Where did that ball bearing come from ?
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where did that ball bearing come from ?

Name
    Derek Clarkson
    Member #

Where did that ball bearing come from ? - the Directors Cut

Ok, so after 3 months I finally get a call from the store to say the stepper motor is in and could I bring the bike in to get it replaced. It's the next day and I ring the mechanics to see when it's going to be ready, keeping in mind of course that I am going to the Melbourne Toy Run this week end.

So Calvin, gets on the phone and says "You won't believe this ...". Seems they have replaced the stepper motor, run up the engine and everything is perrrfect. They take out the sump plug to replace the oil and oh oh ! Attached is a loose single ball bearing ! Where did that come from ?

So Calvin dives into the manual trying to figure out where the bearing could have originated. He tells me it's not from the crank end because they don't have those sorts of bearings and most of the others don't use bearings of that size. He think perhaps the clutch. But the odd thing is that the bearing is in brand new condition and the motors working perfectly. Currently he's thinking it could have been accidentally dropped into the bottom of the engine when it was built 5,000ks ago in Italy and it's only just recently managed to come near the sump plug, which is magnetic. You would expect that if a bearing came apart enough to drop at least one ball it would fark the engine very quickly, but the engine appears to be fine so it's a miracle it didn't. If the bearing was in since assembly it's amazing it didn't float into something critical in 5,000ks.

Anyways, Calvin's now going to spend the next couple of days taking the engine apart to check for where it may have come from and/or any damage that may have occurred.

So much for having it back for the Toy Run :-(

Thank god for warranties !

Derek
    Last edited by drekka; 12-19-2007 at 03:00 AM.

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Hi Derek,
    the shaft that operates the clutch (from the actuating lever) has a ball bearing at the clutch end. It's about 4mm dia. Have a look at pg 152 of the manual.

That's the only ball bearing I know of, that's not in a race. If you had lost a ball out of a race, there'd be trouble.

If it has been in there since production, it couldn't do any damage. It would just sit on the bottom of the sump.

Check the clutch actuating rod. See if it's got a ball at the end of it!

cheers
    Errol
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

Name
    Lloyd Benton
    Member #
    You took the words right out of my mouth Engina!
    Lloyd

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Derek Clarkson
    Member #
    Got a phone call today to say that they have taken everything apart and there's no missing ball bearings or any signs of damage. In combination with the mint unused appearance of the bearing they have concluded that it some how found it's way into the engine during assembly and only recently moved near the sump plug. So I could pick up the bike. They finished the service and loaded the latest maps.

I picked up the bike and it ran perfectly until the first intersection where it stalled. it used to do that a lot until the previous remapping so I just thought - one off. But the time I had gone 15kms down the road it had stalled a good 6 or 7 times, sometimes twice just sitting idling at the lights. The last time it then decided to do the "I'm too hot to restart" thing again and even after waiting 30 minutes would not turn over.

So I got the bike home - on the back of a truck ! Tomorrow morning it's going back on a truck to the mechanics with a message of get it fixed and sort out the maps and hot starting.

I need to find out if I need to have the starter replaced under warranty now because regardless of heat, it should be able to turn over.

This very much reminds me of the Aprilia. I had about 6 or 7 months of hell with it when I got it until I sent it back with a phone call which said - "Don't call me until it's fixed!". They figured out what was wrong and when I got it back I had no more troubles :-)

Member #
    Makes me feel very lucky that I'm only 5 minutes from the service center

I'd offer to loan you the scooter but it's waiting on a fan thermostat so it's off the road at the moment - how italian

Mike

Name
    Derek Clarkson
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew124 View Post
    Makes me feel very lucky that I'm only 5 minutes from the service center

I'd offer to loan you the scooter but it's waiting on a fan thermostat so it's off the road at the moment - how italian

Mike
    he he - Thanks Mike, but I'm now riding my girlfriend's new GSR600. At this rate I'll have put more ks on it than she has

Anyways, I had the CR taken back to a1 this morning by RACV. The towing company they sent out had a dedicated bike mini-truck. The tray had a specially made well at the front for the front wheel to go into and tie down points. In addition, the whole tray articulated off the back of the truck to lay flat on the road behind it. Made putting the bike on it a simple matter of wheeling it onto the tray and the driver hitting the lift button. Slick !

Also had a ring from Calvin this afternoon. He's having conversations with the importer's chief techo about various mappings and what they are going to do with the bike. I told him he could have it as long as he likes to get it sorted. He's planning to take it for some decent rides to test it rather than the usual round the block rides they give bikes after a service. Might have to buy him a bottle of whiskey at this rate

Member #

Oi

stop delaying Clayton's flight over here to West oz to help me out!!!

Name
    Derek Clarkson
    Member #
    Sorry about that But I think my bikes become his personal nemasis

Name
    Derek Clarkson
    Member #
    Heard from a1 today and the news is good/interesting. Firstly they have put the older map back in and it seems to be much better.

Secondly, Calvin tells me that the latest news from the factory is that the valve that the stepper motor controls is now recognised by the factory to be an issue. He didn't say how but I guess it jams or something. Anyway, Clayton from Stoney Creek is flying down next week with a new one they are going to fit as well.

So once that's done the bike should be spike and span

Name
    Derek Clarkson
    Member #
    I've now been back on the bike for a few days so it's time for an update. Basically I have to conclude that so far the work has been a waste of time. The bike is in fact running worse than it was. Today it start surging and farting on any revs above about 4,000. I gut feeling is that instead of running leaner which is what I expected from getting a new stepper, it seems to be running richer. I've noticed a return of the regular "hicup" (although not as bad as it used to be) and I seem to be going through more gas if the fuel gauge is correct.

I found that if I give it a good hard rev or two at the lights, it then runs smoothly for a kiliometer or so before starting to surge and miss again so I'm figuring the richer mixture is fouling the plugs. Anyway, I still don't have a date for the bike to get seen by "Dr." Clayton so I might just have to send it back to the workshop sooner.

Phone call to a1 tomorrow morning me thinks

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsors