Cafe racer questions
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Engenia
  • 1 Post By ianh

Thread: Cafe racer questions

Member #

Cafe racer questions

Hi, I've been looking for a cafe racer on and off for what seems like years now. I noticed one on ebay at present and thought I'd ask for any opinions on it please. I think it is a 2007 model if memory serves, it has 2500 miles approximately. For such low mileage, it seems to be in need of some TLC. The forks, frame, wheels need attention it seems. The digital display trip appears to be defective...but it's a bloody good looking bike all the same. It's a long way away from me, which isn't too much of a problem as I've travelled plenty for vehicles, but it's a factor and obviously makes viewing difficult. Are these forks marzocchi, is the display fixable, radial calipers? Is there a certain year to watch out for or are they all the same? Any thoughts would be most welcome. Thanks.

Member #
    Hi if its the CR on ebay in st albans at the moment then its the same spec as mine. (mines 08 reg)

The black painted frame elements are poorly finished, lack of primer it would appear!
    What is wrong with the clocks? didnt notice anything. The clocks themselves are the same as the TNT and tornado, just a different finish and face.
    Forks are the same as the 900 tornado, thought the finish seems to suffer more on the unfaired CR, mine is the same. If bad they could be refinised but probably cheaper to get a set off a tornado from ebay
    Brakes are not radial, std brembo goldline, again same as the 900 tornado and bloody good, certainly no worse than the radials on the 1130 tornado.

Had mine 5 years and now 14k miles on it.
    The only issue i can think of is a potential hot start problem. Mine is fine but some struggle to turn over when hot due to too small tolerance on the starter gear. Bigger battery cables help too...or wait 5 minutes for it to cool a bit.

I know of two sold from dealer near me over the last couple of years and both went for 7k so price looks decent. I would go for it myself if i had the space !

They are stunning looking bikes, quick and decent handling (pics from mallory a few weeks ago), very heavy on fuel,Cafe racer questions-downloadz_130719_0817_festival1000bikes.jpgCafe racer questions-downloadz_130719_9517_festival100bikes.jpgCafe racer questions-downloadz_130719_9665_festival100bikes.jpg be prepared to get loads of attention!....
    Pre Benelli, ZR50SL, RS100, BMW R50/5, RD400, CB350K4, GPZ550, CB900, 750 KATANA, GSXR750, FIREBLADE, TL1000S, 955i Daytona, GSXR 1100L, GSXR1000K6.....

Now; 2003 900 Tornado, 2008 900 Tornado, 2009 CR 1130, 2010 1130 Tornado...and the diesels...Ducati 848 for when four italians are not enough... a 750 srad ....when 5 italians are too many.......and now an '81 Katana......for those mid life crisis days....

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ianh View Post
    The only issue i can think of is a potential hot start problem. Mine is fine but some struggle to turn over when hot due to too small tolerance on the starter gear. Bigger battery cables help too...or wait 5 minutes for it to cool a bit.
    Not caused by tolerance in the starter gears, although the 1130 benefits from a higher ratio than the 900s. It's the alternator drive shaft / Z25 gear that causes it. Read more HERE. (I'm somewhat surprised. I thought this was common knowledge by now - 10 years on.)
    Bigger battery cables allow more power to get to the starter, but if the Z25 gear is locked to the clutch intermediate gear, no amount of current available from the battery will be enough to bend the shaft enough to unlock the Z25 gear. The engine, when running has more than enough, but every time the shaft rotates, it has to bend, and that is bad.

If you have the hot start problem, you need to fix it, or bear the eventual cost, to the detriment of the Marque.

EVERY Benelli triple should be running the updated shaft/Z25.There are no exceptions
    fredzedex likes this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Hi Errol, yes you are of course correct.
    I said "starter gear" as many unfamiliar with the marque may not know what the z25 referred to...

Just wanted to alert him to that fact that a hot start issue was something to look for.
    Engenia likes this.
    Pre Benelli, ZR50SL, RS100, BMW R50/5, RD400, CB350K4, GPZ550, CB900, 750 KATANA, GSXR750, FIREBLADE, TL1000S, 955i Daytona, GSXR 1100L, GSXR1000K6.....

Now; 2003 900 Tornado, 2008 900 Tornado, 2009 CR 1130, 2010 1130 Tornado...and the diesels...Ducati 848 for when four italians are not enough... a 750 srad ....when 5 italians are too many.......and now an '81 Katana......for those mid life crisis days....

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ianh View Post
    Hi if its the CR on ebay in st albans at the moment then its the same spec as mine. (mines 08 reg)

The black painted frame elements are poorly finished, lack of primer it would appear!
    What is wrong with the clocks? didnt notice anything. The clocks themselves are the same as the TNT and tornado, just a different finish and face.
    Forks are the same as the 900 tornado, thought the finish seems to suffer more on the unfaired CR, mine is the same. If bad they could be refinised but probably cheaper to get a set off a tornado from ebay
    Brakes are not radial, std brembo goldline, again same as the 900 tornado and bloody good, certainly no worse than the radials on the 1130 tornado.

Had mine 5 years and now 14k miles on it.

I know of two sold from dealer near me over the last couple of years and both went for 7k so price looks decent. I would go for it myself if i had the space !...
    They are stunning looking bikes, quick and decent handling (pics from mallory a few weeks ago), very heavy on fuel,[] be prepared to get loads of attention!....
    Thanks for the info. I think I'll leave the ebay one, that is the one I was referring to. The clocks had a defective trip meter. It's missing pixels or whatever they're called. Not a huge problem but I think I'll leave it all the same.
    I've waited for a long time for one, so I'll keep on looking.
    Mpg wise, I don't mind, as I wouldn't be going huge distances anyway, just some riding about locally really. Iirc, it gets around 100 miles per tank? Maybe 30mpg at best? It doesn't matter anyway.

Cheers.

Sponsors