TNT 125 Pain
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: TNT 125 Pain

Member #

TNT 125 Pain

So the back story. I purchased a brand new Benelli TNT 125 at the end of May. It's been driven for less than 2000kms.

Back in September, straight after I fuelled up. The bike started to massively misfire, almost the fuel wasn't feeding through the carbi (it's an EFI) so that isn't it.
    Video of issue https://youtu.be/Lqpzs5dT5pM

The shop has had since the 23rd of September until 10days ago. They took that long to diagnose the issue and appear not to really care, my thoughts are because it's warranty claim. Back n forth. Replacement fuel pump not the issue, apparently their CDI diagnostic tool doesn't read it properly so the need one from Benelli. In the end it was the ECU.

During that (almost three month wait) I emailed Benelli via their website, who promptly sent it to the dealer. Aka. Useless..

I've given it about 150kms since and and it's bogging or pausing when you first give it some throttle. Left hand plug socket seems loose and I've tried pushing it on and off again. Feels like it's almost popping back off. Aka not sealing down nicely.
    last ride it was stalling when no throttle was being applied (which was ****ing annoying as you can imagine and dangerous during peak hour)
    Managed to get it home and did some reading about my current issues.
    Tight valve keeps coming up?? Now thing is, the shop said it adjusted the valve as it was very tight? Could this still need adjusting? Is there a way of me doing a rough diagnosis myself first?

Few other things I've noticed, the injection fuse has a 20v not 15v fuse? Per the manual, could this cause any issues??

Some forums suggestions are to replace plugs and cables as the oem ones aren't great??

TLDR?

Low Idle
    Stalling when no throttle applied
    Loose/ill fitting spark plug cap/cable
    Wrong fuse (20) not (15) in injection fuse port.

Ideas/ suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Final note. The reason I've not gone straight back to the shop is (after them having it there almost as long as I've had a chance to ride this bike) I'm cautious to give it to them and wait another 3 months...

Member #
    So things I've checked. Spark plug connector (feels ok but doesn't feel like it's seated properly) I can push it hard on and it appears to lift back slightly.

Fuses (not sure why I checked) however. There is a 20a in the first connector (Injection Fuse) manual suggests it should be a 15a? (Asked the dealer, who said that they would not have touched them)??!

Fuel. Im guessing I was the same fuel in it since they had the bike (September 23rd) till 11th of December. I've since filled up and used half of a new tank. Residual old fuel?

During its time at the shop. They advised they adjusted the valve clearance (was very tight) . Everything I'm reading about some of my current issues point towards a valve? Red Herring??

I'll link two videos. First is just after start up (cold) and second warm obviously.

First video you can hear the issues clearly from about 1.30
    Second video is longer but it's hard to get it to replicate without driving.

Something isn't right, but given my overall experience with the dealer so far, I'm obviously cautious to go straight back.

Vid 1: https://youtu.be/6YdoOCRrYuY
    Vid 2: https://youtu.be/pvLKgtq8RxM

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Hi just listened to to all three videos.
    To me this definitely sounds fuel or compression related.
    im not familiar with these small cc engines it does seem to have a louder than normal tappet noise ,
    I may be wrong of course.
    It's definitely sounds as if it's bogging down from tickover upwards .

Does the bike have the same acceleration or power from when you had it first ?

Rick

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Hey Rick. Truthfully I can't remember. Once it's going it feels ok. I actually think it sounds louder than before I had down to the shop. Almost the difference between a car thats has a cold air filter installed vs not. Almost like it's grabbing more air?

You can feel something isn't right when you throttle off tho .. rudding annoying

Quote Originally Posted by Rick67 View Post
    Hi just listened to to all three videos.
    To me this definitely sounds fuel or compression related.
    im not familiar with these small cc engines it does seem to have a louder than normal tappet noise ,
    I may be wrong of course.
    It's definitely sounds as if it's bogging down from tickover upwards .

Does the bike have the same acceleration or power from when you had it first ?

Rick

Sponsors