2005 TnT 1130 Front brake started snatchng... rebuild questions...
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mikew124

Thread: 2005 TnT 1130 Front brake started snatchng... rebuild questions...

Name
    Barry Bridge
    Member #

2005 TnT 1130 Front brake started snatchng... rebuild questions...

Lately front brake grabs and locks up wheel, especially under 30mph on even dry street and makes maneuvering say on dirt parking areas downright nasty... it has become impossible to modulate with two (or less!) fingers. Calipers are not sticking, and release properly. Don't know what's caused this to develop, I couldn't find anything relevant on Google, just stuff about m/cycle brakes that stayed locked up, not the problem here.

So I figured on rebuilding calipers, new pads, flush, etc.

1. Does that sound like it will fix this, or could rotors be the, or part of the, issue?

2. What pads would be suitable for spirited backroads riding, GG, HH or semis? Any specifics on brand/type?

3. If rotors may be involved, would resurfacing help/be possible, or should they be replaced? If replaced, is there a later TnT model's version that's a better choice?

Any advice appreciated!
    05 Benelli TnT 1130 (R&G t-tidy & sliders; Carbon.sk belly bits installed on home-hewn brackets ; BS-Motoparts chain guard ; '78 Honda CB750 F3 Supersport. (RIP '98 BMW K1200RS & '06 Honda VTX 1800),

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Could be warped rotors .. mine died at 7k miles and had the very similar feel you describe. But mine were pulsing sub 25mph .

So I bought a set of (Lucas )TRW MSW211 rotors and they are brilliant.
    bike is now on 23500 miles .
    As for pads I use Ferodo sintergrip HH they work very well for me .
    Last edited by Rick67; 11-25-2019 at 05:26 PM.

Member #
    I agree, warped rotors can cause this but I would have expected some indication like pulsing at the lever.

I just had another thought. Are you running aftermarket levers?
    If you are there may not be enough clearance between the lever and the master cylinder piston allowing a momentary build up of pressure in the brake line during use.
    Rick67 likes this.
    The TnT service DVD is now on You Tube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLUiKULlIBo

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryJB View Post
    Lately front brake grabs and locks up wheel, especially under 30mph on even dry street and makes maneuvering say on dirt parking areas downright nasty... it has become impossible to modulate with two (or less!) fingers. Calipers are not sticking, and release properly. Don't know what's caused this to develop, I couldn't find anything relevant on Google, just stuff about m/cycle brakes that stayed locked up, not the problem here.

So I figured on rebuilding calipers, new pads, flush, etc.

1. Does that sound like it will fix this, or could rotors be the, or part of the, issue?

2. What pads would be suitable for spirited backroads riding, GG, HH or semis? Any specifics on brand/type?

3. If rotors may be involved, would resurfacing help/be possible, or should they be replaced? If replaced, is there a later TnT model's version that's a better choice?

Any advice appreciated!
    I had a similar experience on the 900 Tre, on a trip down to Sammy Millers, it just came apparent during the trip,
    I stripped the discs off and cleaned and scoured them with Brake cleaner and fine wire wool, there appeared to be deposits on the discs, road grime etc. Pads were half worn , so threw them away and fitted standard Brembo new ones (OEM) . Cured the snatching , there was no pulsing through the lever either before or after. I use standard levers on "little nell".
    As regards the calipers ,just a good clean with brake cleaner , a pump out and push the pistons back in , all good. Have not had the problem since.

Member #
    Just a caution on brake cleaners.
    Some brands will damage the paint on your wheels.
    Ask me how I know
    The TnT service DVD is now on You Tube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLUiKULlIBo

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew124 View Post
    Just a caution on brake cleaners.
    Some brands will damage the paint on your wheels.
    Ask me how I know
    Good point , now I come to think about it, I did use brake cleaner on the disc. I took them off the wheels first, to clean and scour both sides.
    Once cleaned I used P400 wet to "hone " up the cleaned surfaces. The calipers, I used Alloy wheel cleaner which brought the calipers up to a "as new" look, removing both road grime and brake dust. New pads in and the problem was solved , that was 3 years ago.

Sponsors