1130 Cafe racer temp gauge
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1130 Cafe racer temp gauge

Name
    Daz
    Member #

1130 Cafe racer temp gauge

Can anyone tell me where there temp gauge sits normally & how long it takes to reach temp (according to the gauge)? Mine seems to go up to the halfway mark very quickly compared to my other bikes & goes slightly above half way on a run. It is 25c here today if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Name
    Rick
    Member #
    Sounds about right to me ..
    Here a screen grab of where my guage sits almost all the time once warmed up .
    Hope it helps in some way 🤔 Name:  Screenshot_20200130_204253_com_1580417126488.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  966.4 KB

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Don't pay too much attention to the gauge until you hook up TuneECU and compare the two. TuneECU will report the temperature the ECU sees. The gauge, although controlled by the ECU, does an imperfect job, although repeatable.
    The Tornado was marked numerically, but it was only close at low values. At high values, near & just into the red, it could read as much as 20C low. The RS had the markings removed, wisely, and they haven't returned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazz View Post
    It is 25c here today if that makes any difference.
    It most certainly makes a difference. With the Tornado, which is dependent on air travelling through the radiator ducts, even travelling behind a vehicle will raise the engine temperature a few degrees. The TNT radiators have much better access to ambient air, but if that rises by 10 degrees the cooling system has to work that much harder to maintain engine temperature. Once the thermostat is fully open, that's it. The temperature must rise.
    Last edited by Engenia; 01-30-2020 at 04:01 PM.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Daz
    Member #
    Thanks Rick, mine sits above the midway mark by about the same as yours sits below it.

Errol,

I'll hook the tuneecu up the next time I get 5 minutes and see what that says, do you know what the normal operating temps are supposed to be?

My fans do kick in when the gauge rises.

Today was a 25km run with fast country roads and a lot of dual carriageways at 70-80 kph.

Member #
    Mine sits just below half, slightly above half in heavy traffic. Never overheated.
    Pre Benelli, ZR50SL, RS100, BMW R50/5, RD400, CB350K4, GPZ550, CB900, 750 KATANA, GSXR750, FIREBLADE, TL1000S, 955i Daytona, GSXR 1100L, GSXR1000K6.....

Now; 2003 900 Tornado, 2008 900 Tornado, 2009 CR 1130, 2010 1130 Tornado...and the diesels...Ducati 848 for when four italians are not enough... a 750 srad ....when 5 italians are too many.......and now an '81 Katana......for those mid life crisis days....

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazz View Post
    Errol, ....do you know what the normal operating temps are supposed to be?
    It depends on your thermostat. If the system is set up properly, the thermostat will be hovering between partially & fully open.

The Tornado has a 75 C t/stat which is fully open at 85, but it's temperature swings wildly. The t/stat is almost always fully open.
    With my electric water pump, I'm using a 91 which will be fully open at 101 C. At speed the temperature is hovering around 92, and rises to around 105 when stationary, with the fan kicking in around 96. i've still got work to do though.

Generally a petrol engine runs best between 91 & 104 C with as little variation as possible to keep the expansion/contraction range small. The higher the better, to drive off water in the oil, but not too high to cause the oil to break down. A range of !0 C is considered the maximum. More than that and you risk premature wear on the bore & rings brought on by thermal shock, resulting in increased oil burn. The KLR650 is a classic for extreme temperature fluctuations. It tends to begin burning oil at well before 100,000 km. It's thermostat opens at 71 C I believe, but runs at up to 105 in Summer. That's a big range.

The CR with its big unrestricted radiators and dual fans should be pretty good at maintaining an even temperature within the open and closed temperatures of the thermostat. It's water pump might let it down though, at low to zero speeds.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

Name
    Daz
    Member #
    I finally managed to get the tuneecu hooked up & it went up to around 103 with the fans kicking in it want down to 90 ish, so it all seems ok.

Sponsors