1130 Cafe Racer
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1130 Cafe Racer

Member #

1130 Cafe Racer

Long time lurker...first time poster.

I have a 2012 1130 Cafe.
    It has a bit of an issue with it's IACV stepper motor....

Background:
    Ecu Athena (still Walbro?) ECU-1A with 402.12 tag.

New Sonceboz green tip stepper (ohms out across the pins at 51-56).

Pins 1C4-7 (black ecu connector) all have continuity to their respective pins on the stepper plug and no short to ground or each other.

There is voltage at initial key on with variable voltage from 2-3.6 volt on all 4 stepper plug pins.

The stepper doesn't run it's travel test when the key is turned on.

I can connect to the ECU via Tuneecu with both Windows v2.5 and Android v4.5.
    Both versions of Tuneecu show the stepper value @ 0 (I assume it should be 15?) No adjustment seems possible via Tuneecu. Any change in values to CO or Global Correction has no effect.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Member #
    Welcome, sorry cant help I'm a new Benelli owner on here as well. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will be along shortly. Maybe a location might help if someone is local to you

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Hi..
    But Does your bike start up ok ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Yes it starts. Idle is set at wherever the stepper happens to be...in this case fully retracted with full ports exposed

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Ah ok if it starts and idles it would appear to be working correctly .

Does it idle on its own when cold around 1500rpm ,? Or do you need to add a little throttle ?

Member #
    Hi Rick. The stepper does not move. Yes it idles. At about 2000+ rpm. As I said above...the ports are fully exposed. About what you would expect in terms of rpm.

The stepper motor ohms within specs. Motor also step moves when voltage is applied across pins 1-4 And 2-3.

There's voltage to all 4 pins on power up between 2-3.6 volts DC.

However it doesn't run. No test. No movement.

Member #
    Questions I have.....

Do the later Athena ECU's run the stepper test on power up like the earlier ones?

Anyone know the drive voltages for the stepper motor?

Average CO and Global Correction for the 1130?

Member #
    Hello,there is some pics from me.All 4 pins on stepper connector must have 12 volts when you turn the key on.Here it is how you can test them,1-4 pin must have 12v,alsow 2-3 pin must have 12v but oposite polarity.Stepper works just like I wrote,continuosly change polarity on the pins,that is how it mowes up and down.When you turn the key on,then ecu test 0 position of the stepper,than you have 12v on 4 pins as I describe abowe.
    Iff you do not have 12V,than your ECU have bad stepper driwer.

You can alsow test the stepper motor on the rigt way.Bring the stepper on some FIAT authorised service,FIAT Bravo,Brava,Marea 1,6 16v has almoust the same Benelli stepper and it works just like those on the Benelli.Almoust every Fiat service own a small divace or diagnostic toll that can move and test the stepper.That is how you can be shure that your stepper work or not.

Notice,On Walbro ECU it is not posibile to adjust the stepper,that option is not awailible with any version of TUNE ECU , or with factory diagnostic.You can only see the stepper postion when bike works.

Iff someone wants to see how burned stepper driwer loks in the ECU,write here.
    I will picture and publish here in this post.
    CO idle 1,200 for start the bike then adjust with CO analyser.Global injection 1.000

Member #
    Thanks mate. That's very insightful and helpful. Would love to see the picture of a burnt stepper driver. I assume it's on the ECU board?

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Kghost View Post
    The stepper does not move.
    It should. Every time you switch the ignition on, the stepper should step to closed, hit the stop and continue stepping on the stop. It then reverses a set number of steps ready for cranking. It calibrates itself like this every time you start it.
    Motor also step moves when voltage is applied across pins 1-4 And 2-3.
    What voltage did you apply?
    There's voltage to all 4 pins on power up between 2-3.6 volts DC.
    I've never actually put the CRO on the stepper windings, but I suspect that 3.6V is insufficient.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors