TNT woes - Page 2
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: TNT woes

Member #
    thanks for that Andy.

where on the engine is the cranks sensor located?

did you remove it or just clean the connectors?

Ta

Garry.

Name
    Andy Scholes
    Member #
    Gary as you sit on the bike on the right hand engine casing a black rubber connector at the front .. I just unclipped, cleaned both sides with electrical cleaner made sure no wires where exposed and pushed back together and off she went .. try it there is nothing to lose and only take a couple of mins with no tools needed.

Member #
    well - it's been a while since I last looked at the TNT. Did try selling it as a non-runner - no takers - and breaking it for bits - no interest.
    So it's sat in the naughty corner for another 5 months.
    Meantime, I had an interesting chat with a technician at Bennett's who has worked on this bike - he recommended that the (then) owner sold it or broke it for spares as it had a serious fault in the wiring loom as it blew the ECU he fitted for testing purposes.
    As you are aware, Benelli TNT ECU's are expensive and rare and I'm disinclined to purchase another without finding the fault. But where to start?

Well, I've taken the (fairly) radical step of replacing the Benelli's electrics - harness, sensors, switch gear et al and replacing it with replacement parts from a Gen 2 Triumph 955i Daytona.
    Other than the original instruments, all the other electrical components are being binned and as much Triumph parts fitted instead so that the majority of the installation is merely "plug-and-play".
    It's not guaranteed to be a success, but it's bloody good fun!

Last edited by garry55; 07-05-2019 at 03:40 AM.
    ron d likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Name:  IMG_20190704_173900.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  302.8 KB

Benelli harness coming off - Triumph being fitted.................

ron d likes this.

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    I think you need to ask the question "How can a loom break an ECU?"

If you can come up with answers to that question, you will be well on the way to solving the (original) problem.

I wonder if you aren't creating a whole new set of problems for yourself changing the Benelli loom for Triumph one.
    StingerWolf likes this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

Member #
    fair point - but having checked all that I can check, without recourse to replacing every sensor /TPS / etc AND stripping the entire loom it is a choice between it being a forever non-runner or attempting to improve (not hard) the original electrics and maybe - just maybe - getting it up and running again.

The technician I spoke to, who worked on the bike, basically told the previous owner that it was financially un-economical to pay him to do just that.

Triumph ECU's, along with the majority of 955i spares, are rock-bottom price-wise. I can get 10 x 955i ECU's for what I paid for 1 (used but good) Benelli ECU.

I have no idea as to what could cause 3 Walbro ECU's to malfunction, but it certainly won't be ruining a 4th.

Name
    StingerWolf
    Member #
    I understand your dilemma but I see it like Errol. I hope it will work so the bike is running and you have fun again! I would be afraid with triumph wiring loom and ecu about map ect. and that this will damage the engine.

I would change the whole wiring loom with a used but proofed one then I would try it with the old ecu again maybe its working if not another ECU has to do the job. Yes not cheap I estimate ca. 650 - 700 Euro for both but no problem with map, sensors ect.

If all this is not working I would burn it down or plan B make plat "One hit for £5" for the next Harley Davidson meeting....

Gesendet von meinem SM-P905 mit Tapatalk

Name
    Mike
    Member #
    I got my RS running on a Triumph ECU when I suspected my original may have had a fault, and made a custom map based on the Benelli map though I never actually rode it. From memory the only thing that didn't work was the temperature gauge.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerj View Post
    I got my RS running on a Triumph ECU when I suspected my original may have had a fault, and made a custom map based on the Benelli map though I never actually rode it. From memory the only thing that didn't work was the temperature gauge.
    How did you wire the Triumph ECU into the Benelli loom? Is there a technical drawing that identifies the inputs & outputs of the ECU?

GBo
    Member #
    Interesting stuff I fancied going down that route with my dead ecu, but found an one from Romania and fitted that. Most inputs are probably similar. The wiring diagram shows what each pin feeds so if you got the triumph wiring diagram you could probably work it out. Lot of work though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsors