Benelli Forum banner

Operating Temperature

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  RobShed 
#1 ·
Gents/Gentesses

What's the normal operating temperature of the Tornado 900? When moving, it's just above the blue, when sat in traffic it will creep into the red, and that was with ambient temperatures of about 12-13: what's it going to be like in the summer?

Is this normal?

Regards

#2 ·
I've been told and read it's normal. Have the same situation on my 04 RS as described since i got the bike and dont mind it 🙂

In the summer it's the same, when jammed in a high trafic with a lot of standing and high temperatures goes to nearly red, as soon as you'll start moving the gauge will drop. As long as thermostat wont stuck closed you'll be good. Thats why i removed mine from the engine and run the bike without it.

#3 ·
Mine's had a hot wee in public once when waiting in standing traffic when it was really hot in Shrewsbury. Steaming in fact. I turned into a pizza/courier rider to escape the melee and all was good. Nelly's are not made for town and prefer the open road, Also, snick it into neutral before coming to a standstill (takes practice).

Coolant Temperature

Coolant System Bleeding

Robin & :ele:

#4 ·
Also, snick it into neutral before coming to a standstill (takes practice).
It's not practice it takes, it's divine intervention..... :D

To give the Tornado its dues, it was great on the open road, very good handling and great throttle response for a twin. With a few hundred miles under my belt on it, I bet I could lap on it as quick as I do my GSXR750 K8.

Better engine than my Triumph 955i, far, far less lazy.

#7 ·
What's the normal operating temperature of the Tornado 900? When moving, it's just above the blue, when sat in traffic it will creep into the red, and that was with ambient temperatures of about 12-13
The ONLY way to know for sure what the engine temperature is is to hook up an Axone 2000 or TuneECU. The gauge is only an indicator. It's not calibrated. Even worse, the Rev A clocks had an annoying habit of going off-scale and scaring the be-jesus out of you.
Three things you could do to keep it cool when stopped in traffic:-
  1. Run it rich. It'll wreck your economy, but it will keep it cooler
  2. Switch it off. Mine starts at a touch so it works well for me. I'll even do it when I've filtered to the front, I'm that confident
  3. Lower the fan cut-in temperature. You'll need TuneECU to do this. If you start the fan earlier, the temperature will rise slower from a lower point. It'll still boil if you are silly enough to idle it for long enough, but the time to boil will be extended

#12 ·
You wouldn't want the fans coming on much below 90 Deg. C
This as the thermostat valve open range is 75 to 90 C
It starts to open at 75, so not much sense setting the fans to come on below that. Anything above is fine though, as coolant is flowing above 75.
I haven't reduced mine, but I'd say it could be set just above the highest normal running temp (above 80 kph) when the airflow should be having more effect than the fans anyway. Of course, this would vary depending on ambient temperature.
You need to log the road speed, engine and ambient temperatures over a year to work out the best place to set it.

#14 ·
[SUB]b[/SUB]
I have a TREK 1130 AMAZONAS and the engine is to hot too.

I removemy thermostat like GORGH did and the engine goes ok.

I suggest to do that.
I would suggest you DONT do that. I owned this bike for 9 years and it NEVER overheated. I went everywhere on it and it was good as gold,just try to avoid town centres on hot days. All sports bikes get a bit hot in town..........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.