Benelli Motorcycle Forum - Benelli Bike Discussions - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Z25 gear upgraded or not?

Name
    Mike
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post
    I am sure I can find a better way of putting it back together, without hammers and steel cold formed rivets.
    where there is a will, there s a way.
    Benelli and almost every other bike manufacturer use cold forming rivets to hold the clutch basket together, albeit they will be formed by a press and die rather than a ball pein hammer. In terms of shear strength, clamping force and resistance to loosening with vibration etc. vs the size of the head there's not much to better a rivet, which is why they are used almost universally in this application. FWIW a ball pein hammer is an engineering tool, and peining is an engineering operation, not some half arsed bodge that you seem to think it is.

Whatever you use, you need to make very sure it won't ever fail in use as the consequences could be very bad.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerj View Post
    Benelli and almost every other bike manufacturer use cold forming rivets to hold the clutch basket together, albeit they will be formed by a press and die rather than a ball pein hammer. In terms of shear strength, clamping force and resistance to loosening with vibration etc. vs the size of the head there's not much to better a rivet, which is why they are used almost universally in this application. FWIW a ball pein hammer is an engineering tool, and peining is an engineering operation, not some half arsed bodge that you seem to think it is.

Whatever you use, you need to make very sure it won't ever fail in use as the consequences could be very bad.
    Albeit ,they will be formed by a press and die !

I unfortunately, do not have that machine forming tool, A ball pein hammer is a half arsed bodge, even with a formed holding anvil to support the head (domed) rivet inside the clutch basket, striking the flat end of the rivet on the back side of the spring cage support is liable to deform and fracture the alloy clutch basket.
    Repeated striking of the rivet is a bodge. Thanks for your input, not sure on "for what its worth "

ajf
    Member #

Engineering shop

Hi, Almost every small Engineering Workshop will have a suitable press to put in cold formed steel rivets. Its daily bread and butter to them, cost wise it will be a cheap job as well as it will take them no time at all. Plus it will be done correctly......
    Tornado Tre 900, TNT899s Kawasaki z1000sx,
    Track Day Bikes, Kawasaki ZX10R, Suzuki GSXR 750

EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT IN THE END, AND IF ITS NOT THEN ITS NOT THE END,,

4. Remove Advertisements
    BenelliForum.com
    Advertisements

Name
    Cam Douglas
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew124 View Post
    It looks like the latest gear.

Details on what to look for here....

Engine Checks

Mike
    I don't know the history of my bike so I decided to do he checks outlined in Engenia's page in the link above.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to complete the procedure. The final step says "Go have a beer" but I'm a non-drinker so will have to omit that one. Will failure to complete the final step jeopardise the reliability of my engine?

Name
    Robin Shedden
    Member #
    Are you superstitious? Wine is an acceptable substitute ..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsors