stuffed at 25,000 km and had moved from about 45mm to 55mm. the tensioner stops working at 57 mm.
    Where is starts from depends on the dimensions of the guide. Where it ends depends on chain wear.
    The chain on your 1130 is scheduled to be replaced at 40,000 km because the valve springs are lighter than the 900 Tornado. I suspect that the 1130 Tornado has the stronger springs as well, to get it's 160+ hp, so it's replacement period would be the same as it's little sister. (Anyone with an 1130 Tornado can chime in here)
    tucandugu and ron d like this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Member #
    14194
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by Engenia View Post
    I haven't any experience with an 1130, so I can't say for sure. The Tornado chain is stuffed at 25,000 km and had moved from about 45mm to 55mm. the tensioner stops working at 57 mm.
    Where is starts from depends on the dimensions of the guide. Where it ends depends on chain wear.
    The chain on your 1130 is scheduled to be replaced at 40,000 km because the valve springs are lighter than the 900 Tornado. I suspect that the 1130 Tornado has the stronger springs as well, to get it's 160+ hp, so it's replacement period would be the same as it's little sister. (Anyone with an 1130 Tornado can chime in here)

    Firstly

    1130 tornado s do not make 160 + bhp, just spent a lot of time on the dyno to get 152.8 a fair figure for the marque. Best results were from the std can wired open , baffle removed, flaps removed from the air box That beat an aftermarket can, no restriction at all.
    timing chain wear , I am monitoring it to date it has gone approx. 6 mm in in 8 K miles. so would expect replacement duration to be much the same.
    Is there not a better timing chain, tensioner seems to show little wear but the chain stretches.

    best regards to you Errol

  9. #8
    Senior Member tucandugu's Avatar
    Member #
    7370
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post
    Firstly

    I am monitoring it to date it has gone approx. 6 mm in in 8 K miles. so would expect replacement duration to be much the same.
    Is there not a better timing chain, tensioner seems to show little wear but the chain stretches.
    Hi, Firstly. So, which is the total deep you measured in the tensioner and how many miles?.
    Benelli TNT 1130 Sport EVO 2008 - Benelli 750 Sei 1977 - Moto Guzzi 65cc 1957 - Vespa Primavera 125 1977

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Member #
    14194
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by tucandugu View Post
    Hi, Firstly. So, which is the total deep you measured in the tensioner and how many miles?.
    hello, I have an 1130 Tre Tornado
    I bought the bike second hand from its original first owner who had the bike dealer maintained, so have no datum point to relate to.

    On the assumption, from Errols excellent guide, the tensioner was 39 mm in when new. (I guess)
    It is now 45 mm in, so I calculate it has taken up 6 mm, the bike has just reached 8000 miles. I would predict it will need changing around 16000.
    I think you will find that is Errols life expectancy on Tornado 900 cam chains, so I think they will be very similar.
    Next service, Oil change plugs etc, will check it again, that will give me an indication from 8000 to 10000 miles, logically if the wear is constant I would expect it to be over 45 mm in.
    I think the max is about 51 mm.
    tucandugu likes this.

  11. #10
    Senior Member tucandugu's Avatar
    Member #
    7370
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post
    hello, I have an 1130 Tre Tornado
    I bought the bike second hand from its original first owner who had the bike dealer maintained, so have no datum point to relate to.

    On the assumption, from Errols excellent guide, the tensioner was 39 mm in when new. (I guess)
    It is now 45 mm in, so I calculate it has taken up 6 mm, the bike has just reached 8000 miles. I would predict it will need changing around 16000.
    I think you will find that is Errols life expectancy on Tornado 900 cam chains, so I think they will be very similar.
    Next service, Oil change plugs etc, will check it again, that will give me an indication from 8000 to 10000 miles, logically if the wear is constant I would expect it to be over 45 mm in.
    I think the max is about 51 mm.
    Great, thanks for your information. If I´am not wrong, according to Errol´s web information, the max is about 57 mm...
    Benelli TNT 1130 Sport EVO 2008 - Benelli 750 Sei 1977 - Moto Guzzi 65cc 1957 - Vespa Primavera 125 1977

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Cam Chain Tensioner
    By StruthTRE in forum Tornado Tre
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-10-2013, 10:53 AM
  2. FS Cam chain tensioner
    By aussie RS in forum Classifieds-For Sale/Wanted
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2012, 11:47 PM
  3. Correct Cam Chain Tensioner Installation?
    By Amazon Man in forum TreK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-22-2010, 07:24 AM
  4. Cam Chain Tensioner any thoughts ?
    By SussexTre in forum Tornado Tre
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-15-2008, 06:09 PM
  5. Cam Chain Tensioner
    By Engenia in forum Tornado Tre
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-30-2007, 12:13 PM

Search tags for this page

benelli tnt 1130 timing marks

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Google+