Core plug !.
Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Core plug !.

Name
    Tony Dockerty
    Member #

Core plug !.

The other week i decided to have a good blast on the tornado. It was a day off work and it wasn't raining, great. After about three hours of riding all i could smell was hot coolant . Never mistake it cos i had a Genesis yam in the eighties and the radiator cap blew off at 80 mile an hour all down the right hand side. Anyway pulled over to expect coolant pooling under the bike,! nothing, well kept on going guage in the red once i got going ,temp came down and so on finally got back home pulled into my garage switched off the bike and i could here a hissing sound the only thing i could think off was a cracked hose. Well the followig morning i topped up the radiator and popped round to my local dealer Phantom Motorcycles. Told Gaz what had happened he walked up to the bike had a quick look , "Yeh" core plugs had it. Wheel it in lucky enough ive got a spare. well i was chuffed to bits, got it sorted ,filled with coolant and done under warranty big thanks to Gaz at Phantom for keeping me on the road . My bike has done just under 9000 miles in 14 months has anybody else had a core plug go. Happy biking.

Name
    Kurt P
    Member #
    Hi Tony

If you have a search in the forum - I think you will find 'several' posts re core plugs - apparently it is very common with the Nelli's

When mine was in for a service at Bennetts earlier this year - Russ noticed they were leaking so replaced them (again under warranty)

I cant remember who it was - but they bought a tornado - did a track day pretty soon into the ownership and the core plug went either just as he got to the track or just after the 1st session (I think)

Its nothing to worry about- just one of the quirls owner an Italian Brand !!

Name
    David Perkins
    Member #

Unhappy It was me !!!!

As I lined up for the 2nd session of my very 1st track day at Brands the steward said the fateful words theres water under your bike mate, can you pull of to the side.

It is a really easy job to replace. 1 hour to remove the plastic and 10 minutes to do the Core Plug. Be careful apparently some nellis have two.

Bikes fine now, track day booked for 23rd, full curcuit at Silverstone. Yeh ha

Enjoy the fun that is a Nelli. I have a Bemmer when I reall y must get somewhere reliably, except when the battery exploded on that !!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Tony Dockerty
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtP View Post
    Hi Tony

If you have a search in the forum - I think you will find 'several' posts re core plugs - apparently it is very common with the Nelli's

When mine was in for a service at Bennetts earlier this year - Russ noticed they were leaking so replaced them (again under warranty)

I cant remember who it was - but they bought a tornado - did a track day pretty soon into the ownership and the core plug went either just as he got to the track or just after the 1st session (I think)

Its nothing to worry about- just one of the quirls owner an Italian Brand !!
    Cheers Kurt i'll have a look back see whats what . Any kind of guess how long they last then.

Name
    Kurt P
    Member #

Core Plugs - Question for Russ, Lawrence, Lloyd etc

Not sure what kind of expectancy you get out of them - my guess is between 18 - 30 months (ish)
    Maybe Russ, Lawrence, Lloyd or one of the 'elder' members can shed a bit more light on that one for you

King of the Group-Buys Laurencewhite's Avatar
    Name
    Laurence White
    Member #
    Hi Tony,

The problem with the core plugs that were fitted to the early bikes was that they seemed to be made of a mild steel material which corroded in next to no time. Chances are that the replacement that you have had fitted will be made of a more corrosion resistant alloy, so it'll probably last for years!!!!

Take note of the point that Lostsoul made regarding some bikes having more than one core plug though, because if you have any more, they will likely be made of the same material as the first one that has gone.

Check out this post for more info:-
    https://www.benelliforum.com/forum/sh...ght=core+plugs

Laurence (an 'Elder' Member)
    Laurence

Benelli Tornado 900 LE No. 49
    Benelli 1130 TNT Titainium
    Benelli 1130 TRE-K
    Benelli 750 SEI
    Benelli 250 2c
    Benelli Motorella

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    The replacement should be brass. The engine will be well and truly dead before it needs to be replaced again. Pity they don't fit brass from new.

Name
    Lloyd Benton
    Member #
    [Maybe Russ, Lawrence, Lloyd or one of the 'elder' members can shed a bit more light on that one for you[/QUOTE]

Maybe elder but certainly wiser than you wipper snappers!

As Laurence has stated, the later bikes appear to be ok, earlier ones had problems but once replace should never need doing again.

Re Engina's post, as far as I know, the only plugs I know of from UK distributors is mad of coated steel.
    Lloyd

Name
    Errol Kowald
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by LloydBenton View Post
    as far as I know, the only plugs I know of from UK distributors is made of coated steel.
    Lloyd, it's a standard size, so it can be picked up from any automotive parts supplier for next to nothing. Best to specify brass. That's what I've got in my pocket, ready for when it starts to weep, (but after 30,000 km, it's still going strong).

Name
    Colin Smith
    Member #
    Engenia, I have called in at several automotive part suppliers here in England, the response I got was either they only sell kits for a car engine or they dont even Know what a core plug is !!!!!!! Lloyd got me a couple of spares from Red Dog Motorcycles so at least now I will have spares taped under my seat should it fail !
    Colintornado

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors