Polishing the stock TNT 1130 Cafe Racer exhaust, from headers back
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By TinStar

Thread: Polishing the stock TNT 1130 Cafe Racer exhaust, from headers back

Member #

Polishing the stock TNT 1130 Cafe Racer exhaust, from headers back

Hi again, all. I had the exhaust apart recently to remove the valve flap, and then again to see if there were restrictors in the downstream ends of the headers (there weren't), or a catalytic converter anywhere along the pipe (there wasn't). While I had it apart, I checked with a magnet that it wasn't steel (it wasn't), and thought it would look far nicer if I polished it from road grime poo brown back to showroom shiny.

I still don't know what it's made of, but after a LOT of effort with the buffing wheel, I got it pretty shiny all over. How long it stays that way is anyone's guess. I wore out an entire sisal stitched wheel on a bench grinder, then used a stitched cloth wheel to finish off. A loose calico wheel was just not making progress. It wasn't just dirt and grime on the pipes, but hard black oxidation stuff too. If you plan on doing this, I'd recommend starting with steel wool or abrasive paper to get rid of the hard stuff fast, then polish the resulting scuffs. I'm pretty happy with the result, but we'll see how long it stays shiny.

It's awesome that the three headers come apart so easily. I polished a YZF600R (steel, didn't get or stay very shiny very long) header and the four header pipes were all one piece, which sucked to get between. I polished all the segments up to the start of the Y that feeds into the twin MIVV cans, so the big curvy donut underneath and the up pipe behind the right footpeg are nice and shiny, as well as (of course) those three sexy curvy headers. The bike isn't likely to be a daily driver, so hopefully I can keep it out of the worst of the muck and it'll stay shiny for a long time. And if not, I can pull it off and do it again. Or, you know, just ride the thing....

Polishing the stock TNT 1130 Cafe Racer exhaust, from headers back-20190103_185802.jpgPolishing the stock TNT 1130 Cafe Racer exhaust, from headers back-20190103_185816.jpg
    tractorman and yamahamad like this.

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Beautiful job!
    I find that chrome metal polish from Supercheap Auto works best. It tends to lift the muck and reduce the elbow grease required.

Another reason why I like my bikes to have fairings. They are easier to clean.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [139,200 km - and counting .....]

Member #
    Cheers, Errol. A Harley owner with some very shiny bikes recommended Purple Polish from Autobarn, and I bought some but haven't used it yet. I hear you on the fairings making things easier to keep clean, but I also like being able to reach all the mechanical bits easily. Swings and roundabouts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #

Thumbs up ...

Looks real nice. I bet it was a lot of work but the end product was worth it. If it wasn't for my titanium pipes I would have done the same to the original pipes.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Distracted Rider View Post
    Looks real nice. I bet it was a lot of work but the end product was worth it. If it wasn't for my titanium pipes I would have done the same to the original pipes.
    Thanks! Do you know what these pipes are made of? I assume they're the originals, with MIVV twin can slip-on. They're not magnetic, but apart from that I have no clue. They polish up real nice though.

Sponsors