Any TuneECU Guru’s in here?
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Redbaron57

Thread: Any TuneECU Guru’s in here?

Member #

Any TuneECU Guru’s in here?

Hey guys I’m having trouble connecting my 06 Cafe’ Racer up to TuneECU.

I tried with a win10 laptop and can’t get it to work.
    I tried downloading the android app with a Samsung tablet and it at least gets the program up to work however it just can’t seem to read my bikes ecu?

GBo
    Member #
    Have you followed the instructions to the letter on driver install? I think there was something mentioned about not installing them automatically. Can you check that the port on your laptop is working. Have you got any android devices you could use instead?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by GBo View Post
    Have you followed the instructions to the letter on driver install? I think there was something mentioned about not installing them automatically. Can you check that the port on your laptop is working. Have you got any android devices you could use instead?
    Hi Gbo yes I know the com port works in either com1 or com2 but neither work. But does recognise other things plugged in.

I used the android powered Samsung Tab with paid version of the app and I even tried a Samsung S5 phone with no luck.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Rolf Wittwer
    Member #

Tune ECU connection

Quote Originally Posted by Bryceelake View Post
    Hi Gbo yes I know the com port works in either com1 or com2 but neither work. But does recognise other things plugged in.

I used the android powered Samsung Tab with paid version of the app and I even tried a Samsung S5 phone with no luck.....
    What cable are you using? A USB to Serial cable with the FTDI FT232RL chip works for both Windows and Android. I have also used a Prolific PL2303 cable with Windows but it won't work with Android. Assuming the cable is correct, bike battery is healthy and computer/table/phone is charged, the following applies:

Windows:
    • If you are using a MS Surface I probably can't help you, since I suspect these were created by The Devil himself to drive people to despair.
    • For any other laptop, plug your cable into a laptop USB port, then go to Device Manager and see which COM port is used for "USB Serial Port".
    • Start TuneECU, go to Options/Interface/Serial and select the port number you identified, as per the picture attached.
    • Connect the cable to the bike via the 6 Pin Superseal socket, turn on the bike ignition & make sure the kill switch is in the run position, hit ECU/Connect and it should connect, as indicated by the little rectangle bottom right, changing from red to green.

Any TuneECU Guru’s in here?-com-port-id.jpg

Note: A lot has been written about downloading the correct FTDI driver but as far as I recall I have been using the driver automatically loaded by Windows 10, version number shown in the picture. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Android:
    • The cable must have the FTDI FT232RL chip or it will not be recognised.
    • Start TuneECU and plug the cable into the Android device with an OTG cable. You click OK in a dialogue box that appears, similar to the next picture, asking if you "Allow the app TuneECU to access the USB device?" If you don't get this dialogue box it means either 1/. Your cable is no good or 2/. Your USB to Micro USB or USB-C adapter is not OTG capable or 3/. Your Android device is not OTG capable. (You can confirm 2/. and 3/. by plugging a USB mouse into the Android device via the OTG adapter. The mouse pointer should appear on the screen and you should be able to move it about.)

Any TuneECU Guru’s in here?-screenshot_20200611-174130.jpg

• Connect the cable to the bike, turn the bike on, in TuneECU go to ECU/Connect. After a moment you should see the little red light turn green, in the bottom right of the window.

Important Note:
    If reading or loading a map with TuneECU have the bike battery and Laptop/Android device charging. I use a 10 amp charger on my bike. If you only have a trickle charger, the headlight relay should be removed so the battery voltage does not drop. If the USB connection drops-out through low voltage, while accessing the map, it might scramble your ECU and give you a lot of grief that might spoil the Benelli ownership experience.

Member #

Important Note:
    If reading or loading a map with TuneECU have the bike battery and Laptop/Android device charging. I use a 10 amp charger on my bike. If you only have a trickle charger, the headlight relay should be removed so the battery voltage does not drop. If the USB connection drops-out through low voltage, while accessing the map, it might scramble your ECU and give you a lot of grief that might spoil the Benelli ownership experience.[/QUOTE]

Rolf, as I connect my 2012 CR to Tune ECU, the headlight turns itself off. So I have never had to pull the fuse. Nigel.

Name
    Rolf Wittwer
    Member #
    Rolf, as I connect my 2012 CR to Tune ECU, the headlight turns itself off. So I have never had to pull the fuse. Nigel.[/QUOTE]

Yep. They do but sometimes while mapping, after connecting the 2 pin bridge and turning back on, it stays lit for a fair while. That makes me nervous, as there is no going back at that stage. With my trickle charger connected the voltage drops gradually. Of course battery condition is a factor. A tired battery will drop voltage quicker than a good one. I am in the habit of connecting the 10A charger to be safe. I don't want to chance the grief several other owners experienced when they lost the connection, disabling the ECU. The note was intended as simple prudence.
    Engenia likes this.

Sponsors