Benelli Forum banner

Hydraulic clutch.

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  StingerWolf 
#1 ·
Is there a hydraulic conversion available for the Tornado? Must admit that after an hour of riding, my clutch wrist is killing me. It doesn't help having that right angled outer sleeve at the clutch lever end!
I seem to recall reading about a conversion for 2 or 3 hundred quid, but can't remember where I read it. I think it would be worth it if I could ride longer in comfort.

#3 ·
Different levers

Not sure if that would make enough difference, it's a pretty heavy clutch after a while of riding (especially for an old fella like me!). Also, there's still that horrible bend in the tube that must be a broken cable waiting to happen!

#4 ·
You have 4 possibilities ;)

1. hydraulic conversion kit, costs ca. 300 Euro (ManiacMotors can help you with that) (conversion will bring 30-40%)

2. clean the clutch receiver cylinder area (makes much difference 10-20% depends on how much dirt is there and will only cost time)

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Automotive design

3. the early Tornados from 2003 had a different piece mounted (much difference to the later version, you will find one at ebay.de Kupplungsnehmerzylinder Kupplungsnehmer Kupplung Benelli Tornado TRE 900, 03-06 | eBay but it seems its not 100% complete!

Maybe a forum member can help you with this part, too! Its possible that it will be harder to find the neutral then (I think its one of the reasons Benelli changed this part) I have tested this on a 2003 Tornado and it was like a clutch from a japanese bike :clap: it was a fascinating experience.... (conversion will bring 70-80%!!!)

Tool Automotive exterior Fashion accessory Metal Auto part

4. (MY WAY ;)) take this piece and make it a little bit longer (3mm is enough) (conversion will bring 25-35%)

Wood Air gun Revolver Cable Gun barrel

#7 ·
Thanks for that. Haven't had the bike for long, so I'm going to have a mechanic give it a complete going over and service soon for peace of mind. Might as well try and get this done at the same time. I'll talk to him about these options. Not sure how option 3 could make it any harder to find neutral though, I have to snick it in while I'm still rolling otherwise I've got no chance - not easy when you're trying to blip the throttle to stop it cutting out as you slow to a stop! Mind you, the mechanic was trained on Benellis and thinks he can sort that issue out. We shall see!

You have 4 possibilities ;)

1. hydraulic conversion kit, costs ca. 300 Euro (ManiacMotors can help you with that) (conversion will bring 30-40%)

2. clean the clutch receiver cylinder area (makes much difference 10-20% depends on how much dirt is there and will only cost time)

View attachment 20865

3. the early Tornados from 2003 had a different piece mounted (much difference to the later version, you will find one at ebay.de Kupplungsnehmerzylinder Kupplungsnehmer Kupplung Benelli Tornado TRE 900, 03-06 | eBay but it seems its not 100% complete!

Maybe a forum member can help you with this part, too! Its possible that it will be harder to find the neutral then (I think its one of the reasons Benelli changed this part) I have tested this on a 2003 Tornado and it was like a clutch from a japanese bike :clap: it was a fascinating experience.... (conversion will bring 70-80%!!!)

View attachment 20857

4. (MY WAY ;)) take this piece and make it a little bit longer (3mm is enough) (conversion will bring 25-35%)

View attachment 20873

#10 ·
Like your style Laurence, something about " a grip like a scot on a five pound note"
No, Seriously, I have both options
Hydraulic on an RS , problems , finding neutral, ! adjustment is absolutely critical, otherwise you are sat with the clutch in , waiting to pull off. If you get it right , on the coast in, neutral drop in.
come to a stop , buggered , sit with the clutch in.
Cable clutch , much better, can adjust the take up and get it just right. maybe you need a new cable ,or release yours and check it moves freely. that's on a std Tre 900
Last option is the 1130, cable operated , dry clutch, its the best clutch option I have, . I can even sit in gear , clutch in and can drop into neutral, up or down.

check your clutch cable , or buy a new one . only my opinion mind.

#11 ·
Mine was a 2003 year build, and the clutch is okay not heavy at all. I do lubricate the cable I am sure that helps. Still have the neutral game but have now got used to that so not really a problem.
Laurence`s hand grip would look great on a KTM.

Reactions: RobShed and Weary
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.