• 1 Post By Engenia
  • 2 Post By martinpanti
  • 2 Post By Engenia

Thread: TNT 1130 Battery and Cables Upgrade Advice Please

Name
    John
    Member #

TNT 1130 Battery and Cables Upgrade Advice Please

I have a 2007 TNT 1130 Cafe Racer I purchased a few weeks ago and it let me down today whilst at the BSB event at Donington.
    it started fine this morning and rode the ten miles to the race circuit all ok.

But at time to leave the bike fired up and then promptly cut out and would not restart as dash was advising BAT, the battery then died after a couple of restart attempts.
    Luckily got a jump start of kind car owner that had jump leads, made it home ok. Stopped and would not restart again.

bike is stored on an CTEK 5.0 charger when not use and was showing good this morning.

Was advised a new battery was fitted about 6 months ago, which is a 6ON STZ14S which I believe to be an AGM battery so would expect it to last longer as spec is 12v 11.2Ah and 230 Ca.

But don’t want to risk getting caught out again so looking to replace the battery can anyone please advise what battery is best for the 1130 and likely to last on a trickle charger.

Also can anyone advise what thickness or have pictures of the upgraded battery cables, as I have access to facilities to get some made up locally I think.

many thanks in advance
    2007 Benelli TNT 1130 Cafe Racer.
    2003 Benelli Tornado 900 (now sold).

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Going on my ownership of a tre 1130 k .
    I can only recommend a Lithium lifepo4 battery . I too had issues a little over two years ago with a so called top notch brand new AGM lead acid battery ,it Failed m a few times .
    So I did a bit of research and opted for the lifepo4 cells Lithium over the ion cells...
    I've not looked back once after fitting the lithium battery nor has the bike ever run out of power to start up . Also the special charger I bought for trickle charging a lithium is like an ornament just hanging on my garage wall not plugged into anything ...lol .
    Newbie likes this.

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
    Was advised a new battery was fitted about 6 months ago, which is a 6ON STZ14S which I believe to be an AGM battery so would expect it to last longer as spec is 12v 11.2Ah and 230 Ca.
    230 CCA is too weak.
    Aim for closer to 300.
    Last edited by Engenia; 10-08-2019 at 03:51 PM.
    Newbie likes this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Engenia View Post
    230 CCA is too weak.
    Air for closer to 300.
    Before you spend your cash on a new battery, upgrade the cables. It made a world of difference for me. StingerWolf in this forum sells those.
    StingerWolf and Newbie like this.

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by martinpanti View Post
    Before you spend your cash on a new battery, upgrade the cables.
    Do both. Low resistance cables deliver more energy to the starter, and a stronger battery has more to deliver.
    Years ago my 3 year old battery was unable to crank the engine when hot. I dropped by a battery place shortly after and had them test it. It could only deliver 200A, and that while at ambient. It would have been less at 0C. Point is, 200A is not enough for even a 900 triple. The 1130 has higher compression so it needs even more current.

Long story short - use the highest CCA rated battery in your triple that will fit, if you are using lead-acid. With Lithium you are spoilt for choice. 400 CCA is common
    Newbie and StingerWolf like this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

Sponsors