Fuse gotkilled if cluch pulledor engine stopped
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Fuse gotkilled if cluch pulledor engine stopped

Member #

Fuse gotkilled if cluch pulledor engine stopped

Dear all, i need some help with my Café Racer ’07

I just was simply riding it lets say about 10-15 vminutes, and it just stups. Everything got blank. No display, no llights, nothing. At first, i had a look ont he fuses. Yes and the middle of the 15A was blown. I could continue my ride, but after few sec, whe i just pulled the clutch and wanted to change to the 3rd gear, eh same happened. Engine stopped, no lights . Checked he fuses… and again. The middle 15A was blown. I replaced it with a 20A fuse, because i did not had another 15. I diceded not to change to the 3rd gear, i just wante dto arrive to home. And a STOP table came…i pulled the clutch, and it was over!! Needed to get another fuse…i took one which was in use. I continued the ride int he 1st gear, because no more fuses present. I arrived. Used the key to sgut down the bike and keep the fuse allive. Of corse, the fuse got killed.
    Soo.. for some reasons i pull the clutch, or turn of the bike, the middle of the 15A fuses got killed. Does anyone have an idea, what i had to check or replace?

Member #
    If the fuse box looks like the picture (attached) then the 15A fuse is for the cooling fans - I can't think why pulling the clutch in would cause this to go unless something is shorting between circuits.

I'll try and find the circuit diagram and have a think - Sorry not to be more help

Member #

Solved!

Soo.. i have taken disconnected one connector after the other..and i found the faulty one. The connector to the right back/brake light was the faulty one. It just needed to be replugged

The fuse box is the same but with different amps. From the left to the right: 20;15;15;15;10;5

And i really do not have any clue why the fan fuse got killed. but anyway, it is fine again!

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik_hun View Post
    Soo.. i have taken disconnected one connector after the other..and i found the faulty one. The connector to the right back/brake light was the faulty one. It just needed to be replugged....
    And i really do not have any clue why the fan fuse got killed. but anyway, it is fine again!
    Have a REALLY good look around those connectors for frayed wires. There's gotta be a reason for the fuse blowing, & you do need to find it. You're close, so don't stop just yet.
    hooroo, Errol www.engenia.com.au [136,351 km - and counting .....]

Member #
    Well done for finding that.

If you disconnect the RH rear light completely, does the fuse blow? If so the wires between the connector and the rear light are OK.

Like Engenia says, its likely to be wire shorting which will happen again...Usually in the rain, late at night!

Name
    drew kidd
    Member #
    Dunno if this will help but my tre (before I had it) had in intermittent fault which resulted in main fuse blowing only when left indicator was on on fast bumpy sections of road, it turned out to be the harness had worn through under the battery, the bike changed hands several times due tot his as no-one could trace the fault. Might be that the clutch cable is moving the harness in some way causing a short? worth a try anyway

Member #

The 30 Amp fuse killed

After a few hundred km-s at a red light, the 30Amp fuse got killed for the generator. No idea why
    Another weird thing is, that the house of the replaced fuses got melt
    I think, this is going to be a job for an electrican

If i disconnect the back lights ( one after one ) no fuse has been killed

I re-plugged all the connectors on the weekend. No it runs.... But i wont go far away

And the battery seems to be tired. What kind of battery is the best for my Cafeé racer?
    Last edited by Henrik_hun; 06-28-2010 at 03:41 AM.

Name
    Lorin
    Member #
    You might want to disassemble/disconnect (insure good connections or?) the rear light and check for pinched wiring from fuse block to tail light, as well as the brakelight switch. And an ohmmeter would be handy for checking from fuseblock terminal connection to tail light terminal connection for any resistance (continuity)...as well as any other circuitry where there is an electrical "Gremlin"http://www.wikihow.com/Use-an-Ohmmeter

Name
    pilgrim
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik_hun View Post
    After a few hundred km-s at a red light, the 30Amp fuse got killed for the generator. No idea why

And the battery seems to be tired. What kind of battery is the best for my Cafeé racer?
    Henrik,
    if you haven't already got a trickle-charger for your battery, it's well worth while to do so, no matter what battery you get!
    the Yuasa YTZ14S has lasted nearly 3 years and still cranks like new!
    Cheers.
    ps: auto-electricians are good people to know!
    pilgrim
    Motty AT: DNA airfilter: no-EXUP, no airbox flaps or manual idle-adjust: Shorai LFX18A1-12BS Battery: Eagle Screens Touring II modified: TNT Soft-Panniers & Sliders: Touring Seat: Renthal Fatbar: Best Recorded Mileage: 52.2 mpg, 43.47 mpg (US), 5.41 litres per 100km, 18.48km per litre

Sponsors