Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Engenia
  • 1 Post By Engenia

Thread: Benelli TNT 1130 engine stalling when fans turns on, or when idle

Member #

Benelli TNT 1130 engine stalling when fans turns on, or when idle

Hello there

Im the new happy (i hope) owner of Benelli TNT 1130 from 2005. I just bought it from my friend who bring bikes from Italy (im from Poland by the way )

The bike is amazing when it comes to riding, and its just gorgeous for me

Buut i have some problems with it. I read a lot of post on this forum about z25 gear upgrade (mine doesn't have this upgrade imo, becouse sometimes he won't starts when hot). But this isn't a main issue.
    Bike stalling on idle when i stop before lights etc. When engine is cold it's ok, but when hot, bike just turning off when im breaking or waiting for green. Not everytime, mostly. But every time the fans turn on, the engine immediately turns off. It's just like pff, i don't have even time to rev him, It's soo frustrating to be honest. After stall sometimes he starts immediatly, but sometimes i have to wait a bit, becouse starter doesn't want to turn the engine (i think that's becouse that legenardy z25 gear upgrade) Interestingly, when i turn engine off by myself, even when he is hot, there is no problem to start it again - only when he stall.

Other thing that i notice, is that sometimes engine ticks a bit, like one cylinder turning off for a second. Revs are about 1,2-1,5 when hot, but they are slightly wavy on "better"map. When i click other map "slower one" its littlebit worse. I also noticed, that my lights are turning off when idle, but i have read that it's quite normal for this bike. My Benelli has new sparks, battery (but it's 12v normal battery, not lithium one - mb that's the problem?) oil, filter and all that exploitation "stuff". Can u tell me, why my new love stalling everytime, specially when fans turns on? Temperature looks fine, i mean it's like "3/5" of scale when fans turning on.

My friend who service motorcycles, and sold me that one, looked at alternator, and it's looks fine (at least that's what he said to me). He also checked the clutch and replaced some parts there - much quieter now.

Im waiting for diagnostic cable to check it with computer, but i just can't sit and wait without knowing, i hope u can understand me

I will be very grateful if anyone can help me, cheers and have a nice day (or night if u reading this late ) (sorry for my english, if it was bad)

I forgot to mention - I have an accessory silencer. I bought him like that.
    Last edited by Tsune; 10-14-2019 at 07:41 PM.

GBo
    Member #
    It does sound like the z25 problem. Could the stalling when the fans come on be coincidence? Does it do it at other times. Obviously the fans come on when the engine is hot and z25 problem mainly happens when hot, is it slow to turn over after it has stalled. Other issues with stalling are stepper/TPS/mixture.

Member #
    Hello, thanks for u answer. I think thats not a coincidence with that fans. It happend 3 or 4 times (sometimes he stall just when im breaking, or just when idle but not often). But everytime when fans turning on, engine stall immiediately. I don't have even time to rev him up, becouse it's that fast. For ex. yesterday. I went back home, and i left Benneli on idle when i was opening garage doors etc. I came back, drive a bit and then fans turns on - stall immiediately when they turn on. But yea, few times he stalls on idle -> working very well, and suddenly dead, even without fans turns on, but fans are killing him even more instantly, like there is not enough power to maintain engine and fans running together :/ What u mean about temperature sensor? I read recently that u have to move him somewhere, is it true? Other question, is it possible that sth is wrong with computer or wires? I think that no one can tell without seeing the motorcycle, but i will let u know if I'll find out sth

But sth what makes me wonder is that he start instantly when i turn engine off by myself. Even second after switching off. But when he stall, even if cold he won't start at first moment. I have read that z25 problem always appears when the engine is hot, not only when engine stall. Or im wrong about it

Greetings
    Last edited by Tsune; 10-15-2019 at 02:39 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    You've definitely got the Hot Start problem, which you can solve by upgrading the alternator drive shaft / Z25 gear. You need to fix that ASAP because its doing damage. You may find yourself in the same difficulty as Sprocket, in that the shaft was so twisted that he had to cut it out.

Stalling as you slip into neutral when coming to a stop is a common issue that has more to do with the slow reaction rate of the stepper. It's common with many makes of bike that use steppers. It can be improved with careful tuning. But that is not your main issue here.

Your second problem - stalling when the fans are switched on has nothing to do with the Z25 gear. That sounds more like an electrical problem. Electrical issues are the first place to look when the engine simply cuts out. It's like when you hit the kill switch or the tip over switch deploys. Things get quiet immediately.
    Normally, if the fans are drawing excessive current a fuse will blow. That can happen if a fan bearing is shot.
    As far as I can tell, from what you state, the engine stops and the fans start, and continue running, so that would suggest that the fans are fine.

My bet at the moment is that you have a problem in the loom that is blocking a signal to the ECU only when current is supplied to the fans. Crank shaft angle sensor maybe? That would seem to be borne out by not being able to start the engine immediately - the fans would start up immediately reintroducing the cause. Waiting a short while would allow the engine temperature to drop below the fan switch-on temperature.

To test that theory you'll need to connect TuneECU to get an accurate engine temperature measurement - the gauge is notoriously inaccurate. The fans should come on at 95C I think. So remove the fans relay and start the bike. Let the temperature build beyond the temperature that would normally trigger the fans. If it will do that, then re-insert the fans relay while the bike is running. If there is a short in the fans circuit, the engine should cut out immediately.

Solve the Z25 gear first though. It does need to be fixed NOW.
    Last edited by Engenia; 10-16-2019 at 05:06 AM. Reason: added more detail
    fredzedex and Tsune like this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

Member #
    Thanks for that information I will tell everything u told me to my friend who is servicing my bike. I will let u know if i will figure out what was the problem. I will have diagnostic cable at the end of the week, so for sure, i will know much more then I hope, it's possible to get this gear parts somewhere

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsune View Post
    I hope, it's possible to get this gear parts somewhere
    Talk to / email Alex at Maniac Motors <[email protected]>
    Qty description P/N
    1 Alternator drive shaft & Z25 gear R300000081000
    1 Belville washer R310032007000M
    Alex has sold dozens of these and if you get him to quote, his prices are pretty good as well. He accepts PayPal.

You'll also need an
    M10x1.25x30 R8.8 set screw
    You can get from your local bolt supplier.

Don't put a washer under the Belville washer.
    Position the Belville washer so that it "points" to the bolt head.
    Use Loctite 243 on the bolt, not 648 as the workshop manual suggests. You may want to get it apart again, and if you use 648 you will have to heat it up, a lot.
    ron d likes this.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    You'll also need the matching Z25 gear to go on the new shaft.

Name
    Mike
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
    You'll also need the matching Z25 gear to go on the new shaft.
    The Z25 shaft and gear come as a matched pair with one part number.

Member #
    Thank u soo much, for all that informations . For sure, i will check that z25 gear, and upgrade it if I have old one. Im still waiting for that diagnostic cable to check everything. To be honest, im soo impatient, and i made some test drives today, and i noticed few things. First of all, i triggered fans while riding. They turn on, and engine didn't stall - but i have to keep revs about 1,5rpm, couse otherwise he starts to behave very uneven (is it good word? i mean rpm are jumping from 1.4 to 1.0k and he want to stall). Engine sounds good, only sometimes i hear that one cylinder "sneeze", and i can feel little pull. But since I'm keeping him on 1,5k revs, he didn't stall. I stopped few times for a second, and start very hot engine second later without any problem, he start just like this, like new one

I think, that the only think i have to do, is wait for that cable to check everything with computer. Becouse it can be anything, TPS, stepper, injectors, fuelpump or who know what else

Thanks again for that information about z25 gear. I will let u know if i figure out sth, mb someone will need that informations

Sponsors