Benelli TNT 125 Tickover high
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Benelli TNT 125 Tickover high

Member #

Benelli TNT 125 Tickover high

Hi all as a newbie on here I'm seeking advice on the tick over of my 2018 Benelli TNT 125
    I have been a biker all my life but this is the first one I have ever owned with Fuel injection, sensors ecu, etc...
    The bike was bought new + been serviced regularly (Plugs oil + Filter Over changed if anything).
    It hasn't even done a thousand miles yet.
    The engine was run in correctly and to look at you would think it was still new.
    I know from research that a fuel injection bikes tickover is higher than the old style carb set up, (No clue why they did this) but reports suggest 1500 RPM is about right.
    My bike is always above that even after an hour on the road.The tickover is almost just as high as it is when cold (1600-1700 RPM)
    There is slack on the throttle cable and it's free from kinks nicks and routed correctly, also the throttle stop (Rest screw) has been backed off so that isn't the problem either.
    All pipes are clean not perished (But they shouldn't be due to the age of the bike anyway)
    Every once in a while my tickover drops so low it struggles to keep running (but that is very very rare Maybe 2-3 times since buying it)
    It starts first time hot or cold and runs perfect. I have the right spark plug gaps, good fuel economy and my mixture looks spot on. Performance is great for the size of the engine. The throttle is responsive right throughout the range (No flat spots whatsoever)
    From research I'm kinda going round in circles a bit so any help would be appreciated.
    The only modification to the bike is a Pipe Worx De-cat pipe and baffle. It was fitted once I hit 750 miles on the clock (When more than run in) (still I had the tickover issue before I removed the Cat so that isn't the cause) It's a lot louder than before and certainly seems to have a bit more grunt.
    It is still under warranty but I don't particularly want to take it back to the dealer if I can fix the problem myself.
    I can strip and build a bike from scratch including the engine and wiring, I fully restored a bike a few years back, total strip down, shot blasted the frame had it powder coated and so on, so there's not much I can't do in the way of mechanics electrics etc.
    Research indicates it could be the throttle position sensor (TPS) but I have had absolutely no experience whatsoever with how to fix or adjust it.
    For all i know it might be a throw away and fit a new one.
    Anyway thanks for sticking with this and reading to the end.
    Kind regards Col

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Col49 View Post
    Hi all as a newbie on here I'm seeking advice on the tick over of my 2018 Benelli TNT 125
    I have been a biker all my life but this is the first one I have ever owned with Fuel injection, sensors ecu, etc...
    The bike was bought new + been serviced regularly (Plugs oil + Filter Over changed if anything).
    It hasn't even done a thousand miles yet.
    The engine was run in correctly and to look at you would think it was still new.
    I know from research that a fuel injection bikes tickover is higher than the old style carb set up, (No clue why they did this) but reports suggest 1500 RPM is about right.
    My bike is always above that even after an hour on the road.The tickover is almost just as high as it is when cold (1600-1700 RPM)
    There is slack on the throttle cable and it's free from kinks nicks and routed correctly, also the throttle stop (Rest screw) has been backed off so that isn't the problem either.
    All pipes are clean not perished (But they shouldn't be due to the age of the bike anyway)
    Every once in a while my tickover drops so low it struggles to keep running (but that is very very rare Maybe 2-3 times since buying it)
    It starts first time hot or cold and runs perfect. I have the right spark plug gaps, good fuel economy and my mixture looks spot on. Performance is great for the size of the engine. The throttle is responsive right throughout the range (No flat spots whatsoever)
    From research I'm kinda going round in circles a bit so any help would be appreciated.
    The only modification to the bike is a Pipe Worx De-cat pipe and baffle. It was fitted once I hit 750 miles on the clock (When more than run in) (still I had the tickover issue before I removed the Cat so that isn't the cause) It's a lot louder than before and certainly seems to have a bit more grunt.
    It is still under warranty but I don't particularly want to take it back to the dealer if I can fix the problem myself.
    I can strip and build a bike from scratch including the engine and wiring, I fully restored a bike a few years back, total strip down, shot blasted the frame had it powder coated and so on, so there's not much I can't do in the way of mechanics electrics etc.
    Research indicates it could be the throttle position sensor (TPS) but I have had absolutely no experience whatsoever with how to fix or adjust it.
    For all i know it might be a throw away and fit a new one.
    Anyway thanks for sticking with this and reading to the end.
    Kind regards Col
    Ever get this sorted?

Sponsors